How do they make a nice square hole in wood (1 Viewer)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
It's always puzzled me how manufacturers and dealers manage to make a square or rectangular hole with nice rounded corners in wooden panels.

I guess they must use a metal template and very fine/narrow blade jigsaw.

It gets even more complicated when you look at floor hatch covers where the mating surface includes a lip. I can only assume they must make the hatch cover separate to the hole in the floor.

It's all a bit of a mystery to me but expect some of you knowledgeable funsters will know.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you're doing it by hand you use an appropriate diameter drill to make the four corners and a jigsaw or coping saw to cut the sides.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Yea, a B&Q square drill from Screwfix.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
They can send a man to walk on the Moon,

but they can't fit a round peg in a square hole! :hi5:

Deleted User
Still no answer to the basic question, how do you make a square hole with anything that is rotating, computer controlled or not, rotating cutters make round holes?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Still no answer to the basic question, how do you make a square hole with anything that is rotating, computer controlled or not, rotating cutters make round holes?
If you're wanting a square hole without rounded corners you still use the same method I described above.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
You use a mortice machine that has a drill bit that fits into a square hollow chisel .You drill the hole as the chisel removes the corners to leave a square hole .lol

Deleted User
You use a mortice machine that has a drill bit that fits into a square hollow chisel .You drill the hole as the chisel removes the corners to leave a square hole .lol

Would that work on metal?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The OP asked about square holes with rounded corners. They use router bits, which drill through the wood and then cut it when pulled sideways. It is either done using computer controlled cutting machines or a simple template which is clamped onto the wood and which enables the cutter (which has a none cutting shoulder) to follow the outline to be cut. Simples.

Deleted User
OK then how do they make square holes in metal with square corners?.......or shall I start a new thread:)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
When a square hole was required at work, a round hole was drilled and then a drift that tapered from round to square was pushed or pulled through the pilot hole.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
How so, the one you used as an example was pushed through without rotation?
Because that was a press broach not rotary broach, it wernt aimed at a particular post just an example.

Deleted User
Because that was a press broach not rotary broach, it wernt aimed at a particular post just an example.

Further explanation required.....rotation makes round, I can see with some form of offset deltoid type arrangement an almost square hole could be made but exact?:)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Another example but drill square

Join us or log in to post a reply.