How does this WiFi thingy work? (1 Viewer)

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi,

I am about to go from a landline based system to Wi-Fi as we are moving house and losing our landline connection.

Can anyone please explain how Wi-Fi works?

When I disconnect the Laptop from the Telepnone system a message appears informing me that the Laptop is switching to Wi-Fi but does not do anything else.

I have always had a Landline connection and never use the Wi-Fi facility so therefore i am Wi-Fi ignorant.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi in dead simple terms it is a wireless router -just the same as our wired one :thumb:
terry

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
You will need access to a wifi hub, either via a mobile network or a router connected to a land line. So if you are loosing your land line you will either need access to a mobile network through a dongle , mifi, or poss your phone. Or, access to some other available system, hot spot, or public wifi.

Hope that helps.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
WiFi is no more than a radio link between computers. It is not always a link to the internet. You could just link 2 home computers. Or a computer to printer.

Or computer to router. A router routes to the internet.

2 types of router. Landline and mobile radio ( phone ).

If you are talking wireless than you need MiFi a WiFi lump that connects to the internet by mobile phone towers and to your computer by WiFi.

Or there are broadband USB dongles, these a routers that connect via the mobile phone network and to your computer by a USB wire.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi again you want one of http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LATEST-HU..._Mobile_Broadband_Devices&hash=item43b0c546d7
done a quick search on ebay this is the cheapest inc P/P :thumb:then buy one of these-http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261089363851?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649- only for uk use but says unlimited browsing but only a small download per month :thumb:
terry
Link Removed

This is sound advice.. i use the same unit and have purchased one of these sim cards from this seller and can confirm that it is suitable for normal browsing and emails.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back