Hose Pipe (2 Viewers)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Do you carry a length of hosepipe and an assortment of fittings with you?

I ask because I needed to fill my water tank whilst on a 'farmer's field' type of campsite, all of the facilities were there including a lot of standpipes around the field. However only one had a length of hose fitted and therefore the only one I could use.

It occured to me that my own hosepipe would have been very useful.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We do carry a hose but rarely use it, normally only if we need to top up on arrival. We also have an aquaroll which we use for any top-ups needed whilst staying somewhere (using a submersible pump) rather than drive close enough to a stand pipe.

Upvote 0

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We carry both a hose a massive range of fitting. Asda have got something called a X hose in at the moment. Hubby bought one of those the other day and was impressed when he coiled it back up and it went back in the box. 100ft for about £50 but there was a free gift with it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
I always use my own hose (as I know where it has been), rather than use a hose that I have no idea of how clean it is, or what it has been used for. I also carry a water container and submersible pump to use for topping up if I don't want to move the van.

Cheers

Trevor

Upvote 0

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
we carry two hoses, a joiner piece and an array of fittings for just about all taps....virtually always close enough to a tap to fill without recourse to other aids, although i do keep a 10ltr container for 'emergencies'...

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We carry a 20m flat through feed hose + a 20m flat hose (both rarely used) + a short 3m length together with a box of every possible hozelock type fitting.
However, apart from the initial fill-up on site the most usefull thing we carry is a 10L garden water can.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Own hose and variety of fittings for us. Like Trevor above, we like to know where the hose has been!

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i do carry a hose and fittings but really cant remember the last time i used it . possibly find its split if and when i do need it . like others a watering can or a ten or 20 litre container works for most instances .
bit like ehu lead never used it . bought solar and have never looked back.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Search the forum. Lots and lots of posts regarding hose pipes and which one should you use.

I use these. Takes up no space at all, weights nothing and very handy :)

Comes in various lengths too :)

Hope it helps.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@The Old Man . Like Travelling Wilbury and others above, I carry various lengths of hose. The main one that I use now is the expandable type. It curls up into a small bag and takes up little space and weight. However, when the hose is 'charged' it's over 50' long! Great piece of kit. It also has a cut-off valve at the end, so no more scarpering back to the tap when the waterfall starts! I also carry a cassette type, but haven't used it for ages because you have to evacuate the water from it prior to winding it back into the cassette.

Yep, like others, a vast range of connectors and adaptors too. I have used them all!

In addition, I carry a 20litre food grade plastic can with a flexible long spout for when I'm too lazy to move the van to the water source :D

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Having only just done our first trip, I would say make sure you have a screw on male hozelock connector to fit to a tap with threaded outlet as part of your various connectors suggested (and possibly an extra spare - will explain.)

Our motorhome dealer threw in a starter kit which proved very useful with a flat hose in a cassette with two connectors (hozelock female and rubber tighten up type for traditional tap.)

When we arrived at the New Forrest site we went to fill up with water plugged in using hozelock connector and thought no more.

Next time we needed more water went back to tap and no plastic male hozelock connector just the thread on the end of the tap waiting to have mine screwed on to it (which sadly I did not have.) Much to my wife's amusement I got thoroughly soaked trying to use the rubber connector to push on to end of tap which was far to big.

It sounds like some sites have a hose but this may not be the only site with limited water equipment so I would say moral of story have two connectors as plainly some one had left theirs behind on the tap and driven off so I now keep a spare in the glove box.

Thankfully at another tap I found a kind motorhome family that lent me their screw on connector so we could fill up.

Paul

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our selection, the roll flat one only been used twice in the last eight years, 3m & 7m always in use. Do also have 2 x 20Lt containers and submersible pump not for filling but to carry extra water as we only have a 100Lt tank.
Hoses collection.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
On a Scottish campsite a few years back the only tap had a square nozzle. I later emailed them and asked if they could suggest an appropriate fitting for my next visit. Their response was to change the tap. Result :).

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We carry one of these. Very versatile, (very compact), and sits nicely into the side locker (y)

Hozelock Pico Reel.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
I always use my own hose (as I know where it has been), rather than use a hose that I have no idea of how clean it is, or what it has been used for.

That's my take too.
I don't have space for much else. We always carry a couple of 2ltr milk bottles for drinking water and have used these to top up if desperate.
It is easier to store a hose than a watering can when you don't have a garage.

Brian

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We carry a long hose on a reel. Also have an aqua roll and pump.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Our supplying dealer provided us with a flat hose in a cassette. I have since read that any hose should be food grade.
When I was in a garden centre ( under sufferance) I had a look at some hoses and they were clearly marked not to be used for drinking water.
What is the right hose to have?

Upvote 0

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Your dealer gave you food grade hose- its fine if its long enough for you needs. If you think not, then buy another to join to it when needed mate. An extension to what you have got (you do not state its length) will not normally be on a reel, just rolled up. Its handy to have too much rather than not enough as with most things.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Always carry hosepipe and fittings. It fits in the gas bottle cupboard so no trouble.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a fulltimer I don't have the option of filling up before I leave home and I have visited lots of location over the last 7½ years.

My kit is a 5 Mtr length of food safe hose. This has a high quality metal hozelock connector on it.
This is what I try to use every time without any extensions. I try to drive my van to the water point to use this. The advantage of this short length is that it is easiest to wrangle and empty. It also goes into the filler hole nicely and doesn't fall out.

If I can't get close I also have a roll flat 20 Meter hose which I connect to the 5Mtr food safe hose using this

If I need a lot more reach then I have a spiral hose in the back of the van (which I have only used twice) which I connect using another one of the previous links.

I also carry one of these. I never use the hose that is already connected to a tap as other people may have used it to flush their cassette out and I have no idea what pathogens have accumulated over the years of (ab)use. I always unscrew the one fitted to the tap, and use my own.

The hozelock pro adapters are made of metal and last much longer than the plastic ones and give a better easier connection. I also carry a full set of plastic ones in case anyone wants to borrow any. I have had 2 sets go missing in the past. I have a set of Really Useful Boxes that are stackable and don't slide around on the shelf.

I have one for hose parts, one for gas parts, one for fuses/bulbs etc etc etc.
It is great having all the parts in a place I know where they all are and sorted.

Search on Amazon for "Really Useful Boxes" as they do a massive range.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
No garage so no hose, one 5ltr food grade container that is sterilised frequently and has to live in the tiny bathroom. (10 litre too heavy to hold under tap.)
A foot long piece of food grade pipe with a rubber funnel attached to aid pouring into the tank and lots of trips to the tap and back.
One has to get ones exercise somehow!

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
1 X 10m fold flat food grade hose, and one 14litre watering can.

Seems to cover all our needs.(y)

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We used to have the Brunner flat hose 15m, but have now switched to the Karcher Compact hose reel 10m very neat, fits to the side of the locker and the hose is Phthalate-free. Most important though are the many tap attachments, funnels and a collapsible 8 litre container.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back