How does this WiFi thingy work?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by estcres, Sep 2, 2012.

1. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Hi,

I am about to go from a landline based system to Wi-Fi as we are moving house and losing our landline connection.

Can anyone please explain how Wi-Fi works?

When I disconnect the Laptop from the Telepnone system a message appears informing me that the Laptop is switching to Wi-Fi but does not do anything else.

I have always had a Landline connection and never use the Wi-Fi facility so therefore i am Wi-Fi ignorant.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi in dead simple terms it is a wireless router -just the same as our wired one :thumb:
    terry

3. Phill D

Phill D

You will need access to a wifi hub, either via a mobile network or a router connected to a land line. So if you are loosing your land line you will either need access to a mobile network through a dongle , mifi, or poss your phone. Or, access to some other available system, hot spot, or public wifi.

Hope that helps.:thumb:

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

WiFi is no more than a radio link between computers. It is not always a link to the internet. You could just link 2 home computers. Or a computer to printer.

Or computer to router. A router routes to the internet.

2 types of router. Landline and mobile radio ( phone ).

If you are talking wireless than you need MiFi a WiFi lump that connects to the internet by mobile phone towers and to your computer by WiFi.

Or there are broadband USB dongles, these a routers that connect via the mobile phone network and to your computer by a USB wire.

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Phill D

Phill D

This is sound advice.. i use the same unit and have purchased one of these sim cards from this seller and can confirm that it is suitable for normal browsing and emails.