Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi there Funsters...

I have talked before about the difficulties in choosing a site. Could I tempt you to give me some ideas as to the criteria you use?

We have just had an interesting experience requiring a site change and if you want to read about it it is on the blog at http://www.frankhanna.com/blog/

That is an aside as I am genuinely interested in how others make the decision to go to and remain at a specific site.

Frank

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
The honest answer in our case is....pot luck. We read the guides (which as we all know are honest and objective) and give it a whirl. If we don't like it we move on. We seldom stay more than a couple of nights in any place anyway. In the UK we use club sites with confidence.
Sorry, there is no secret formula for picking a site.

missbusybusy

Free Member
Nov 27, 2011
Northampton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie again
we decide on the area before we depart and then check the forums for sites that others have liked, we then check out the reviews and then decide if that particular site is what we are looking for, sometimes we do not want to be near the sea, kids, noise and a busy town, we do love a quiet site sometimes :Smile: so reviews are our way of sorting this, we will pre book if necessary but if I do not like the site Hubby will try another one for me
No real strategy but I think we have only ever stopped for one night at a municipal site that was just tooooo busy other than that we have made do, even if small things like the electric tripping, toilets out of order etc have happened we have gone back to those sites as we understand these things can happen, even rude staff we have tolerated as every one can have an off day, CLEAN toilets are a must though, if we like the feel of the site and we can tick most boxes that's usually enough for us

Have you a method or a formula that can help ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Our criteria was always EHU on the pitch other than that not too fussed but also dependent on how long we are looking to stay, if just passing through I.e. when we headed off down to Fussen we had then the snoope sat nav with ACSI campsite database built in we just went for whatever was close at the time and ended up in a lovely campsite in Hemsbach near Frankfurt next to a municiple park and lake. We always used the onboard facilities so not worried about shower facilities etc.

If going for longer periods generally good location close to amenities, EHU essential with preferably water and if possible waste drainage on the pitch (the latter not essential otherwise we wouldn't find anywhere) oh and laundry facilities at the site

Cheers
G

Last edited:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
A site that is in natural countryside with trees, rather than a manicured garden.

Clean toilets/showers.

Nice view.

Proximity to a nice pub that does nice grub.

Remote from traffic noise.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
EHU full facilitys, Bus at gate, pub and shop nearby tho not essential, Rural, sea view a bonus but not ess,

Read reviews if a private site rather than a Club Site, not too worried about a grass site but Mrs R has a vivid imagination as regards to getting stuck, she's a lateral thinker:Sad:

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
It really is Horses for Courses
Our criteria are almost the total reverse of Rangitira!!
Not too bothered about facilities - though they need to be clean- much prefer to use our on board loo and shower. We can be self sufficient for a fair amount of time with solar so EHU can be optional
We want quiet, spacious and as Fireman Sam says natural not manicured. View and privacy are our main criteria.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Sites vary for Me

Usually winter Hard standing & Electric good site bus route local pub.

Summer anything goes really electric isnt that important in the warm
if its dry hard standing not that important either.

for the rest recommendation is important as is reputation.
Britstops as good as CC Main sites if they suit the purpose.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Simples !!!

In France, Aires or municipal sites !:thumb:

Winter in Spain...with the funsters !!!:thumb:

Scotland......wildcamping ! (This time next week....yippee !):thumb:

Otherwise, CC or CC&C sites or 5 van sites !!:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

frankhanna

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Site preferences

Thanks to all of you for the comments.

I find it fascinating how the same site can receive rave reviews from some and be condemned by others. It really is a complete matter of taste.

We tend to like our comforts so, good toilet facilities rank high as does a neat appearance because obvious pride in a site is usually a good indicator that most other things will be well looked after.

Views are important and dog friendly sites really appeal.

I especially like sites with a restaurant attached.

That's about it for me.

F

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
For the first time ever We are at a site that didn't check out before arriving. It was a last minute decision to go and is a park resorts hard standing pitch in Clacton (I know... But we needed to be in this area).. Anyway is cramped not too clean.. Toilets are poor and we are surrounded by a group of "travelling people" who throw their waste water into the road... And are generally a pain.
I am gutted because we normally check out sites thoroughly.. I just assumed being part of a big group it would meet certain standards. Just to add.. The majority of others with caravans and motorhomes are fine and.. Like us.. Putting up with things..
Anyway. We leave late tonight.. And we're off cycling for the day now so we won't have to endure any of this today

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
We simply see what we come across when we want to stop. If we don't like it, we move on, and if it's late we move on in the morning. No hardship - it's all part of the adventure for us. (And I have to say we've stayed on very few poor sites, and come across some real gems):thumb:

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Its really interesting to see such diversity of needs...

Having endured festival toilets over many years, I'd have to check out the toilet facilities....as a hiker, I'd need somewhere to wander off to if i was there more than overnight..

...with us all heading off to different places, gonna take some time to meet you all

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back