HOT WATER DE-SCALE (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
I need to de-scale the hot water system. What is the best way to go about this and does it affect the fresh water tank in anyway. We use the M/H most of the time so quickest method possible would be very useful. I have been told white vinegar does the job but as said would this affect the water tank. Thank in antisipation for any advice.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
This thread might be helpful

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/cleaning-truma-boiler-with-citric-acid.127399/

Truma used to do a specific product for descaling the boiler but when you looked at the make up of it, it was basically citric acid.

I did mine using 500g citric acid diluted in about 25 litres of water (I think) into the fresh water tank and ran it through into the boiler through both the hot water taps until the fresh water tank was empty. I then left it for an hour and then flushed through the whole system with fresh water. Citric acid won't taint the same way that vinegar might.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
1, empty fresh tank and hw system
2, fill with 30 l of fresh water and 5 litres of vinegar.....cheapest will do.
3, heat solution for ten minutes and leave to cool
4, draw through hot water system
5 heat solution for another 10 minutes
6 draw through all hot pipes and leave in pipes over night
7 drain fresh tank and boiler
8 flush out fresh tank and boiler until smell of vinegar goes away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I use Food Grade Citric acid. It doesn't leave the vinegary taste/smell.

This is the stuff I use... http://amzn.to/2bLONiP

I also don't do the whole system. I drain a little out of the boiler, then disconnect the top hose (outlet) pour the already hot solution in. Reconnect the pipe and turn it on.
I leave it for 20-30 minutes then use the dump valve to drain the lot off. Then refill and drain again.

While I am at it I disconnect my shower hose/head and soak that in solution as well.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
While 'doing' the heating system why not do the whole system with one of the many 'bio cleaning' agents around? water tanks and pipes can become a great breading ground for some nasty bugs.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back