How do you get front coil spring off 2008 Citroen Relay? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Took van for MOT today and failed on o/s front susp coil spring.How do I get at it -inside van or under bonnet? Only got a few days before it expires.Anyone done this job before?

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
From inside if I remember correctly

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
I had a coil spring break and a lot of work involved so had two new extra height springs fitted by company in Doncaster raised the front by about two inches and good springs from Germany not cheap Internet ones cost of everything £620 done in four hours while you wait

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks but that is older model --however I have tried and found it in similar place on mine so will have a go at it.Thanks all for help
Don't want to sound patronising but if you haven't done this job before take great care with spring compressors. Work with the strut flat on the floor with both ends clear of everything and don't kneel at either end of the strut when working. Unless of course you're using a compressor similar to the one in the video :).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Don't want to sound patronising but if you haven't done this job before take great care with spring compressors. Work with the strut flat on the floor with both ends clear of everything and don't kneel at either end of the strut when working. Unless of course you're using a compressor similar to the one in the video :).
I have a mate who is a mechanic with his own garage-we did job today.Wouldnt recomend anyone "trying this at home".The pressure needed to remove the spring is great and it is a 2 man job-and can be risky if it slips (he had proper compressor stand).We also fitted the new discs/pads up front and disc pads at rear but had great dificulty getting the handbrake to hold on a hill seems the small h/b drum doesnt seem big dia enough to hold a 3.5 ton van. Will see how retest goes in morning!

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Was that a 10mm nut holding on the sound deadening felt!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you go to someone like SAP at Doncaster I'm sure he will sell you a new pair of struts cheaper than springs alone so no compressor needed.
They remove new ones all the time from ambulances to fit air suspension in their place

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back