Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Having done some research into the Bailey range of motorhomes recently, they claim, and I have no reason to doubt them, that they are the safest coach builds on the road: http://www.baileyalu-tech.co.uk/millbrook-image-gallery-mhomes.php

Which is probably OK, but I still wouldn't want to flip one, would probably still end up looking like the pictures above but with a little less timber laid around.

Brian

Reactions: DBK

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Might end up skewered on the end of a piece of ally framework instead of flattened by a fridge? :cautious:

It is a fair point. All manufacturers can do is to make their vehicles as safe as possible. When you read of some of the stuff people place on the floor of their motorhome (tents, drive away awnings, generators, microwaves, spare gas bottles etc.), it kind of defeats the point, not that I’m any saint in this matter.

All you can do is keep the vehicle well maintained, travel at a safe speed with plenty of braking distance to whatever is in front.

Brian

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suppose this total matchbox collapsing effect , wouldn't happen In a panel van . With it being an all metal box. The whole thing looks a bit rusty if you look at the rear end. It could have been the damp and rusty fixings that made it collapse like it did ?
It shouldn't but it's the bits inside coming loose which are the worry. The oven and fridge in our vehicle are across the back wall. I guess in a really bad smash the oven door could fly open and the grill pan come flying out and have a go at taking the top of my head off, and if that missed the shotgun effect from the fridge contents would be fun dodging. Assuming of course the appliances themselves didn't come loose and make a break for freedom through the windscreen.
Drive safe!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I never worry that the full size cooker is behind me when I am driving, and the full size fridge freezer is behind Mrs A, with about 10ft of air to get the momentum started......
At least the cupboards in the crash test video didn't open.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
To compare:-

This is a video of a fairly old N&B flair thats rolled.

I would suggest that the total disintegration that happened to the highlander and also to lots of caravans on our roads is less likely to happen to those Motorhomes made out of the alluminium sandwich construction as it is many times more rigid. There are also some hymer crashtest videos on youtube.

The Bailey video looks like a cgi jobbie to me. Bailey alutech contruction is only a refernce to the corner fastenings It not a rigid bonded construction like what the germans do. Imho it is likely to suffer a similar fate to the highwayman.

There are several videos showing motorhome construction on You tube. have a look and then decide whether you want to buy a well known british brand from the north east.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Hey, there's nowt wrong with the North East, although to be fair I'm just about to buy a MH from Bristol :)

A video made to impress, not sure how pertinent it is dropping it squarely from one meter onto concrete. Nevertheless impressive.

Brian

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our previous van received a pretty hard impact from Asda and our neighbour but it didn't fall apart, just a few bits dropped off :) It was a well known British brand from the north east.

We were pleased it was written off rather than being repaired for us, because we didn't fancy using it again. However, it was repaired and put back on the road by somebody so the structural integrity can't have been completely compromised :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I suppose this total matchbox collapsing effect , wouldn't happen In a panel van . With it being an all metal box. The whole thing looks a bit rusty if you look at the rear end. It could have been the damp and rusty fixings that made it collapse like it did ?
If it goes over or is hit with any force I don't think that many older motorhomes would fair any better.

Just keep that picture in your mind next time your doing 70mph down the motorway.
We live in hope :)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
If there was no other vehicle involved then it could have been a tyre blowout that caused the accident. Motorhome side walls are known to crack if stood for any length of time in the same position. If this happened on the inner side of the wheel then the owner would not have known. It's recommended that tyres are replaced every five years, despite low mileage, so we are due for a big bill this year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back