How am I going to put my make-up on?? (1 Viewer)

Swisstony

Free Member
Aug 29, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since August 2010
Decided Sunday, to give the MH a run. Anyhow, because of the way I park on the drive, I have to enter through the passenger side, and as I was making my way to the drivers seat, I knocked the rear-view mirror clean off!:Doh:

Can I just superglue it back on again?

Or will I have to purchase a new MH? :winky:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Decided Sunday, to give the MH a run. Anyhow, because of the way I park on the drive, I have to enter through the passenger side, and as I was making my way to the drivers seat, I knocked the rear-view mirror clean off!:Doh:

Can I just superglue it back on again?

Or will I have to purchase a new MH? :winky:
na pull the curtains and use the wing mirrors

Simba

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Basildon, Essex. UK
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
Since 2009-2013
Car accessory shops sell double sided mirror tape, have used them in the past or try a windscreen fitting agent they will have it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If it mounts directly to the windscreen DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE SUPERGLUE DIRECTLY ON THE GLASS!! It will crack the windscreen.

D.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Super glue will work
However if you want to do it once, and once only, call into your local windscreen fiiting shop and ask for a mirror fixing pad:thumb:
those available at halfrauds ect are not a patch (excuse pun) on the real McCoys

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
superglue wont be a lasting repair :Sad:

try a local motoring shop/motor factors for the proper kit to refix it.

consists of a spirit wipe...got to be spotless... a mesh pad, poss fiberglass ?, and a tube of proper glass bonding fluid.

clean glass, cut pad to size, few drops of glass bond fluid on mirror mount and place pad on..dabbing to soak through, place on screen and hold for a few seconds......

you only get one shot at getting it on straight as a few seconds later it wont come off, at all.

cant remember the name, possibly holts, but they'll know it.

dont bother with the rediculous sticky pad type...the mirror vibrates all over the place and the sun will soften the pad and fall off.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
na pull the curtains and use the wing mirrors

If its the small part that sticks to the glass front windscreen that your internal mirror slides onto from the top................I would use epoxy resin...a thin layer....5 min set (araldite) just hold it till it goes off ...make sure none runs down onto your window ...if it does wipe of with a cloth damped with white spirit............... it would help it set quicker if your van and window was warm......if you have to have a new windscreen they fit a new one every time so no problems:winky:
I did the same getting in bumped the mirror ........that is what I used.... perfect
MEL:thumb:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If it mounts directly to the windscreen DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE SUPERGLUE DIRECTLY ON THE GLASS!! It will crack the windscreen.

D.
this is correct , i have had to replace a screen on a car that i tried to use super glue to stick the mirror back on

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Either the superglue shrinks or expands as it cures, I don't know which but I know it will crack the windscreen as I've seen it happen several times.

D.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Either the superglue shrinks or expands as it cures, I don't know which but I know it will crack the windscreen as I've seen it happen several times.

D.

We live and learn. I would have made that mistake. A bit of googling produced this:

================================
there is a glue for the job, but its expensive, im glad the superglue didnt work because in the summer when the screen expands in the heat it will send a crack down your screen because the superglue wont expand with it, pop down to your nearest windscreen dealership RAC Autowindscreens is who i work for,
================================

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back