this is hearsay as i haven't tried it for my self,

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Watering cans never kink, at least not in my experience. Cheaper as well, easy to clean inside and outside and, trust me, faster than a hose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We have had a 75m one for over a year. Great bit of kit for MH . After filling up just unplug and then the water is forced out when the hose shrinks down. Just stuff it into a small bag and back on the hook in the garage. Never had a problem

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have an X hose. They are good enough so long as you don't catch it on a wall , stone etc. Easily punctured but they are very handy and pack up small. Don't create a build up of pressure or you will blow the end off.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Also an advocate of the X hose, although mine is a 'copy'. Love it although can be a bit slow to fill as you can't turn the tap on max pressure in case it bursts. Definitely no kinking and mine stores in a sponge bag.

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Watering cans never kink, at least not in my experience. Cheaper as well, easy to clean inside and outside and, trust me, faster than a hose.

How many watering cans does it take to fill your van :eek:

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
I have a Brunner flat hose on a reel and I am really happy with it. Yes it is a bit slower to fill up the tank but is well worth it. I fitted a short length of ordinary blue hose on to the end which i fit into MH tank opening. When finished just wind the hose pipe back around the reel, water comes out as you do this, and that's it job done.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have a few of these, one for the van with ends to fill up when away, and a couple at home, however the one that I used most at home suddenly burst at the fitting end, I tried repair but it went further down. It is probably my fault as I left it exposed to sunlight and heat over the summer. UV got to the rubber tube and it perished, the others are fine.
They are easy to pack away but you obviously have to empty them down every time so I lift the end and put it all on the ground as the water pours out. To save time use the main tap to be off first leaving the hose tap open to get the pressure out , then drain it becomes much longer and harder as the pressure goes in and uncoils like a snake until fully erected ( shut up smutty ones) I use the long one for the van. They are available for a big variation in price, so look on line to get ,and compare the best price. Homebase etc probably a lot dearer.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Bought a genuine X Hose in Morrisons as we did a last minute shop as you do when killing time at Harwich this summer. They were selling them off so I bought a 100' for £30. Ours hangs on a couple of ladder hooks next the tap on a north wall so gets no sun to ruin it hopefully. Great bit of kit but I might not risk replacing it at full price when it packs up.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I bought an X-hose to shed a bit of weight. They are very light but I suspect rather susceptible to puncturing. Take care when disconnecting if under pressure, or you will gain a sleeve-full!

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We haven't got one as SWMBO (Steph) won't let me buy one until the flat reeled hose we presently use is past repairing
Normal operating procedure in this house though We will probably get a couple in Spain Next year

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I bought an X-hose to shed a bit of weight. They are very light but I suspect rather susceptible to puncturing. Take care when disconnecting if under pressure, or you will gain a sleeve-full!

Haha! That won't be the first time! :rofl:

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks guys...we are going to get one.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Buuuuuuuttttttttt .... it won't be FOOD GRADE :eek:.... OMG o_O... you're gonna suffer .... :censored:

the wrath of the 'non-food hose' worriers!!! :LOL:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the x hose in principle is a great idea, however the inner is only a sleeve of polythene. same stuff as used in better carrier bags, but covered with a plaited elastic net

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I have an x hose , been using it with care ,ie, common sense for over six months now its so easy to use. i need a longer one tho , thats not the mrs typing:), so that will be the next buy once i get to park near a shop that sells them. they are fragile but so much less hassle (y)

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
We too have an x hose, the only negative point is that you need good water pressure to stretch it to its full length, we joined a50m and a 25 m hose to each other, the pressure at the tap was reasonable, but 75 metres away from the tap it wasn't much more than trickle

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We always used to travel with a full tank, never do now, 30 litres and a 10 litre top up for each day. Never been caught out anywhere. I got fed up filling the tank before we left, get the hose out, flush it through, flake it round to the drive, fill the tank, disconnect hose, empty hose, roll it up, put it away. Watering can, fast, easy, hygienic, no connections, works in streams and lochs, easily cleaned etc.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Although they say it empties itself, not sure I'd be happy with the possibility of stale water retention and resultant "nasties" when it retracts. We use a flat cassette type if the tap is within reach, otherwise a long-spout watering can. Also carry a couple of short lengths of ordinary hose for taps we can get reasonably close to which can be "rinsed through" before being put into the tank.

We're also in the "keep the tank full" brigade (got the payload). Nearly been caught out a few times, especially as we tend to avoid campsites.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
bought 3 of these, all got damaged and the ends ripped of with good water pressure, total waste of space.

now bought 2 x100 foot green garden hose, no bursts no hassle.

watering can no good to me, 100 gallon water tank, travel full.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I can understand the watering can filling but I cannot see how it can possibly be faster. Hose (whichever you prefer. I've got x type but prefer flat), connect to tap, put end into tank (well you know what I mean), turn tap on and when full turn off.
Watering can. Put can to tap, turn tap on, fill can, turn tap off. Walk to Van, discharge water till empty, walk to tap, turn tap on, fill can, turn tap off, walk to van etc etc etc till full. Yes for say 10/20 litres but mine is 95 litres and at home, a 100 yard walk back and forth. I suppose you're doing something whilst filling the water but I'd rather just un reel the hose and reel it back up again.
I do appreciate the advantage of lochs, lakes and streams etc but thanks but I'd rather buy a couple of bottles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back