How do you plan your trips?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Palmeat, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Palmeat

Palmeat Read Only Funster

Hello
    We're newbies and looking forward to collecting our first motorhome (Carthago Chic C-Line) in March. We've booked a few days in March and April (basically visiting areas we already know, to build confidence) and now have a fortnight in early June to plan. We're thinking Scotland and have some ideas, but having decided a broad destination, how do you experienced motorhomers start planning the detail? How do you plan your route; how do you select your sites; how long (typically) do you stay on each site?
    We're proposing a couple of stops on the way up (from West Sussex) and are targeting West Coast of Scotland - with a couple of stops on the return journey.
    Any advice and tips appreciated.
    Thank you
    Palmeat

2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Very careful planning we tend to do..

We usually start planning about oohhh as long as three or four days in advance.. Chuck the satnav in the van, fill up with diesel and go

The van is always ready to get going cos we use it so often ( very often just a one nighter somewhere, but still out in it )..

Some folk get a buzz out of months of planning.. If we tried that I doubt we would ever go anywhere !

• Like Like x 3
  3. stcyr

stcyr Funster

We live in ours and park it wherever we fancy .... :Rofl1::thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  4. lorger

lorger Funster

We normally start planning our weekend away on thursday nights lol.

One of the reasons we bought the mh was for the freedom. When we go abroad to places like France we booked our crossing and decide on a rough route we want to do and just go we very rarely book sites and when we do turn up we only book in for a night or two if we like it we see if we can stay longer if we dont we move on.

If coming to Scotland dont forget the South West as in Dumfries and Galloway some lovely places for the mh and loads of wildcamping if you need any help on Scotland just ask.

• Like Like x 3
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Rarely plan a trip in any great detail.. but do like researching sites, routes, and any attractions .. it helps fill the long dark winter nights .. and gives us something to look forward to.
    Nothing more enjoyable than laying on the floor with a map and trying to envisage the route..

Other times we just set off in a general direction with no plan.. usually toward Dover, get on the next ferry and turn right at Calais.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

Hmm, as I'm quite a newcomer, my trips are planned in such detail, the military would like them.

Back in December, I decided to do a Tour de France trip in July, it's already planned out and ready to go. I also planned the Lake Garda trip for April in full detail.

This is roughly what I do.

1. Use Google Maps to work out the route
    2. Then search on here (and other places) for any changes to the route and make the change in the Google Map.
    3. Search for any sites or Aires and add them into the route
    4. Make a spreadsheet (yes, I know) of all the stops, distances and rough times and keep the link to the route.

I then end up with something like this to work from

http://g.co/maps/p6mas

This is the Tour de France trip and as you can see, has all the stops on there. Normally it would have my home address on there 1st and last too, but this just shows from Calais

• Like Like x 1
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Go the other way !

Scotland can be grand, thanks to work I know it well, but hop over the channel and there are so many more facilities there's no comparison. And usually the weather is good and the midges are all on holiday in Scotland.

• Like Like x 2
  8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

west coast in June !......i wouldnt worry too much about route planning, i would worry about what midge repellents, and quantity, i'd be taking :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Just had a thought.....

This should really emphasise the sort of planning we go for..

Pretty soon we are off to Spain for a wee while.. The daughter is running the firm for me so that bit is sort of planned

The ferry is booked ( cos its cheaper to book it months in advance )

The pitch is booked ( we left a deposit on it as we left last year )

And thats it.. really.. that is absolutely it
    Woman will get a few days grub to chuck in the van on Friday.. so we do not have to worry about finding shopping until we get down to Zahora. ( ohh.. thought ! I did actually buy a new aires book but truth be told I bet we end up stopping with the lorries on garage stops. Easier and more convenient )

• Like Like x 2
  10. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Definatly agree with the above, go the other way. Jockland is stunning, as are the people (well those that aint down here:BigGrin:), knock off the 1 hr ferry crossing, and look at the hourage you would spend getting to jockland, then look at where it would take you if you go the other way. I can get from the Dartford Crossing to Luxembourg quicker than i can get to manchester.......have a think about it, and if youve not driven abroad before,...1) most satnavs put you on the right side of the road making it easier 2) once youve done it,..........you'll do it again and again.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Palmeat

Palmeat Read Only Funster

Thanks everyone - some interesting tips so far (now worrying about midges). As we're still working we have to plan well in advance - but hope to be retiring later this year which will allow greater flexibility. Good to see at least one other funster with OCD in the planning department!
    The new van is LHD with the specific intention of spending extended breaks in Europe, but thought we'd do some limited touring relatively closer to home first.
    When you've chosen your destination and route, how do you select your campsite from the seemingly hundreds on offer - or is making some mistakes along the way part of the fun (back to OCD I suppose - we'd ideally like a perfect spot every time!)
    Thanks again.

