how far down in france to guarantee good weather (1 Viewer)

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Hi
we have just booked the ferry to calais we go on the 15th of August 2010 for two weeks not planning on booking anywhere just see where we end up but how far south do we need to go to guarantee the SUN.
Thanks
Ged

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We're off to Ile de re, which is near La Rochelle in August. We've not been before but apparently there's a bit of a micro climate in this area and it enjoys near Med temperatures.
It's about 450 miles from Calais depending on route

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi
we have just booked the ferry to calais we go on the 15th of August 2010 for two weeks not planning on booking anywhere just see where we end up but how far south do we need to go to guarantee the SUN.
Thanks
Ged

Approximately 1080 miles south of Calais - cast iron guarantee.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We went to Ill de Re in July last year and it rained non stop for 24hours!!! so much for a micro climate:Sad: We then continued further down the coast and the weather was glorious.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No guarantee anywhere..

however, go south of the Loire valley and the climate changes dramatically .. from a Northern European climate to almost Mediterranean ..

Further south on the West coast it gets even warmer but benefits from a cooling Atlantic breeze..

For me it is too hot on the Med coast during summer.. but inland and higher in the mountains is beautiful.

Wherever you go and what ever the weather you will Enjoy France .. :thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
In 2007 we went down to the St Rapheal/St Tropez area for 10 days and we only had sun on 2 of them. Wet and Windy for the remainder.

Hope it's better this year as we are going to Northern Italy on Saturday.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I wonder who can tell you where to get sun for sure ! Not me!

Although i'm praying for some rain at the mo since i didn't see a single drop for ages! Sun is burning , temperatures have raised 42° in the shade and i can't get rid of my headache since then . It's now a bit lower and we may speak of some fresh air (still 28° minimum in the shade) but forecast said still no rain this week !

Now i bet that if i tell you , you'll find the sun between Toulouse and Perpignan , by the time you get there , it will rain!!!!!

Oh gosh .... that's a plan! i could get some rain at last!::bigsmile:

Come on here!!! plenty of sun!!!!!!!:roflmto::winky:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

PS; Don't forget your painkilllers for headache as heat can be a disaster, cream for skin burns and a big tank of fresh water!!!

PPS: safe travel

Last edited:

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Don't mean to hijack the post (but I will ::bigsmile:)

we are also looking to go to France end of august and only book ferry. My only concern was whether it would still be easy to get places to stay at aires or wherever with August being the big French holiday month. We will probably stay north, Brittany, since this will be our first venture to the continent in the motorhome.

Is it going to be easy to find overnight stops with some level of facilities?

Thanks

David

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My only concern was whether it would still be easy to get places to stay at aires or wherever with August being the big French holiday month. We will probably stay north, Brittany, since this will be our first venture to the continent in the motorhome.

Is it going to be easy to find overnight stops with some level of facilities?

Thanks

David

Hi David

We travelled full time for nearly two years in France with a 36ft RV, using mostly aires, we had couple of stops on municipal sites.

The advice I always give is this, during high season, arrive early to mid afternoon and you will usually find space, .. however, be prepared for a tight squeeze on the more popular aires.. those in tourist spots and close to towns..

In the country, small village aires are much quieter and often more enjoyable..

Brittany is popular with the Brits.. and for good reason, it has stunning scenery, great beaches and plenty of aires.. it is very like Cornwall but without the crowds..

Follow the coast and you will find plenty of aires and wild spots .. and if you haven't done so already, buy one of the French Camping Car Aires books which you can either send off for or buy when you arrive..

the best web site for aires is http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm you can download the pois for TT and Garmin

also check my Google map for ones we have used.. link in signature

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi mizar we are going the same the same time as you. We have been to France every year for the past 20 and sometimes twice a year. As him says aires are busy but we have never failed to find a space but have to use a bit of imagination. As for weather? Well we are going to the alps this time but you have a motorhome and to have no fixed plans is best. Stop at mcdonalds. Check the forecast and off you go.

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Hi David

We travelled full time for nearly two years in France with a 36ft RV, using mostly aires, we had couple of stops on municipal sites.

The advice I always give is this, during high season, arrive early to mid afternoon and you will usually find space, .. however, be prepared for a tight squeeze on the more popular aires.. those in tourist spots and close to towns..

In the country, small village aires are much quieter and often more enjoyable..

Brittany is popular with the Brits.. and for good reason, it has stunning scenery, great beaches and plenty of aires.. it is very like Cornwall but without the crowds..

Follow the coast and you will find plenty of aires and wild spots .. and if you haven't done so already, buy one of the French Camping Car Aires books which you can either send off for or buy when you arrive..

the best web site for aires is http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm you can download the pois for TT and Garmin

also check my Google map for ones we have used.. link in signature

Thanks Jim. Feeling more confident now :Smile: I have bought the vicarious books guide to 16000 Aires or whatever it is called. My wife has "tidied" it up so I can't find it just now to get proper title, but I think you know what i mean.. :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Jim. Feeling more confident now :Smile: I have bought the vicarious books guide to 16000 Aires or whatever it is called. My wife has "tidied" it up so I can't find it just now to get proper title, but I think you know what i mean.. :Doh:

she is giving you a hint .... :thumb:

from your own advice...

Stop reading about it and start driving :roflmto:

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
she is giving you a hint .... :thumb:

from your own advice...

Stop reading about it and start driving :roflmto:

will be driving to Norfolk for the weekend as soon as I stop working - hook up will be cooling down fridge from about 2pm. Promise :ROFLMAO:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Over the years, I have found the better weather normally starts south of a line drawn from Bordeaux to Lyon. You are then in the influence of the Med region of weather, as opposed to the Atlantic region north of this line.

Hope that helps.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
But the worst floods on campsites - washing cars, tents and people away - always seem to occur in the south of France????

MisterED

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Sunny Aberdeenshire !
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 glorious years, previous 18 a Tugger!
Are all the Funsters in France this August?

Doug & Mary our palls with Myself (Terry) Hilary hopefully will be enjoying the roaming as well after a week at the start of August in a fixed abode ..... Versillises we head south via the Rhone Valley. Maybe the Alps, but most definately the Tarn Valley :Smile:

Our first forray in the M/H seasoned travelers in Europe in the sports car.

Looking forward to it intenselly ..... 8 days to go .....:Cool:

Brilliant site grat advice ...

See (most) of you all there...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back