How can I fit Cab door security locks with window blinds (1 Viewer)

autosleepers

Free Member
Dec 3, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Hi,
I have a Ducato cab with blinds fitted to the windows and have been looking without success for suitable cab door locks that will work with this configuration.

I can't be the only one to have had this problem but I can't find any other threads where it has already been discussed.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Hi,
I have a Ducato cab with blinds fitted to the windows and have been looking without success for suitable cab door locks that will work with this configuration.

I can't be the only one to have had this problem but I can't find any other threads where it has already been discussed.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

There's quite a choice of security locks that can be fitted, both to the cab doors and the habitation door.

Take a look at these links:

Broken Link Removed

OR

Link Removed

OR

http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/FiammaSecurity.html?gclid=CNK1m8LyhbwCFfMftAodRhkAPA

As with all things - if you're handy with the tools, you can fit any of these fairly easily, the only one which requires a bit of thought and dexterity is the first one from Harrison Locks.

HTH

Daedalus

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I don't profess this to be the best solution but you will find a luggage strap looped around the door pulls/armrests (I also loop mine through the steering wheel) will give a reasonable amount of security. Not so tight that you will pull the handles off but it prevents the doors from being opened from outside. You could spend a fortune but with so much glass you will never stop the determined

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
If it's just the front cab doors surely you just need deadlocks fitted.. Like the delivery vans have?
I'm curious though why your existing locks /alarm aren't enough?

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
As an alternative to locks, just thread your seat belt around the door handle and connect as usual. Stops anyone opening a cab door in the night.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If your van has plastic windows then why bother with extra locks?

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
If it's just the front cab doors surely you just need deadlocks fitted.. Like the delivery vans have?
I'm curious though why your existing locks /alarm aren't enough?

We have an aftermarket alarm system which is linked to the central locking of the cab doors, if set then any movement sets it off, so the cab doors are unlocked while we are inside...but we do have a dog with a bit of attitude as well as using the strap on the doors:Eeek:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have an aftermarket alarm system which is linked to the central locking of the cab doors, if set then any movement sets it off, so the cab doors are unlocked while we are inside...but we do have a dog with a bit of attitude as well as using the strap on the doors:Eeek:[/

In this case could you not lock the doors without setting the alarm, or are you sure you can't disable the internal sensors. This is what we do with ours so all the doors are locked and alarmed but the sensors are disabled.

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Unfortunately no there does not appear to be an over ride. It's a Sparkrite system if anyone has superior knowledge I would be greatful of their input. Dave

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
For a simple cheap solution you could use these, I got the link off Tonka's site Link Removed If you use good quality Velcro to door and van frame you can just put them on when needed in seconds, ditto for you habitation door or if hot and and you want the door open fit to your fly screen. easy to store as well, Only £5.10 for 2 x 2 pack worth a punt at that price.
Dave.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Doesn't help your alarm issue but newer Fiat/peugeot cabs already have deadlocks fitted. Just press the lock button twice and you get 3 flashes instead of two and you can no longer open from the inside.

Can you not place covers over the sensors?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Strange that this thread should be current as I just found some locking devices I bought nearly 7 years ago for the cab doors on our Autoquest - but never fitted because I was a bit unsure in those days of undertaking such drastic surgery (having only had the van a few months) ::bigsmile:

They are Fab & Fix Sash Jammers which I bought after reading a thread from a poster named Terrytraveller on another forum - not the Dark Side but it was the dark days before Fun ::bigsmile:

Screwfix, where I got them from, don't seem to stock them now but Google brings up plenty of references and a video showing how to fit them to a PVC window frame (which they are really designed for). The idea is that they are fitted to the door and act on the door frame preventing the door being pulled open.

I looked for them in our garage last year, meaning to have a look at fitting them to the Burstner, but couldn't find them. By pure coincidence I came across them on Thursday, when clearing a cupboard out, so intend fitting them when the weather gets better.

centerman

Free Member
Dec 2, 2013
moreton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ducato cab door locks

I have just fitted these Heosafe internal locks on my 2004 Kontiki 645 front cab doors, 10 minute job as they fit behind the door arm. You have to make sure you get the right year for your cab I got 02 to 06 which fills the full Ducati Range. Cost £155.00 for a pair mine are also key lockable. Also fitted a Heosafe dead lock on habitaion door great. All lockable from inside when you go to sleep.::bigsmile::thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I have learned the hard way that whatever locks etc you have you must remember to actually use them. :cry::Blush:
However, a thief will not know your security arrangements until he has busted the cab lock, only to find he cannot go further.
What I have done to hopefully make the thief think twice is I have added an alarm LED to each of the cab door handles outside so that when the van is fully tucked up for the night with thermals, there is a flashing LED just two inches from each lock, and yes they are part of the actual alarm....not just dummies!:thumb:
Here it is right next to the damaged lock, horse and gate come to mind though:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• DSC_0660.jpg
    DSC_0660.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've finally got round to installing the sash jammers as mentioned in Post #12 above. It's only taken me seven years plus ::bigsmile:

Details Here.

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
I am very interest in your flashing LED idea. I also think this is a great idea. I have two questions though :
1. connecting this to the alarm must be quite a difficult job in itself, or did you get the alarm installer to add these? and ..
2. are these LED waterproof, does water get into the LED and cause any false alarms?
3. can they be attached externally and so disable to alarm?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I am very interest in your flashing LED idea. I also think this is a great idea. I have two questions though :
1. connecting this to the alarm must be quite a difficult job in itself, or did you get the alarm installer to add these? and ..
2. are these LED waterproof, does water get into the LED and cause any false alarms?
3. can they be attached externally and so disable to alarm?
That poster hasn't posted since last April. What he/she probably did is wire additional LEDs in parallel with the alarms LED.

You can get LEDs and holders on ebay but they aren't usually waterproof.

Last edited:

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
Thanks yes I have bought one or two myself and rigged up an in-line switch and fuse piggybacking with a permanent live feed myself. But I put the LED right up behind the rear view mirror so it could be seen even when the blinds were drawn shut. I would switch it on manually once I set my alarm to act as a visual deterrent Why alarm makers don’t think of doing that themselves is beyond me. It’s a boy like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. In my view. I’d rather a potential thief think twice before attempting to break in and move to a different MzH. I notice though that on the Vanbitz Griwler they use blue Keds one at the front , think it’s inside a light same at the back inside a lights and a waterproof one in the sidewall near the habitation door. That seems the ideal.

KPM

Free Member
Jan 31, 2022
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
since September 2019
Think though they need sone kind of driver. For that t happen whatever that is I don’t know

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back