How do you kill a generator ? (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I am a patient man I really am I try to get along with everyone its good to have a bit of give and take. But I'm wild camping at the moment and another camper has a Genny running. No this Genny isn't a quality one sounds lime a 2 stroke a poorly 1 at that. I can best describe it as cross between an angry motherinlaw and a skeleton having a w##k in a biscuit tin.

At this moment I am thinking jump out my van and throw it in the sea or maybe go pour some suger in the tank. So any other ideas people ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a small handful of sand in the tank does a superb job of killing a noisy generator

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
What I can't figure is why he need a Genny ? If it for medical it would be a decent one I would imagine so quieter than this. Sounds like he's running storage heaters and a couple of kettles and the poor ol Genny is struggling.
If I bump into him I will politely ask why on earth he needs a noisy badly running generator.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
May be he is watching some old moto gp races on tv and the smell of the two stroke generator makes it more real. Haha

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Paul, I'd have to move or is the spot really really really good?:rolleyes:

He might not be running anything - he might turn it off as soon as you shift:confused:

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
May be he is watching some old moto gp races on tv and the smell of the two stroke generator makes it more real. Haha
He certainly has the sound effects but If one of my engines sounded
Paul, I'd have to move or is the spot really really really good?:rolleyes:

He might not be running anything - he might turn it off as soon as you shift:confused:

Its OK here I use it often I havnt seen this van before. But a few regulars are here infact I think they long term here. He started Genny about hour after we arrived. Maybe the carbon monoxide has gone into his van and he's asleep for good

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
He certainly has the sound effects but If one of my engines sounded

Its OK here I use it often I havnt seen this van before. But a few regulars are here infact I think they long term here. He started Genny about hour after we arrived. Maybe the carbon monoxide has gone into his van and he's asleep for good
GGap????;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had this at a motorhome show at Driffield many years ago. A chap in a MH had his generator going on all evening and continued until late ... we were trying to get some sleep which was impossible as the generator was at the back of his MH near to us ... in the end I'd had enough and went over to the MH in question and asked the chap if he could turn it off, he said he would when he'd finished watching Graham ruddy Norton's show ... with half an hour to go!!!! Needless to say I wasn't impressed and suggested he turn it off and watch it without the generator going as it should have been turned off over an hour earlier to comply with the MH show 'rules'. It was turned off within 2 minutes ... whether he watched the end of the show I don't know and didn't care!

On another occasion we were parked up at the parking area near to the causeway leading to Holy Island, lovely spot, then an old MH came up with a couple in it, they proceeded to let their dogs out to potter round on their own and cause chaos ... the ruddy things wouldn't keep away from our camper much to the annoyance of our dogs! Then to make things worse they got out their flaming generator, noisy smelly thing ... they ran it for a couple of hours then put it away and went to bed thank goodness.

It's inconsiderate people like these who give the rest of us a bad name.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We had someone start one up next to us a Whitby. It was running for about 10 minutes before I walked round and banged on the door. Just heating some soup up in the microwave was the reply. I then suggested it was about time to turn it off so we could all have some piece and quiet as it was past 9 o'clock in the evening.

Why go to all the trouble of getting a generator going to heat up soup. Why not just use a pan like normal people.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
No its all stopped there now its only a few miles from home. Assuming the G was for Goring that is. I am at Eastney ferry near Portsmouth.
You know I'm googling as I type:LOL: not that I'd wild anywhere......just for the purposes of the NMC

Is the genny still on???

And yes, it was Goring, not that I've been but I have seen some lovely pics

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Ive booked for the Moto GP at Silverstone and find it amusing your not allowed a genny given the noise a GP bike makes :D

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Genny still on :rolleyes:

But I'll wake up to this tommorow
FB_IMG_1490395621244.jpg

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Was it YOU banging on my door?
No seriously it is not fair to have a noisy anything going at night . My genny is gas powered and has extra silencing to really shut it up. But with the two leisure batteries and the 140 watt solar I do not need it unless on site for a long time without EHU. But as I do not go in sites it doesn't really apply, On Dartmoor nobody bothers as it is ten miles to the next place. We like it quiet.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
In answer to your question:- Go to a camp site where gennies are prohibited:LOL:

Surely the whole point of wild camping is to be free, no rules, do what you want, that frontier spirit

Which is what the other people surely doing :ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
EXACTLY as Mr EVB posts above.

The whole point of off-site motorhoming is there are no rules.

I often have to move if other "free spirits" park up near by to me.

Why sometimes they even have the disgusting habit of getting out their tables and chairs, inviting friends over, and start having fun with laughter.

Unbelieveable but true!

I just go. I am not sharing my grumpiness with anyone.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
In answer to your question:- Go to a camp site where gennies are prohibited:LOL:

Surely the whole point of wild camping is to be free, no rules, do what you want, that frontier spirit

Which is what the other people surely doing :ROFLMAO:

Like your thinking so I chucked it in the sea told him you said it was OK

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Genny went off just before midnight and I had a good nights kip. Here's a photo of the noisy thing so you van avoid if you are after one.
IMG_20170325_094250.jpg

As you can see other than the swan it has no security perhaps the owner wants it stolen. When I woke this AM this was my view
IMG_20170325_094250.jpg
IMG_20170325_094250.jpg
IMG_20170325_052750.jpg
IMG_20170325_052831.jpg

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Like your thinking so I chucked it in the sea told him you said it was OK
lol although my 6kva generator is built into my RV so weighs 11 ton I don't mind paying for sites;) can't see the point in having a luxury motorhome and scrimping or being disturbed by other people:D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back