How attached are you to your 'van?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Touchwood, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

We all love our 'vans, I know, but how emotionally attached are you? Do you view it as the purely functional adjunct to your chosen leisure activity/way of life, or is it more personal than that?

It starts, I suppose, by giving it (her/him) a name. After that you're on the slippy slope - you start feeling sorry for leaving her in storage, all on her own with no-one to talk to except that snotty Hymer on one side or that common little tart of a battered caravan on the other. When you go to pick her up she wags her exhaust pipe excitedly, and if you're not going away but only giving her a run out or doing some maintenance she looks positively doleful when you take her back; her wing mirrors droop dejectedly and there's a sad little whine when you turn the engine off. She's never resentful, though, and rather like a large and faithful dog will always welcome you and do her best for you.

I haven't yet descended so far into madness as to leave an old sweater with my smell on it in the driver's seat to keep her company, or calling round to talk to her when I'm not actually going to use her - but maybe it's only a matter of time?

Does anyone else suffer from this pitiful aberration? Or is it just me? Should I seek professional advice? Is it too late.......?

• Like Like x 4
  2. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

keep him/her on the drive then you can visit all the time and both will be happy

• Like Like x 4
  3. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

You should get out more!

In the van, of course! :Laughing:

Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  4. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

My snotty Hymer (Busby) gets out for a drive every few days even if we are not going away.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

One small problem with that - terraced house, no drive!

6. G4OGE

G4OGE

No Problem

No problem Sell the house live in the van Simples.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

'Shirley' (she's a Valentine) is definitely part of the family and responds well to a kind word and some TLC :BigGrin:

She's got a bit of a problem with a crumbling undercarriage at the moment but haven't we all :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 6
  8. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Oh our Hymer "don't ask that's what we call her" probabbly because we wanted one for so long when we got her the Hymer just seemed the right thing to call her, and she is not at all snotty, I would make sure she always has something to keep her bonnet clean.

Now as you can tell we are not attached to her Not Much :rollonfloor:we even bought some sheepskin covers for her seats so she does not get cold in the winter, we like to take her for regular little trips, in fact this week end we are takeing her Motor Bike raceing with Hilldweller:Eeek: then we may take her to the beach for some fresh air. Oh dear she has got me rambling on about her again, what was it you said do we get attached.:Blush:

• Like Like x 6
  9. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

It's like our house, for living in when we need too.
    Also, it is a money pit, like our house.

Emotionally attatched, no.
    Financially attatched, yes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Your a toughy, while away overseas this week I mentioned to my buddy that I'm missing my van......he enquired about the fraunline!!!:Wink:

11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Our first camper was a pop-top Autosleeper on a Commer base, as the registration was MMJ, he became Marmajuke (yes I know it's spelled wrong!). Our next one was an ex-ambulance so was known as Eeyore after the noise he used to make in a previous life! :BigGrin:

Then we had an Elddis Autoquest and his registration was HCT I think, so became Hector.

Our next one, a Swift Suntor 590RS had the registration FE51 PEO so was known as Peony, then our Rapido 709F was just known as the 'baby' as he was soooooooooo cute!!! I don't remember ever giving our Rimor a 'new' name but as he was a hansom beast 'Rimor' just seemed most appropriate. I did name our Chasson Flash 04 - I used to watch the TV series "Without a Trace" with Anthony LaPaglia who Mum referred to as 'chubby chops', so as the Chausson was chubby we called him Anthony too!

Now we've got our Autocruise Accent but I haven't actually named 'it' although I do refer to 'it' as him! :RollEyes: Nothing seems to 'go' with the registration - FX12 DCF ... any suggestions?

Now as a digression, we have named some of our cars ... we used to have a Bond minicar so as hubby worked in the stationery business it seemed most appropriate to call the car Basildon Bond.:Laughing: And of course I've now got my purpley-pink Smart car known as the 'flying plum'!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  12. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

My Hymer is kept in storage 4.5 miles away. I run to the storage yard to bring her out and of course I run back when I lock her up again.

The long run uphill is a thrill, the easy down hill return is just glum.

Nothing quite like the tingle I get when she is about to have a nice long trip.

13. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

It is a machine - nothing more, nothing less

• Like Like x 1
  14. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Now we've got our Autocruise Accent but I haven't actually named 'it' although I do refer to 'it' as him! :RollEyes: Nothing seems to 'go' with the registration - FX12 DCF ... any suggestions?

There was 2 films about a special FX film engineer, so as the reg is FX12 (FX parts one and 2), why not call it Special.....seems fitting!!:BigGrin::thumb:

15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Our motorhome has a name.. We call her 'the van'

But you will notice we have anthropomorphised it.. 'she'

Woman always talks to her when the going gets tough, and often pats her dash to encourage her ( :Eeek::Eeek: :Blush: )

16. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Not a toughy, just practical.

I have actually given it a name, but Mrs k doesn't like it.
    Because of the ongoing "faults from new" situation, I have started calling it Van Friday (as in Man Friday from Robinson Crusoe) because it was a Friday afternoon build. Also, like Man Friday, it does lots of things that we want, but never quite right. :Doh:

17. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

You have serious van issues! But yes, ours is a him, he's called Herman and I love him.:Wink:

18. Shuggy68

Shuggy68

my motorhome

i love my motorhome in away she is better than the wife ......she dosent talk :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

19. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Mine's a boy called Buck, for obvious reasons. I have been known to just go outside and sit in him with a cuppa just to relax. Must get away soon. Stay out sun and wind go away. Maybe next week. :BigGrin:

Ivy

• Like Like x 1
  20. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Bad Shuggy, tut tut.

• Like Like x 1