How do I clear unwanted POIs from my Garmin? (1 Viewer)

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Struggling here. I have a Garmin 255W and have previously loaded POIs for both UK campsites and ACSI sites. Although the ACSI sites are still 2011 I thought I would clear all previous POIs and start afresh. The Garmin POI loader allows you to clear manually installed POIs with no problem but it leaves the ACSI ones on. They were installed directly to the unit from the ACSI site and now I have FOUR identical sets. Cannot seem to clear them. I have even done a complete reset of the Garmin which has cleared all my user data EXCEPT the ACSI POIs. Even looking in Explorer for the ACSI Data has been unsuccessful.

Anyone any ideas?

Steve

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I realise you may have tried this, but there are two ways to remove custom POIs.
From the Garmin website.

Question: How do I remove Custom POIs from my GPS unit?
Answer:
There are two different ways to remove Custom Points of Interest (POIs) from a Garmin device. The best method will depend on the way that the Custom POIs were originally loaded onto the Garmin unit. If the Custom POIs came from a *.gpi file, the Manual Delete option will be needed. If the Custom POIs came from a *.gpx or *.csv file and used POI Loader to install them, the POI Loader delete method will be needed. Since both methods can be used to load Custom POIs, both methods may need to be used to remove the Custom POIs especially if one method does not completely remove all of the Custom POIs from the Garmin unit.

Manual Delete Method:

Connect your Garmin unit to the computer
Open My Computer
Open the Garmin or SD Card drive
Double-Click on the Garmin folder
Double-Click the POI folder
Delete all *.gpi files
POI Loader Delete Method:

In order to remove Custom POIs from a Garmin Device, the latest version of the POI Loader must be installed.. Go to the POI Loader page to get the latest version. Once the latest version is installed do the following:

Open the POI Loader program
Click Next on the first screen
On the next screen the program should auto-detect your unit, make sure the correct unit is selected, then click Next
On the following screen select Remove all previously installed custom POIs from your device, then click Next
The program will display: To re-install custom POIs you will need to run the POI Loader again. Are you sure you want to proceed?
Click Yes
A message will display: Congratulations you have successfully removed all custom POIs from your device
Click Finish
Once finished, all of the Custom POIs files from the Garmin device will be completely removed.

Last modified on: 02/02/2011

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Jean Luc - excellent - thanks for the link. It was the .gpx files that I did not recognise and in fact they sat in their own folder (called gpx) on the Garmin - not the poi folder, but I have deleted them and got just where I wanted. Thanks so much.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
This what I love about this Forum - there always seems to be someone who knows the answer.

Steve

pappajohn they would have been there for the next 10 years!

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
I realise you may have tried this, but there are two ways to remove custom POIs.
From the Garmin website.

Question: How do I remove Custom POIs from my GPS unit?
Answer:
There are two different ways to remove Custom Points of Interest (POIs) from a Garmin device. The best method will depend on the way that the Custom POIs were originally loaded onto the Garmin unit. If the Custom POIs came from a *.gpi file, the Manual Delete option will be needed. If the Custom POIs came from a *.gpx or *.csv file and used POI Loader to install them, the POI Loader delete method will be needed. Since both methods can be used to load Custom POIs, both methods may need to be used to remove the Custom POIs especially if one method does not completely remove all of the Custom POIs from the Garmin unit.

Manual Delete Method:

Open My Computer
Open the Garmin or SD Card drive
Double-Click on the Garmin folder
Double-Click the POI folder
Delete all *.gpi files
POI Loader Delete Method:

In order to remove Custom POIs from a Garmin Device, the latest version of the POI Loader must be installed.. Go to the POI Loader page to get the latest version. Once the latest version is installed do the following:

Open the POI Loader program
Click Next on the first screen
On the next screen the program should auto-detect your unit, make sure the correct unit is selected, then click Next
On the following screen select Remove all previously installed custom POIs from your device, then click Next
The program will display: To re-install custom POIs you will need to run the POI Loader again. Are you sure you want to proceed?
Click Yes
A message will display: Congratulations you have successfully removed all custom POIs from your device
Click Finish
Once finished, all of the Custom POIs files from the Garmin device will be completely removed.

Last modified on: 02/02/2011

I think the best thing to do is back up all that you have got on your garmin first so if you make a pigs ear of it, all is not lost.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back