How do I get my gas fridge to ignite? (1 Viewer)

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Sorry I know it sounds a stupid question - and we have had it working before - but we are doing our checks before going off on Sunday and can't get the fridge to ignite.

The gas is switched on; the boiler is heating up; the gas fire works and we are turning the knob with the flame marks on it (for the fridge) and pressing in the ignition lighter - but nothing seems to happen. How can you tell if it is working? There must be something dumb we are forgetting :Blush:

Any advice please? Our fridge is an Electrolux in a Dethleffs build. All original old fixtures. The fridge does work on mains or 12V.

Thanks,

Marion & Mick

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm sure someone will come up with a solution.

Noone is as daft as I was cursing everything under the sun when I couldn't get the fire to light until I realised the damm cover was still on:Doh::Doh:

Good luck

Upvote 0

Hymer

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
Are you pushing in the control knob ? You have to do this until it lights and then release after a few seconds when the thermocouple has heated enough to maintain the supply.

I often find that it takes several minutes to ignite when it has not been used for a few weeks and the gas needs to bleed through.

Alan

Upvote 0
OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Yes pushing in the control knob but can't see any light - are you supposed to be able to see the flicker through the window inside the fridge or is it seen through the vent on the outside? Sorry stupid question but we haven't used it on gas properly before because we were on hook up.

Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Should be able to see the flame through the window, but you do have to bend down to be level wuth it (sorry if that sounds obvious, but another simple mistake I've made myself:Doh:)

Upvote 0

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
when you push in the control and hold after a few clicks you should hear a small bang if gas is getting through.have you tried letting the control out a bit and clicking if not working try letting out a bit at a time till gas bangs .if this does not work how old is fridge and as it ever been serviced .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Will try all you've mentioned - going back outside for a moment where my OH is checking the pizo etc.

Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Hooray, got it lighting ok now. OH removed the vent cover and cleaned up the pizo as it wasn't sparking. While in there removed all the dirt, dust etc that had accumulated. Sparking like a good'un now and remaining alight.

Many thanks to all your quick replies. Looks like we're in business. :roflmto:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back