How do you remove a solar panel? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt autoroller 700
Exp
on and off 20 years
Great forum which I read reguarly but don't have the same level of expertise to respond to peoples questions.
So hopefully someone can answer mine. I want to remove a solar panel from my motorhome, it is bonded on with sika flex and wondered if there was an easy way of removing the panel without damaging the roof. It sits proud of the roof and is held clear by an aluminimum strip across the front and on the rear just in each corner.

Any ideas many thanks. Rich

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
depends how big the ally strip is really.

remove the panel from the strip...probably screwed or bolted.

this is how i removed the 'flying saucer' aerial on my roof.

you need a long 'stanley' knife blade....the type used in professional wall paper scrapers would be best.

hold the blade as flat as possible and work it under the strip, from one end, by pushing one end of the blade at a time in a 'seesaw' motion....just a few millimetres at a time.

DON'T use a sawing/cutting action.

as long as the blade is flat it shouldn't dig into the roof, but i cant say it wont happen :whatthe:

once you get the strip off you need some kind of solvent, i used brake and clutch cleaning fluid, to soften the sealer and wipe off with a cloth.

takes ages and you'll have sore fingers but it can be done.

now some joker will suggest some kind of de-gluer and the job will take 10 minutes :roflmto:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Great forum which I read reguarly but don't have the same level of expertise to respond to peoples questions.
So hopefully someone can answer mine. I want to remove a solar panel from my motorhome, it is bonded on with sika flex and wondered if there was an easy way of removing the panel without damaging the roof. It sits proud of the roof and is held clear by an aluminimum strip across the front and on the rear just in each corner.

Any ideas many thanks. Rich

I have not tried this on solar panels but it works fine with windscreen removal.

Take out any screws that pass through the joint, get your self some thin mig welding wire, its a little like the wire that is used to cut cheese.

Fit a toggle of some king to each end of a 2' piece of wire, (to protect your fingers) then look for any part of the bracket that has the slightest gap from the roof panel and try to get the wire into the gap. Work the wire backwards and forward so that the wire cuts and passes under the bracket.

If it looks like you wont be able to do one or more of the brackets in this way then have a rethink, you don't want the panel half off and half on.

Good luck...

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
wish i'd thought of that when i took the 'saucer' off Doug....much safer than a knife blade and less chance of damage to the roof :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Quick and easy way is to get a good strong wallpaper scraper - the old fashioned type :ROFLMAO:- then use it to cut through the Sikaflex :thumb: once you lift the panel you can scrape off excess Sikaflex :thumb:
ps you can sharpen the scraper a little, on a belt sander if you are struggling
terry

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No
Further to Doug's posting - we have used thin nylon fishing line in situations of a similar dilemna - I was suprised what it would 'cut through' - silicobe is a breeze

poacher

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R
Nov 30, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt autoroller 700
Exp
on and off 20 years
thanks every one I'll let you know how I get on but won't be doing it for a couple of weeks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back