12. Lindylooj

Lindylooj Read Only Funster

We're newbies too have only used van 3 times but off to rally next weekend. We have 2 weeks in June and planned to tour around North Wales as we have never been to the area. Really used goggle earth to see the camp sites, check out public transport as we dont have a car to tow and whats in the area. We did a mix of sites and some CL to save a bit on cost. Think it 1 - 3 nights max and has cost about £200 for sites. As I say we're new to it all too so come year 5 we may be a bit more switched on and have learnt a lot more from the lads and lasses on here. Have fun :Smile:

13. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

========
    You target there in June , then squadrons of midges will be targeting you. Adjust your MH payload to allow for about 6 cases of avon skin so soft spray ( blue pack one ), otherwise you will be chewed to bits by the little sods.

Planning ? depends really. Might be a meet or something we are going to so yes basic planning . Other times can be spur of the moment , so can end up phoning ahead at fairly last moment to check on availability of known pub stops for example.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

They enjoyed ours so much they invited their friends round.

• Like Like x 1
  15. upmarkethippy

upmarkethippy Read Only Funster

Midges - Eat garlic from at least one week from the start of your journey and keep eating for the duration and you will have very little trouble with the midges.

Campsites - These are signposted from pretty well all major and minor routes so just take a chance.

Mistakes - How will you now when you have fallen upon a good or even better, a great site if you never experiance sites that are not quite upto expectation....

In my opinion all the above - good and bad - is what makes a memorable trip.

You will in time laugh uncontrolably about the bad times and love telling people about the good times.

Above all else, enjoy every minute.

Safe travels

Cheyne

• Like Like x 1
  16. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

We belong to the Caravan Club just so we can use the CLs. Each day, we know where we are heading and I'll call a CL to see if they have space for us. Sometimes, if we are hotfooting to a particular destination, we'll wild camp if the opportunity arises.

When we need to do washing, we'll stop at a site.

In France, we use aires, or ACSI sites if there is washing to do, and have even been known to spend the odd night on a supermarket car park. The trick is not be isolated but stop where there are other vehicles. It feels much safe. Also, Vicarious Books in Folkestone has a great selection of books which lots on here have got.

http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/

All the Aires in France is a great book and, if you are travelling out of season, the ACSI book is good since you can easily save the cost of the book by staying at ACSI sites. We also have the Camping Europe book from the Caravan Club, but don't really use that now. :BigGrin:

Ivy

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

different Avon produces maybe work differently for different folks but the commonest (and most effective) is the green pack.

18. veevee

veevee Funster

Hello Craig

The river Saone is one of the secrets of France, some parts from Auxonne to Lyon are the most beautiful river sections in France, in our opinion anyway.

To the ENE of Beaune is the old barge town of St Jean de Losne, I think the post code is 21170. If you know anything about boats in France this was and still is a major hub in France and worth a visit to it's large moorings and marina, they have 3 there. It may be worth a detour if you have the time?
    If you go the best view is over the bridge from Losne, park near the bridge and walk up the towpath for a few hundred metres heading upstream, north.

19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Thats a days run ( wellll.. done it in the Smart car in a day, and on one of the bike three times )

Tip for you.. go up through Germany across Austria and drop in to Trento and down.. Hardly any tolls ( unless you dive on the A22 for the last bit ) and some GREAT scenery

Where abouts you going ?

• Like Like x 1
  20. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

Sort of, planning to go to France this year, got ACSI book also Aires of France, thinking of going late may to early June, but still undecided, where to go from Pompy is ten miles away but more expensive, so its that or ferry or tunnel, if I go from Porsmouth, taking fuel and crossings into consideration, it,s £136 more expensive (decisions :Cool:decisions) what would you do?, i am traveling on my own in my VW Campervan:Cool::RollEyes:.............Del