Hot Water boiler .... how to stop it freezing (1 Viewer)

Plinky

Free Member
Dec 21, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia James Cook 2004
Exp
hi , I'm travelling through France and I will be in minus temperatures for a few days. At night I'm leaving the diesel heating on low, but is there anything specific I need to do with my truma gas water heater to stop it's tank freezing, or is the heating in the van normally enough? Thanks for any advice ..... I don't want to spring an ice induced leak.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When I'm away my hot water is on all the time. It doesn't use a lot more gas than having to heat from cold each time you need hot water, it's there on demand and no risk of freezing. The only time I turn it off is when refuelling.

OP
OP
P

Plinky

Free Member
Dec 21, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for the advice. I'm fairly new to all this. I've turned it on but to a low '30' setting. Hopefully that should do it. My heating is diesel and I only use very little hot water , but as recommended here, it's better to heat the water and use some gas than have any problems, at least until I find some warmer weather. Cheers

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Switch it to heating AND water!

So have i. Your point is?

Does not stop both being on!
Also in original post he says GAS for water!
... you said to switch IT, ie the Truma to heating and water ... as his heating is diesel he can't switch the Truma to both as it will only be gas (and electric) ... if you hadn't said IT then I wouldn't have responded originally ... :doh:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
... you said to switch IT, ie the Truma to heating and water ... as his heating is diesel he can't switch the Truma to both as it will only be gas (and electric) ... if you hadn't said IT then I wouldn't have responded originally ... :doh:
Ok if we are being pedantic leave BOTH om!
My deisel does both

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ooooooooommmmmmmmm .... Oooooooooommmmmmmmm ..... and relax. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Plinky

Free Member
Dec 21, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi. I have tried driving with it on and it goes out (red light) . Do I need to fit the metal shield over the flu when driving? I also have the plastic cover but assume since it has no vents this is only for when it is not used. Thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi. I have tried driving with it on and it goes out (red light) . Do I need to fit the metal shield over the flu when driving? I also have the plastic cover but assume since it has no vents this is only for when it is not used. Thanks
Please do NOT drive with the gas boiler on ... it is not meant to be left on when driving and would be dangerous if you had an accident, the diesel heating which can be used on the move should be sufficient to keep you nice and snug whilst travelling and so long as you put the Truma on (once stopped!) to get the water hot each evening and don't use all the water it shouldn't be sufficiently hot overnight to prevent any issues with the cold.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Please do NOT drive with the gas boiler on ... it is not meant to be left on when driving and would be dangerous if you had an accident, the diesel heating which can be used on the move should be sufficient to keep you nice and snug whilst travelling and so long as you put the Truma on (once stopped!) to get the water hot each evening and don't use all the water it shouldn't be sufficiently hot overnight to prevent any issues with the cold.
My fridge runs on gas when I am driving! It is designed to.

Mind you, the engine runs off of LPG so that is always turned on when I am driving as well.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Mind you, the engine runs off of LPG so that is always turned on when I am driving as well.
Eddie, you're may do that but you don't have a 'eurobox' MH ...

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Eddie, you're may do that but you don't have a 'eurobox' MH ...
I have often wondered what people think the difference is? We have people paranoid about shutting LPG off when travelling, often after reading advice from others on forums.

When people are perspiring, worrying if they remembered to got outside in the rain and turn their gas off, wondering if they have time to nip out and check it, before the traffic moves away from the traffic lights, I wonder what goes through their minds when they glance at a garage forecourt and see people filling up, and driving away on LPG?

Funny old world.

Over the years we have prepared food going along, washed up, made drinks, showered, slept, used the loo, sat at the dinette and written all sorts of things. Our dogs lay on the floor and when our kids were little we would let them watch videos once they were in their jimjams until they were sleepy and then used to tuck them up in either the over cab or our bed and move them again when we stopped.

Having bought our first motorhome, brand spankin new when I was 28 years old with three little children I have masses of experience and thankfully can tell anyone interested in actual facts that motorhoming is an amazingly safe pastime and I can't remember the last fatality for nodding off in the wrong seat, using the loo underway or forgetting to turn of the water heater

relax and enjoy France

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Does your fridge have a sealed burner with a balance flue or is it a naked flame like Euro fridges, 'caus it is against the road traffic act to drive with a naked gas flame.?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Only the fan flued Truma combi can be used on the move and the the gas system must meet the requirements, i.e. Secumotion regulator and anti-rupture hoses/bottles.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have often wondered what people think the difference is?
The difference is that what YOU choose to do is up to you, if you want to take all the risks you state above then so be it, advising others to do it though is another matter entirely.

