hose ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by rich g, Apr 10, 2016.

1. rich g

rich g Funster

I need to buy a new hose for filling the fresh water tank.
    Do you use food grade or just the normal hose pipe.
    I have used both as we only drink bottled water,not sure whether it is worth paying extra for a food grade.

2. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Ours is food grade, but only because that's what was recommended when we bought our first motorhome and as we were nervous about everything we thought we should do things proper.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I would just use a garden hose....I've never used anything else.
    Unless you bought the van new, how do you know what was used by the previous owner/s.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

There are endless posts about this topic.. those who say you don't need food grade and others, myself included who use it.. the ones who don't use it won't ever be converted..

there are plenty of food grade hose sold on eBay.. I use clear braided food grade ..

the only type of food grade I wouldn't buy is the flat roll up type.. had a few but they didn't last long.. they are ok if you are very careful when you roll up.. any dirt or grit trapped in the roll soon punctures it.. .. but if you are space challenged.. probably your best bet

Bottom line, non food grade plastics can, over time, leach out chemicals which are carcinogenic.. they may also taint the water..

your choice..

6. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

I use ordinary garden hose, but then again we don't drink the water , only use it for cooking & washing.
    We always fill separate bottles for drinking & making tea/coffee.

7. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We did have a flat one. It didn't survive the water canon pressure at Chamonix aire though. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

normal garden hose but dont drink water from tank

9. maison

maison Funster

Carry food grade lay flat hose with us for filling in sites etc, but fill up at home using garden grade hose. Always flush through first.

Never had a problem with either.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sweetie

sweetie Funster

Used same piece of yellow garden hose for 14 years and always drink water from tank, I,m still here. We just make sure it is well flushed through.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Enword

Enword Funster

We always use food grade I can taste the plastic ( leaches into the water) if you can taste it in my view it cant be good for you. (y)

12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

if using a garden hose doesnt worry you, then why not? only causes cancer

food grade plastics used in the more expensive hoses and proper containers are not just a gimmick. just like lead pipes were outlawed for potable water sources. you cannot always taste anything in tainted water but it is harmful to your body

an extra £5 - £10 is a small price to pay

• Like Like x 2
  13. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

We use normal hose. We rarely drink from the tank but if we are short of bottled we will boil it for coffee.

• Like Like x 1
  14. seabreezesports

seabreezesports Funster

Being on spring water worrying about the type of hose is irrelevant. So is worrying worrying about which hose to buy if you don't have a sterile place to use and store it .

• Like Like x 1
  15. scotjimland

how so ?

if your spring water is tainted, or may cause cancer.. then maybe you should consider finding another spring..

Normal tap water is chlorinated, flushing a food grade hose before filling sterilises it ..

What's Your Garden Hose Made Of?
    The Ecology Center, a non-profit research group, tested 21 different garden hoses purchased from popular stores like Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, and Walmart, looking for chemicals like lead, cadmium, bromine (associated with flame retardants), chlorine (which indicates the presence of polyvinyl chloride, or PVC), phthalates, and bisphenol-A (BPA).1

One-third of the hoses tested contained high levels of one or more chemicals of concern, and more than half (67 percent) were made of PVC. PVC is a significant source of exposure to chemicals known as phthalates, which are used as plasticizers.

The total phthalate content of the hoses ranged from 11 percent to 18 percent by weight, and all of those made from PVC that were tested for phthalates contained one or more chemicals banned for use in children's products by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

Read more

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/06/24/garden-hose-chemicals.aspx

16. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

We use X hose, lightweight, expanding, empties itself and packs away very easily. We never drink from the tank anyway. As far as plastic leaching from hose the water needs to be in the hose for some time for that to happen and unless you kept it connected to the van and under pressure all the time that does not happen. Anyway, what type of pipework is there before the supply tap, I suggest a mixture of old iron, copper or plastic or a combination of all three, particularly in campsites and farmers fields.... I personally have not heard of anyone pegging it just because they used non food grade filling hoses etc!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. scotjimland

how would you know if someone 'pegged' it from a cancer caused by chemicals leaching from a hose ?

