Hosing down the van

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Decmac, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Decmac

Decmac Read Only Funster

Hi all,
    Answer me this please: Is it of any benefit to hose down the van after a week or so being mainly parked near the sea. Have done this a few times (on different occasions, may I add), also the underbody of the van, so as to remove salt deposits. From time to time I have met people who said it is worth doing if you have a new van or nearly new. Do you really think it is worth it? Or would it be better to use a power sprayer instead of a hose. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.:Cool:

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

If the van is kept for a long time near the sea it would be a good idea to do a bit of wax oil underneath and spray WD40 around the engine compartment.

Otherwise do give it a good wash with fresh water and plenty of it.

Salty air is highly corrosive and can cause rust and other problems.

Peter

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Living a few hundred yards from the sea,, I always wash mine once a fotnight even when not being used,

And Preasure wash after each run/holiday..

Salt in the air does no favours to gell coat or paintwork.

And although a long borring job I always polish before the onset of winter as well,, even my cars.

And give under the wheel arches a good blast now and then. Be suprised how much muck gets caught up on the little edges and holds the damp..

Well I get her in doors to do it.. :Wink::Rofl1:

4. Decmac

Decmac Read Only Funster

Thank you both for the information. I suppose it is commonsense really where salty air is concerned. Recently I have noticed in places near the sea that certain things like railings and the like are corroded very badly. Also I have heard in the past that you should never buy and previously owned car from a person who lives in a seaside town or village, because of the danger of rust. Once again thanks for the info. Any more comments or suggestions from others is also welcome on this topic.:Cool:

5. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

or any vehicle driven on roads where salt is used to get rid of ice.

6. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

I fully agree with hoseing down the van, but myself would not use a pressure washer. I have seen the result of over use, and sealant removed by the force of the water.:Eeek: this caused more problems possibly than the salt.

Dave:thumb:

7. gdf

gdf Read Only Funster

Power Wash

I don't think I'd use a power wash as I'm fairly sure that the label stuck on the windscreen of my new RollerTeam says don't use one - trouble is it's in Italian.

8. Decmac

Decmac Read Only Funster

Thanks for advice

Re hosing down the van, thanks to everyone who replied, all very important to know and also not to use a power hose on it either. Feel free to reply with your thoughts to anyone else who hasn't contributed but who may like to do so - Decmac:thumb:

9. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Well my "Chausson" owners manual states that waranty is void if a pressure washer has been used at any time. So its hose pipe and microfibre mit for me. :BigGrin:

10. jezport

jezport Funster

I do motorhome valeting, and do not use a pressure washer. It is hard work to clean a large van which has gone green over winter by hand, but I would never use a pressure washer as they can cause too much damage