Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We have been adopted by a lovely stray cat, shes only got two front teeth.

We have had her over a year now.

Do we take a chance and bring her in our motorhome

How do we train her?

All suggestions on a postcard to ..........

no seriously all suggestions welcome. If she goes missing our son will never forgive us

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a harness and lead is a good start, but some older cats just wont tollerate them. another very important point is to get her used to travelling in the car/van first before taking off on holiday

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
our cat was about 4 when we bought our m/h, he wouldn't entertain a harness/lead,but we took him with us on short trips and weekends away when we were trying out the van, he did not want to come out of the van the first time but soon got used to it. we have met lots of people who take their cats, they are very smart and soon learn, give it a try i'm sure all will be well.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Our cat was about 10years old when he latched on to us, first couple of times he came in the van he did a bit of moaning and soon as we stopped did a runner into the bushes.
He has now been with us 7years and enjoys his van trips been all over UK and EU we use a lead and collar for taking him a walk. :thumb:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We used to take our old cat with us, always on a lead. Then one dark evening it slipped out the door and ran off when I got near her so I gave up after 30 mins of 'cat and mouse'. I thought he had gone forever, twenty minutes later a scratching at the door and in he came bold as brass and was never on a lead again.
Cats are sociable animals and if they are happy and well watered and fed they know where they are better off.

BTW Go for a walk with your cat at dusk for small mammal spotting. Our's showed us so much hedge row life that we would never had seen otherwise.

Of course he did blot his copy book when pitched in the New Forest by massacring a complete shrew family leaving just a single eyeball on the van's floor!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have had two stray cats join me on my travels (fulltimer) over the last 3 years. With both of them I didn't do anything special at all and they both travelled well.

When I was ready to set off I simply put them on the passenger seat and set off. They both tried to get on the dash board and realised that sliding about was no fun and soon settled down on the passenger seat.

I let both of them go out as soon as I reached the destination but didn't feed them before letting them out. They soon came back around 5-15 minutes at which point I fed them.

I don't feed them after 7pm as I don't like litter trays. I let them out for a short while before I go to bed.. Never had an accident with either of them.

I was grateful that neither of them suffered from travel sickness and seemed to like exploring new destinations.

Oh and use feeding times as a control technique. I don't leave dry food down for them all day. I put food down at regular intervals so they know that it is me feeding them. I can then alter feed times to suite travel arrangements etc.

Last edited:

morph

Free Member
Jul 19, 2012
Lancs area
Funster No
MH
RV American Dream
Exp
Newbies
This has been an interesting post for me that I found as we have 2 cats (male&female) and as our future plans are to eventually fultime in our new RV. I have been worried about re-homing them to a loving safe home? I can see by some posts that it IS possible to bring cats with you. They are so used to coming & going from the house as though as they please (catflap!) would be worried that they would feel restricted until the next destination? Am I correct in saying that each animal would have to have their own passport for travelling through Europe as well?

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Regarding pooh

I have a Norwegian Forest and a Ragdoll cat. Ragdolls are house cats and cannot be allowed to run free. The other is quite nervous. I would love to be able to take them with us once in a while, but can't work out how to deal with the toilet arrangements. Cat pooh really stinks, so a dirt tray in the MH is less than ideal. Any ideas?

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
all cat poo stinks but dependent on the litter you use the type of litter does help "absorb" the smell.

Although our cat isnt motorhome trained (we decided scratching and cathair was too much to deal with) if there was an olympics for the amount of poo on a daily basis, she would win gold every time.

We have a "closed in tray" looks a little bit like a cat carrier that you would use to take the pet to the vets in. It has absorbers in the side of it too.

We keep a stack of poo bags and a minature shovel and basically we clear it up or shovel it out into a poo bag as soon as the tray has been used regardless of urine or excrement.

We also wash it out thoroughly once a week.

Hope this helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back