How can I fit Cab door security locks with window blinds

Discussion in 'Motorhome Security' started by autosleepers, Jan 17, 2014.

1. autosleepers

autosleepers Funster

Hi,
    I have a Ducato cab with blinds fitted to the windows and have been looking without success for suitable cab door locks that will work with this configuration.

I can't be the only one to have had this problem but I can't find any other threads where it has already been discussed.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

2. Daedalus

Daedalus Funster

There's quite a choice of security locks that can be fitted, both to the cab doors and the habitation door.

Take a look at these links:

http://www.motorhomelocks.co.uk/Home.php

OR

http://www.milenco.com/products/security-door-locks/security-door-lock/

OR

http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/FiammaSecurity.html?gclid=CNK1m8LyhbwCFfMftAodRhkAPA

As with all things - if you're handy with the tools, you can fit any of these fairly easily, the only one which requires a bit of thought and dexterity is the first one from Harrison Locks.

HTH

Daedalus

3. Merle

Merle Funster

I don't profess this to be the best solution but you will find a luggage strap looped around the door pulls/armrests (I also loop mine through the steering wheel) will give a reasonable amount of security. Not so tight that you will pull the handles off but it prevents the doors from being opened from outside. You could spend a fortune but with so much glass you will never stop the determined

• Like Like x 4
  4. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

If it's just the front cab doors surely you just need deadlocks fitted.. Like the delivery vans have?
    I'm curious though why your existing locks /alarm aren't enough?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

As an alternative to locks, just thread your seat belt around the door handle and connect as usual. Stops anyone opening a cab door in the night.

• Like Like x 3
  6. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

If your van has plastic windows then why bother with extra locks?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Merle

Merle Funster

We have an aftermarket alarm system which is linked to the central locking of the cab doors, if set then any movement sets it off, so the cab doors are unlocked while we are inside...but we do have a dog with a bit of attitude as well as using the strap on the doors:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  8. lorger

lorger Funster

9. Merle

Merle Funster

Unfortunately no there does not appear to be an over ride. It's a Sparkrite system if anyone has superior knowledge I would be greatful of their input. Dave

10. Busman

Busman Funster

For a simple cheap solution you could use these, I got the link off Tonka's site http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_974035_langId_-1_categoryId_283803 If you use good quality Velcro to door and van frame you can just put them on when needed in seconds, ditto for you habitation door or if hot and and you want the door open fit to your fly screen. easy to store as well, Only £5.10 for 2 x 2 pack worth a punt at that price.
    Dave.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  11. pete4x4

pete4x4 Read Only Funster

Doesn't help your alarm issue but newer Fiat/peugeot cabs already have deadlocks fitted. Just press the lock button twice and you get 3 flashes instead of two and you can no longer open from the inside.

Can you not place covers over the sensors?

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Strange that this thread should be current as I just found some locking devices I bought nearly 7 years ago for the cab doors on our Autoquest - but never fitted because I was a bit unsure in those days of undertaking such drastic surgery (having only had the van a few months) :BigGrin:

They are Fab & Fix Sash Jammers which I bought after reading a thread from a poster named Terrytraveller on another forum - not the Dark Side but it was the dark days before Fun :BigGrin:

Screwfix, where I got them from, don't seem to stock them now but Google brings up plenty of references and a video showing how to fit them to a PVC window frame (which they are really designed for). The idea is that they are fitted to the door and act on the door frame preventing the door being pulled open.

I looked for them in our garage last year, meaning to have a look at fitting them to the Burstner, but couldn't find them. By pure coincidence I came across them on Thursday, when clearing a cupboard out, so intend fitting them when the weather gets better.

13. centerman

centerman Read Only Funster

Ducato cab door locks

I have just fitted these Heosafe internal locks on my 2004 Kontiki 645 front cab doors, 10 minute job as they fit behind the door arm. You have to make sure you get the right year for your cab I got 02 to 06 which fills the full Ducati Range. Cost £155.00 for a pair mine are also key lockable. Also fitted a Heosafe dead lock on habitaion door great. All lockable from inside when you go to sleep.:BigGrin::thumb:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270917146...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648#ht_1311wt_1018

14. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

15. Terry

Terry Funster

• Like Like x 1
  16. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

I have learned the hard way that whatever locks etc you have you must remember to actually use them. :cry::Blush:
    However, a thief will not know your security arrangements until he has busted the cab lock, only to find he cannot go further.
    What I have done to hopefully make the thief think twice is I have added an alarm LED to each of the cab door handles outside so that when the van is fully tucked up for the night with thermals, there is a flashing LED just two inches from each lock, and yes they are part of the actual alarm....not just dummies!:thumb:
    Here it is right next to the damaged lock, horse and gate come to mind though:Rofl1:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  17. paulharrison

paulharrison Read Only Funster

You can fit the Heosafe locks ok you just have to be careful cutting the blind

18. webby1

webby1 Funster

Flashing LED

The flashing LED are a great idea.................any chance of a link.

We have a Cobra alarm that allows us to disable the internal sensors.......BUT when the blinds are drawn there is no indication from the outside that the van is alarmed.

So the lock is forced before the alarm goes off and they run off................it's not quite a result. I want them to see that the van is well alarmed and go elsewhere.

Anyway seems the weakest point of the cab is the quarterlight window which looks as though it could easily be popped out.....................any webbing or seat belts could then be cut.

My great idea...........any Dragons out there................is to have a web of alarm wire running through the wrap around silver screens...............if they are cut in any way the alarm is triggered

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've finally got round to installing the sash jammers as mentioned in Post #12 above. It's only taken me seven years plus :BigGrin:

Details Here.