How do you manage money when in France? (1 Viewer)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
For a month away I take £500 in cash kept in a safe with passports etc. and a Halifax card ( zero charges! - nil! - nothing! and a superb exchange rate) for almost everything. I have been mightily stung to many times with other credit card charges.
Halifax card for us as well. But beware the latest con. Although the card is free to use anywhere they now ask if you wish to pay in sterling rather than local currency. Robbing buggers then charge up to 4% that you now agree to by paying in sterling :madder:
Always pay in local currency :smiley:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Halifax card for us as well. But beware the latest con. Although the card is free to use anywhere they now ask if you wish to pay in sterling rather than local currency. Robbing buggers then charge up to 4% that you now agree to by paying in sterling :madder:
Always pay in local currency :smiley:
Thanks for the reminder, but it isn't Halifax who are robbing you but the bank who own the ATM. There is an explanation here. http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2...ys-pay-in-euros-even-if-it-says-0-commission/

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Apparently the payment benefits shop and card company if I read right

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Thanks to everyone. I have gone for a travel cash card , no ATM charges and seems easy to top up..along with a liber-t tag for tolls.
Will see how that works out!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Apparently the payment benefits shop and card company if I read right

You will get a better deal if you pay in euros and get your own banks or cards exchange rate. BUSBY

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Thanks for the reminder, but it isn't Halifax who are robbing you but the bank who own the ATM. There is an explanation here. http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2...ys-pay-in-euros-even-if-it-says-0-commission/

Thanks for that.
I have never been charged a penny by Halifax credit cards, in fact the exchange rate they give you is 'bank rate' not 'tourist rate' and is always at least 2 or 3 euro more ---- and I always pay in euro's and I never use a credit card at ATM's.

Reactions: DBK
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
But if you your Clarity Card into credit (by paying off more than is owed on the card. Can be done anytime online) you can then go to an ATM and withdraw the difference without incurring charges. Done it. It works!!!
Don't tell everyone - they'll put a stop to it if we all do it. :whistle: :D

Strictly speaking, it's against the terms and conditions. But done with discretion it does work.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Halifax Clarity credit card and a Caxton FX Euro currency card after great advice from fellow Funsters. 2.5 years now and works well for us, also take a Euro notes and a purse of loose coins. Divide up and hide the notes around the van there are plenty of nooks and crannies those that require a screwdriver or tools are best just don't bruise the screw heads it's less obvious. Your average tea leaf wants to be in and out quickly so hide it well.

Reactions: Sue

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Don't tell everyone - they'll put a stop to it if we all do it. :whistle: :D

Strictly speaking, it's against the terms and conditions. But done with discretion it does work.

It was against my own terms and conditions when they quoted me an interest rate of..... wait for it...... 25.9% for a loan. At the time I only??? had a credit score of 962 (out of 1000) so somehow they must have regarded me as High risk???.
I've been taking the wee wee out of them ever since.
I have two DD's that I pay out of their bank and each month I put in £750 on one day and take it out the next.
For that THEY give ME a £5 every month.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Halifax Clarity credit card and a Caxton FX Euro currency card after great advice from fellow Funsters. 2.5 years now and works well for us, also take a Euro notes and a purse of loose coins. Divide up and hide the notes around the van there are plenty of nooks and crannies those that require a screwdriver or tools are best just don't bruise the screw heads it's less obvious. Your average tea leaf wants to be in and out quickly so hide it well.

Cash becomes less and less of a problem as time goes by - it seems to dwindle away rapidly!!!
We also each keep a card with all the details of each others cards, passport numbers and bank details.
that way if one is robbed or lost we have all the details.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Cash becomes less and less of a problem as time goes by - it seems to dwindle away rapidly!!!
We also each keep a card with all the details of each others cards, passport numbers and bank details.
Great idea...will do that

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Same for us. Clarity card for purchases and tolls. Caxton and UKash cards for cash. We don't tend to take a lot of actual cash with us other than what we have left over from the previous trip as the rate on the cards if you keep an eye on it is usually better than you can get anywhere else so we just load them as and when the rates are good and go to a cashpoint when we get where we're going.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Norwich and Peterborough do a NO FEES abroad policy with their current account using a Visa card.
We have used it in Greece, Spain, France, Portugal, Germany, Denmark, Luxembourg, Austria, Italy, Belgium and Holland.
At all petrol pumps, tolls, shops and holes in the wall Etc..
Fabulous.
Mitch.

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
We have a Post Office credit card that we keep just for holidays they do not charge for using the card abroad except withdrawing money. The pre loaded cash cards don't work in the tolls in France. Also you need to check your balance on these to see how you are getting on with the pre loaded cash. Post Office credit card is good, we always call them before we go and advise them that they will see regular use and foreign transactions. When you get the statement on return check off your holiday receipts against the transactions so its easy to spot any issues. Worked for us for years.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
just take cash and visa card for use in unmanned fuel stations . Usually come home with a couple of hundred euros and top up before next trip

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013

We have a document with all this essential info, emergency phone numbers etc saved in Dropbox so we can access it anywhere - as long as we don't forget the password!

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
But if you put your Clarity Card into credit (by paying off more than is owed on the card. Can be done anytime online) you can then go to an ATM and withdraw the difference without incurring charges. Done it. It works!!!

Also, you know those stand alone machines in the 'little shops' in french villages. I withdrew money on a Clarity Card from there. I expected it to be a 'Cash Withdrawal'. It didn't. It regarded the transaction as a purchase from athe shop therefore incurring no charges either.
Bon Voyage.
I agree , I withdrew the money , then paid off slightly more than I thought it would be the day after . no charges were incurred and my cc account is slightly in credit .
Didn't try the cash machine trick though .

megsdad

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
auto cruise
Exp
1 month
we put just about everything on Halifax clarity card,fuel ,food ,where ever we could.never had any bother.worked o
ut wellon coversion ,and had amonth before paying it off after we got back .great

Jun 26, 2012
ipswich suffolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt pilote
Exp
2005 off and on
Post office credit card , they don't charge for using it abroad
Normal bank card for cash from hole in wall simples !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back