Regarding the OP's specific question - as the Truma boiler goes 'off' when travelling it is obviously not meant to be left on otherwise this wouldn't happen.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The difference is that what YOU choose to do is up to you, if you want to take all the risks you state above then so be it, advising others to do it though is another matter entirely.

Regarding the OP's specific question - as the Truma boiler goes 'off' when travelling it is obviously not meant to be left on otherwise this wouldn't happen.
I didn't realise that I was advising anyone to do anything. I was offering a foil to some of the opinions often posted as "facts" when they are opinions.

Does your fridge have a sealed burner with a balance flue or is it a naked flame like Euro fridges, 'caus it is against the road traffic act to drive with a naked gas flame.?
What about tarmac lorries? ;)

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
What about tarmac lorries? ;)
Aren't their gas burners only on when resurfacing not bombing down the highway at 70, if you read the 1988 Road Traffic Act it clearly states not allowed to drive a vehicle with a naked gas flame.

How about answering the question does your fridge have a naked flame?:D

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Aren't their gas burners only on when resurfacing not bombing down the highway at 70, if you read the 1988 Road Traffic Act it clearly states not allowed to drive a vehicle with a naked gas flame.

Doesn't a flame mean a flame? When the line painting is being done by a vehicle driving down the road in front of me wouldn't that be a contravention?

I have never been able to look if there is a flame when the RV is being driven so I couldn't answer.

Given that the RV had to meet the agreed spec agreed by the RV dealers and VOSA I guess that it isn't a problem.

I have never read the 1988 Road Traffic Act. No doubt If I did it would pretty much rule out the use of most motorhomes on the road

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I suppose then that I had better not mention the "hot swapping" we would do when tired? Flip up the steering wheel, slide the drivers seat right back, engage cruise control

Wife (Lyn) stands in front of me and takes hold of the steering wheel, I the release the wheel and slide out of the seat, pressing the button to slide the Captains Seat forward. Lyn sits down and adjusts the steering wheel and column back down to a more comfortable position, leaving me free to start the generator and get on with dinner!

Its great to arrive after a long drive to a hot roast dinner.

And no, no naked flames were hurt in the process! the 6Kva built in generator runs on petrol so all the cooking is done using 220VAC and the roast in the convection oven

Were not mad you know!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011

.. Isn't it C&U 1986 ...
In this case my understanding is it can't be a naked flame to the outside of an appliance.. and there has to be a device that cuts off the gas if the appliance fails to function?
I'm pretty sure that vehicles such as the ones @eddievanbitz refers to are excluded as long as they have the cut out device...

On the subject of changing drivers... back in the day.. long drives in 4 tonners on autobahns .. driver changeover... from back over roof down through top and swap without slowing..

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
.. Isn't it C&U 1986 ...
In this case my understanding is it can't be a naked flame to the outside of an appliance.. and there has to be a device that cuts off the gas if the appliance fails to function?
I'm pretty sure that vehicles such as the ones @eddievanbitz refers to are excluded as long as they have the cut out device...

On the subject of changing drivers... back in the day.. long drives in 4 tonners on autobahns .. driver changeover... from back over roof down through top and swap without slowing..
That is my understanding of the situation

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Can't resist winding Eddie up.:D

1986 No. 1078

ROAD TRAFFIC
The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
upload_2017-1-25_17-38-7.png

To me it reads like the Tarmac lorry is legal but the RV isn't.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I suppose then that I had better not mention the "hot swapping" we would do when tired? Flip up the steering wheel, slide the drivers seat right back, engage cruise control

Wife (Lyn) stands in front of me and takes hold of the steering wheel, I the release the wheel and slide out of the seat, pressing the button to slide the Captains Seat forward. Lyn sits down and adjusts the steering wheel and column back down to a more comfortable position, leaving me free to start the generator and get on with dinner!

Its great to arrive after a long drive to a hot roast dinner.

And no, no naked flames were hurt in the process! the 6Kva built in generator runs on petrol so all the cooking is done using 220VAC and the roast in the convection oven

Were not mad you know!

We have always preferred to let the co-pilot stand behind the driver.
Take the van up to 70, knock it into neutral then the driver slides over and the co-pilot slips into the driving seat.

:)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Can't resist winding Eddie up.:D

1986 No. 1078

ROAD TRAFFIC
The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986
View attachment 144478

To me it reads like the Tarmac lorry is legal but the RV isn't.
Well it states that a naked flame that is not on the outside of the appliance for a refrigeration device. No naked flame on the outside of my fridge So I'm fine. Also refers to a "bus" My RV is manufactured by the Gulf Stream Coach Company and is listed as a Coach!

Now lets measure those lights stuck in the front of the fibreglass on Lenny Henny's conversion lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back