House purchase question (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
A lot of this is due what went on in the 70's and 80's. Back then common areas not adopted by the local authority were left in the hands of the house buyers. When a path or car park needs repairing there is no central point to enforce to arrange the repair and enforce payment so very often nothing gets done.
Just sold a property last week and and had to make a statement that during my ownership there had been no requests to repair the common areas and associated walls.
Hopefully with a management company all should stay in good order.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have a clause on our deeds that if the church needs repair, the residents have to chip in and pay for it. Luckily the church was demolished for a housing development years ago.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Bought our place in Edinburgh in March and we have an annual factoring fee of £260 .This covers lighting, tree maintenance and upkeep of communal areas.The fees go to a company 'given' the contract by the developer but as I understand it this company can be sacked if voted out by a majority of residents.Personally I would find out about how the land management company operates and look at feedback.They may be doing a good job.I certainly wouldn't back out or try going into any litigation over £150 per year!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
right, so this is going to sound alarmist however it is just common sense based on previous experience of owning a house near a mine

if the homeowners are responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the ground on the estate and the area was previously a mine area, be extremely cautious. ground slip, heave and subsidence is a real risk in these areas. filling a sink hole and capping off can run into £100k s and is not covered by many insurers. even if the ground sank in a public area of the estate, with this covenant in place your son would be part liable for the costs to put it right and safe

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Similar problem experienced. Our estate, built in the 90's had a planning clause requiring the developer to maintain all common grounds for 10 years. Old planning rules would have meant the council then took over. Our council refused initially and the matter was only resolved when te developer flatly refused to continue and subsequently retired! By default the land then became the responsibility of the council. Now maintained by council but took a lot of pressure from a residents group and support of local councillor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back