Dec 16, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 month!
HI

Does anyone know the merits of the above processes when applied to trailers?

Looking to add trailer and Smart car to bring some flexibility and manufacturers of Brain James and Smart Trailers have different approaches - so as I am a none techie then confusion reigned (or rained as it is bank holiday).

Another name that has cropped up is Bantam - are these all ALKO? If so what impact does that have - weight/stability etc

Thanks

Snowy

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Investigating similar requirements. One thing I did notice is that Bantam over a mini trailer with caravan type movers fitted (and I assume a Battery and box)

The Smart can have a tow bar fitted , The car we have does not allow a towbar, so anything that helps move the trailer would be welcome.

Front push towbar on the motorhome may help, but being 24ft long, could be a little tight for space.

Rgds

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sorry cant help with the bantam trailer, but have owned two Brian James trailers in the past,and in my opinion they are as good as they come.
Parts are easily available when rarely neaded,and they have towed perfectly, most of the race boys use them,so that tells its own story.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
In a nutshell the 2 differ like this.

Hot Dipped

The trailer is made and then taken to be galvanised after construction. Hot dipping gives a much thicker coat of galvanising, gets into all the nooks and crannies and as long as any box sections have been drilled with good sized holes they are coated both inside and out. When i say a good sized hole i dont mean a 5mm hole to allow for gas expansion in sealed box sections, but usually box sections open at 1 or both ends.

Pre gav

The sections used are galvanised at the same time they are made, the galvanising is usually a lot thinner than hot dipping and the BIG down side is that any machining done (cutting, welding or drilling) to the sections actually cut through the galvanising leaving a raw untreated edge for corrosion to start.

Go for hot dipping every time, its more expensive but will last a lot longer. :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We tow our 107 toad on a Brian James trailer. Well worth the money :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!