How do you empty the grey waste tank? (2 Viewers)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
After all that has been written on MHF about grey waste I am surprised how many are saying leave the tap open - on a campsite??. Apart from anything else it usually smells unpleasant, so why would you do that. Drain it off responsibly!
It smells when stored in the tank. If the tap is open it does not smell.

Hooking up a long flexible pipe means the discharge can be moved around to avoid localised flooding.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
W8 , you mean to say that my grey water waste tank is meant to have a valve on it for closing it ??

Reactions: JJ

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I really don't see the point of the question all the Motorhomes I've come across have wheels and an engine it not hard to drive to the disposal point even on a site.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Uh oh. Another one on the hit list.
I thought SHE was one that shot people, that annoyed her. I keep away from meets where she is listed as going and I have an adversity to lead poisoning.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
My tap leaks a bit it just drips and drips can't seem to fix it
I don't think we need to be embarrassed about this sort of thing anymore :clap2::rofl:

image.jpeg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
If you have one of these tanks, you can empty the grey tank anywhere you like and not worry about Dawns hit list :)
image.jpeg

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We've been admiring a brand spanking new UK registered Dethleffs on our site in Gigny sur Saone.
They've just left trailing a heavy discharge of soapy waste water through the site and onto the road.
Others were looking on in astonishment, frankly I felt somewhat ashamed .

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
There has been some discussion about pubic hair and grease from the washing up causing the deaths of over 20000 motorcyclists..but its not true..
Now I can understand the grease, but the pubic hair.......is it so long that it gets caught up round the wheels of the bike catapulting the rider into the nearest undertakers or something.:worried::wasntme::groan::restmycase:

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
As others have said, most sites have a "Motor Home Service Point".

If you are homeward bound, close the tap, and pour a couple or three 2 litre Cokes down your sink, as you drive home with it swishing around in the tank it cleans the grey water tank stopping nasty smells wafting up your plughole
Add a slug of vodka too and you have a very tasty Grey Water Kamikaze Cocktail:drinks:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
What I don't do is pull away from my aire pitch at 10am and waste the best part of an hour queuing whilst three other MH owners bimble and dither around with various liquids and related gadgets at the service point.

Little and often is my motto - who needs a full waste tank? I've got a 20 litre black jerry can which I've adapted to fit the low slung waste pipe on our current vehicle. I empty the day's grey water into it then when the service point's not busy I trot over and pour it straight down the grid.

Likewise with fresh water - a 10 litre watering can has been a Godsend for us on our recent trip. No buggering about with hoses sitting in other peoples' toilet spillings or driving off pitch to get water.

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Grey water threads do make my laugh...

Thanks for posting.

Any guests visiting the rural Quinta Majay paradise can leave their grey water tank tap open, or they can bucket the stuff away and use it to water the vines, or they can hold it in and drive it away with them. Their choice.

I use the first method and have done so for years and years without any problems.

JJ :cool:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
What I don't do is pull away from my aire pitch at 10am and waste the best part of an hour queuing whilst three other MH owners bimble and dither around with various liquids and related gadgets at the service point.

Little and often is my motto - who needs a full waste tank? I've got a 20 litre black jerry can which I've adapted to fit the low slung waste pipe on our current vehicle. I empty the day's grey water into it then when the service point's not busy I trot over and pour it straight down the grid.

Likewise with fresh water - a 10 litre watering can has been a Godsend for us on our recent trip. No buggering about with hoses sitting in other peoples' toilet spillings or driving off pitch to get water.
We do the same method if staying for a few days the 20ltr black Gerry can is small and cheap , otherwise we empty in the correct place on aires or campsites daily when possible.
IMG_0610.PNG

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
A low season France touring tip - don't empty your grey water until after you've done your bog cartridge. Why? The bog cartridge flush tap at the service point may be turned off, or you may have to pay to use it, which is silly. Quite a few times on our recent trip I've flushed out the cartridge with a bit of home-grown grey water, which, being soapy, is ideally suited to the purpose.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back