I can never fathom out why people decide to risk their health for the sake of a few extra quid.. If your food was sold in a known cancer causing PVC container would you still buy it.. ? I certainly wouldn't..

Citing other potential hazards isn't reducing the risk.. it's like smokers saying you can die from exhaust fumes.. which is also true.. but not a reason to keep on smoking..

As I said earlier.. your choice..

18. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

You are right, I wouldn't know but if it really was a serious health issue then I'm sure, in this day of health and safety, we would all be informed and advised. My opinion is that "food grade" is something some people have latched onto purely to see certain types of hoses.
    As for citing other potential hazards, I'm not, just stating that if there was any contamination it would probably have already occurred in the supply pipeline long before your little piece of hose was connected. My opinion of course and others will make up their own minds, not wishing to convert one way or other. :happy:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You may wish to read it a bit more closely yourself Jim ... below is interesting and IMV quite telling about the method used to get the test results to 'prove' their findings:

One of the primary problems with making consumer products out of toxic plastics is that the chemicals can be released into the water that runs through them. This is why I've long recommended using glass dishware, storage containers, and drinking bottles in lieu of plastics. Obviously, there are no glass garden hoses (though there are some more natural options, which I'll explain shortly)…

What this means is that, assuming your garden hose is made of toxic plastic chemicals, as it sits outside in the sun those chemicals concentrate in the water. When the Ecology Center researchers tested water from a hose that was left out in the sun for two days, they found:
    • BPA levels of 0.34 to 0.91 ppm, which is three to nine times higher than the safe drinking water levels used by the National Science Foundation (NSF)
    • DEHP (a phthalate) levels of 0.017 ppm to 0.011 ppm, which is two times higher than federal drinking water standards
    Generally speaking, the study found that PVC and vinyl hoses were the worst in terms of leaching phthalates and BPA, which makes sense since phthalates are used to make plastics flexible. Those with copper fittings contained the most lead.4 In 2012, the researchers found even worse results when they tested 90 garden hoses, including BPA levels of 2.3 ppm and DEHP levels of 0.025 ppm.5(For that study they also found that many gardening products, including gloves, kneeling pads, and tools, contain chemicals of concern as well.) The Ecology Center reported on the garden-hose findings:6
    So it appears that everyone who prefers to drink bottled water out of plastic containers, uses any sort of plastic for consuming food/drink from, wears some products (gardening gloves for example) made from types of plastics/man-made materials etc are also running the risk of 'absorbing' toxins.

If you left a hose out in the sun for 2 days and then use the water within it WITHOUT flushing it first then you'd be totally idiotic IMV! The ONLY timed this would ever happen would possibly be on a serviced pitch where you had a hose permanently connected to constantly keep the tank topped up ... some caravanners do it but I'm not aware of many, if any, motorhome owners that do.

I've always drunk from the tank of all my MHs without a problem but I do make sure that the garden hose I use is a good one (anti-kink etc) rather than the stupidly cheap ones, and ensure it is well drained after use but more importantly well flushed through before filling with it, not for fear of toxins, but for bugs that can thrive in a damp atmosphere which is more of a threat to health ... even food grade hoses cannot stop this.

The amount of 'contamination' from toxins etc whilst filling would be absolutely miniscule so whilst some like to have a food-grade hose personally I've never felt it a necessity.

What is IMV more important is having a good 'filling procedure':
    • ensure your hose/fittings are kept clean
    • disinfect the tap before you attach your hose (you don't know what it's been used for previously)
    • flush through well before filling
    • get as much water out afterwards as you can
    • don't leave it out once you've finished
    Some people don't want to drink from the tank and that's fine by me, just as my doing so should be fine by them ... I wouldn't criticise them for their choice and neither should I be criticised for mine.

The OP - as you don't drink from the tank my advice would be to go for a good garden hose (anti-kink).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Microchip

Microchip Funster

We have a Nature Pure system fitted with a separate tap, but I still use a food grade hose.
    Can't be bothered having to carry plastic bottles, waste of time..
    Keith

• Like Like x 2