How Did They Break In?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Security' started by Espana Peter, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Espana Peter

Espana Peter Read Only Funster

Hello,

I have a Mclouis on a Fiat Ducato about 5 years old and parked up overnight in a large Spanish Service Station a few nights ago and got "broken into". I locked the cab doors and the light confirming came on, yet in the morning, the light was still lit and the passenger door still locked but the drivers door was UNLOCKED and the obvious entry point. No marks on the door at all and no Fiat alarm went off. Now the insurers are trying not to pay up for the losses as there was no physical sign of a break in. Any ideas how the thieves did it?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Could it be the alarm didn't go off because it wasn't set as one on the doors wasn't closed fully? Still, nothing stolen thats a plus.

3. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I have no idea how they got into yours but I had a very similar situation with my van a number of years ago in Spain. The Guardia report also stated that there were no visible signs of break-in so the insurers refused to pay for items taken assuming that the vehicle was not locked. It was fun getting back into the UK without a passport and not bothering to obtain an 'emergency' passport from the embassy in Madrid.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

What a horrid thing to happen, made worse by being unfairly accused of somehow being "to blame" for somebody breaking in to your van!
    I got the impression stuff was stolen?
    Hope it hasn't made life too difficult @Espana Peter , and that you get a good result.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

:D no you're not are you!!! :D but we all have to learn sometime (I couldn't post links a year ago either) ;)
    Very interesting information though, what an absolute disgrace that these things are on the open market. How can motorists possibly protect themselves?

• Like Like x 5
  6. Fatwheels

Fatwheels

I had extra deadlocks fitted to my van and will be having them fitted to my MH when it's delivered these are the the ones doing it police we arnt even interested .these are the people who did it

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  7. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

What Fiat alarm? AFAIK Fiat don't fit an alarm, just locking and immobiliser.

8. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Yes, it was a horrid thing to happen. BUT. No accusation of blame intended whatsoever . The report makes no mention of anything stolen so perhaps you assume there was because the insurance company and thieves were mentioned, just as as you incorrectly assume I was making an allegation. I replied to what the post said, not what it didn't.

For your information, if I don't close my front passenger door fully and activate the locking mechanism with the electronic key the light on the dash indicates the doors are locked with the flashing light and there is the sound of the doors locking, the rear hab door locks though the motorhome front door is not locked and our alarm is not activated.

I simply offer this as a possible explanation, nothing more, no accusations, no assumptions.

9. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

The OP actually said
    "Now the insurers are trying not to pay up for the losses as there was no physical sign of a break in."
    That suggests to me there were things stolen, as that can be the only "losses" if there was no physical damage.

I agree with you about the door maybe left open or ajar.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gromett

Gromett Funster

11. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Ue
    Yes quit so. I realise now I have re read the post that as you say something obviously taken. Thank you

• Like Like x 2
  12. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

If we are parking somewhere I feel is a bit dodgy, I put a quick release strap across the door handles

13. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

We tend to have a simpler system. Just drive off and find somewhere we are comfortable with. :D

We certainly would not stop on motorway Aires, as they have a reputation for problems.

• Like Like x 4
  14. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

no no, I wasn't referring to you @iandsm , I was referring to the insurers!

• Like Like x 1
  15. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

We use a 6mm wire strop with 2 swaged loops that runs from the steering wheel round the nearside door hand pull on and under the 3 peddles up and around the offside door handle pull and padlocks together over the steering wheel horn push. If the doors are forced open more than a couple of inches the horn sounds. This does work as we have found out. This cost £5 to make up at a boat chandlers a few years ago. Simple.

steve & ann. --------- teensvan

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. Espana Peter

Espana Peter Read Only Funster

Thank you for all of the input, yes items were stolen, all they, he or it could grab in a matter of minutes from the table & seats, including some clothing which the police found scattered between 5 & 20kms down the A7. I was just mad at not knowing HOW they got in so consensus seems to be a car pick locksmiths tool which one would think were not available for the general public, or the drivers door was left ajar? If the lock pick was used, wouldn't it have opened both cab doors or does only the key with a chip do that? If I had left the drivers door ajar, they would still need a key of some sort, unless I had left it completely open? ALL of my keys were in my trainer shorts so I had to hire a car and make 1100 kms round trip home to get my spare set. I like teensvan99 idea a lot :)

17. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

I wire an alarm direct to all door switches . It has to be set off to get out or in. cannot be turned off from outside vehicle.

18. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

This has just given me another idea ;) I have recently changed both front seats & they recline/tilt forward. I noticed that when I tilt the drivers one it rests on the steering wheel, which isn't a problem until you lean on the seat back. ..............which then sets off the horn:LOL:. A nice little wire or strop through both doors & over seat should do it (y)

• Like Like x 1
  19. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

My second "manual" key only opens the drivers door.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mel

Mel Funster

Are you sure they did not get in via a window.
    In April a man was locked out of his Mercedes/Rapido in Spain.
    I got into his van in under two mins no damage via a window.
    I will not post how.
    But look at all the windows and look if there are any marks on the motorhome next to the window.

Mel