how do i wire a punto for towing?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by des, Oct 31, 2009.

1. des

des Read Only Funster

i am fed up with putting a trailer board in the back window of my (four year old) punto. does anyone know if/how you can wire directly to the car lights?

des

2. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Hi having worked on earlier versions and seen some very serious problems caused by people 'just adding a few accessories' and overloading / backfeeding power I would suggest you speak with a proper Fiat agent who should be able to give you accurate details and advise on how to do this and whether it is really possible and safe to do so.
    So easy with modern systems to overload circuits and cause problems that occur weeks or months down the line.

3. AdgeRas

AdgeRas Read Only Funster

not having towed a car before behind a MH, I am only guessing I am right with my question........Surely even if you wire up a safe method of not neading to fit a tralior board with lights, you still have to attach some form of board so as to show the registration number of the MH that is towing the car??

Adge

4. davejen

davejen Funster

Hi, Adge, yes you need to show the reg of the m/home when towing- I have fitted some longish screws through the back of the toad no plate- ok if it is screwed to the car, then I fit the m/h plate on with wing nuts. I have also fitted two triangular reflectors to the ends of the no plate to make it legal-you do need these. Hope this helps,
    Cheers, Dave:thumb:

5. AdgeRas

AdgeRas Read Only Funster

Sounds a good idea, but if you are towing a car on its own wheels (not on a trailer) do not some countries demand that the 'towed' car displays its number plate too ??

6. davejen

davejen Funster

Yes, but I thought you were referring to the UK
    Dave:thumb:

Sorry, not sure which countries you have to have the toad's own no.

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i think (good disclaimer, that :thumb:) in most euro countries the law states trailers must be registered with their own reg number but for visitors it doesnt apply, except, evidently, in spain:Angry:

8. Tiderus

Tiderus Read Only Funster

Hi Des, I fitted a tow bar with light on my 06 Punto last year. Going through B'ham most of the lights packed up. I struggled to Aston Villa sports and social club where a very learned man checked it over and said. The problem with these is the fuse female connections are not heavy enough, and he removed one of the large back left ones under the bonnet. Twisted the legs, then straight away lights were back to normal. That sort of knowledge is priceless. Hope it's of help. Rgd's Graham.

9. des

des Read Only Funster

not sure if i made it clear what i am looking for. i tow the punto behind my rv, and want to wire directly into it's lights. can it be done, and if so, how?

des

10. Biggles

Biggles Funster

Remember also that the Punto will be a trailer and under EU law it needs to be showing red triangle reflectors

Biggles

11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I would have thought you could have the punto wired for trailer lights and have the socket fitted at the front of the car then plug directly into that socket so that instead of taking power from it you will feed power to it. With the ignition turned off I don't see a problem.
    Maybe the trade members on here will blow that idea out of the water with a good reason against this idea.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  12. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Blow it out the water:Eeek: thats a sound idea and exactly how it should be done:thumb:
    some choose not to have the female plug on display on the front, and instead have it mounted in the engine bay, but the means the bonnet has to be lifted to plug in (closed again of course)
    simply take the wiring to the relevant circuits, due to the technical nature or wiring these days Diode blockers may be reqd on some vehicles, any competent garage or sparky can/should do it, but no one will be able to give you detailed instructions on here as even same make and models differ from time to time so it would be foolish to try:Doh:
    Geo

13. Wall-E

Wall-E Read Only Funster

Hi Des.
    Ring Towtal Stoke-on Trent, (01782 333422) and they will sort you out. I tow a Fiat Panda and all the lights on the car work via the Motor Home switches. Eg, Indicators, side lights, brake lights, reversing light, fog light, etc. It was wired up by Towtal when I had the A-Frame fitted. Owners of any version of X250 chassis should be very careful about adding additional wiring, It uses a Can Bus system and this can be sent haywire, unless you add a special bit of kit to prevent this happening!!. You can Stay overnight C/W electric hook up for free at Towtals , Grove road, Fenton. S o T. Speak to old BILL.
    Em