How do you secure motorcyle to carrier?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by spindrifter, Nov 11, 2009.

1. spindrifter

spindrifter Read Only Funster

Hi All
    How do you secure your motorcycle/scooter to your rear towbar/carrier.
    I guess a pinch bar and straps round the wheels etc would be the way to go. But would appreciate and help on this.
    I am having a towbar fitted next week - but am holding off the fitting of a motorbike channel until I get some advice from you guys.
    My bike is a Honda C90. Any pictures would be great.
    Thanks
    David .....Spindrifter

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi. if you fabricate some pull downs for the axles from steal hooks and bottle screws .you no the hook either end on threads into a tube or similar (some times known as turn buckles).hook to channel then other end over front rear axle .you can take the bounce out of the suspension the have a further metal post with a fixing to a rear shock top mount its very secure . put another strap in covered steal over the seat with a big padlock. lots of wire rope and locks as well should keep it locked and safe.

3. GEOFFs125

GEOFFs125 Read Only Funster

This is a difficult one to answer as it depends on the type of bike/scooter and carrier.

Having travelled thousands of miles with 2 motocross bikes in tow, one thing I can definately say is do not compress the front suspension too much otherwise you will blow the fork seals.

The best method I can suggest, without seeing the bike and carrier is to chock the front wheel in a clamp/hoop. Use 2 tie downs on the handle bars that go forward and out, pulling the bike into the hoop/clamp. Do not apply too much tension, just enought to take the slack up in the front forks and to keep the bike up right. Use a tie down to secure the front wheel in the hoop and one tie down on the rear wheel going around the wheel and carrier.

When on the carrier the bike should have no forward/backward movement. On your first journey check the tie downs after a few miles, you will know when you have it secured.

Hope that is helpful
    Geoff

4. GEOFFs125

GEOFFs125 Read Only Funster

This is the method that Easy Lifter use for their fixed carrier:

[​IMG]

Once the bike is on the carrier, compress the rear suspension and secure with the adjustable arm. Then secure the wheels to the carrier.

Geoff

5. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

I use ratchet straps I got from the £ shop.

6. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

I use ratchet from wheels to opposite end of carrier, forming a cross to stop side way movement. Then red arm set down onto saddle.
    Clear as mud isn't it.:Rofl1:

Don