House insurance while away for up to four months

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by artemis, May 8, 2014.

1. artemis

artemis

We currently have our house and contents insurance with the Camping and Caravan club which allows us to leave the house unoccupied for up to 180 days at a time. Their renewal premium seems very high compared with other quotes doubtless because of the risks of leaving property empty.
    I wondered if anybody knew of any other company that will give cover when you are away for months at a time so we could do a comparison.
    Thanks Elizabeth

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

get a friend or family to live in it for a few days .at about 178 days .

3. tony_g

tony_g Funster

I switched house and contents to Aviva this year and saved money over my previous policies. The process for cover extended beyond 60 days away is to take out the basic policy and then advise them when you have dates for an extended absence. They will then charge a percentage additional premium depending on length of time and season (winter/summer).

4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

We go and stay in my brother's house for a week or two when he is in New Zealand with his son. We checked with his insurance company and they were happy with the arrangement. Last year he was away for 9 months and we went to stay several times at odd intervals as did other family members. His other son was there every day picking up post etc.

5. jaygee

jaygee Funster

We too are with Aviva and have paid around £50 for cover whilst we were away for 4 months. Just watch when you get your renewal premium as they add this cover on automatically the following year!