Hope this isn't someone on here! (1 Viewer)

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
When I worked in Cornwall driving buses a lady driver did the same as that with a DD bus because she was used to driving single deck buses and the cab layout was identical .She was not in service at the time so no one was hurt .Its easily done.

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
I'm not going to...

...but faced with this, would you risk your 3m van or do a 10+ point turn?

View attachment 122512

o_O

Learnt my lesson...... so wouldn't risk it and would do a 50 point turn if necessary :groan:
And yes I'm still driving, and yes I'm a member on here.......so there! :D:D:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I know I'm pushing the bounds of credulity - but that particular sign doesn't have whether its metric or imperial measurement.
Would the driver have a case, insurance-wise?
It would be feet and inches, as it would be blatantly obvious it is not 7.6m. And if it was 7.6m it wouldn't need to be marked.

Craig

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Do these height signs get adjusted when they retarmac the road underneath bridges?:eek:
i cant honestly say yes or no. but they do very often scrape the roads underneath then tarmac i imagine its the height of the layer of tarmac .
you do very often see water puddling under road bridges ,i,ve always thought it was due to the roads being higher outside the bridges for this reason .
might be wrong though.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
One thing about this, how do you stand on insurance, if you have a van that's a damp filled nail , could you just run it into a bridge and draw?(n)
Why bother? If it is on a Ford Transit chassis, chances are that it would just disappear into the night, never to be seen again

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
That is interesting.

It would be useful if they could put the width between the markers too so we would have a better idea if our 'vans would fit.
but are you really going to chance it .
say your vehicle is 3mtr high . but has a skylight as well. are you going through if its marked 6 inches higher in the middle . ?
far better to know the height of your vehicle as a total height .
mine does have solar panels on top so i know its height of it all. plus a couple spare inches so say 3mtr .
better safe than sorry.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
becareful as some of the signs arent just warnings its maximum height for a vehicle . if stopped at other side and you were higher a fine could follow.
if you look back at the article it also shows some arch bridges have height at the very top .
me i would rather not chance it .

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
:):)
Is it all mended yet?!

Should be going to be repaired next week Anthea. Had to wait for Swifts summer break before they could order a replacement window. Should only take a few days to fix.
In the nicest possible way - it's good to see I'm not the only one who's done it :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
:):)

Should be going to be repaired next week Anthea. Had to wait for Swifts summer break before they could order a replacement window. Should only take a few days to fix.
In the nicest possible way - it's good to see I'm not the only one who's done it :)
Good news are you on your travels when it's fixed?
I really felt for you as we actually reached the red chains before I shouted rather loudly to stop!! Which he did!! ( normally just ignores me!!lol) had to do the reverse drive of shame ! But didn't care ! Won't go near Rouen ever again! And used the lovely aire on the seine!!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I think it's photoshopped. I blew the image up and the '7' appears to have been overlaid. What do others think?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Do these height signs get adjusted when they retarmac the road underneath bridges?:eek:
Eventually they do. A colleague of mine hit a bridge on a Monday after going under it for months. Police were about to prosecute but they measured the trailer and was less than the bridge height. They measured the road to bridge and it was incorrect because council had renewed surface over the weekend.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
That is interesting.

It would be useful if they could put the width between the markers too so we would have a better idea if our 'vans would fit.
On arched bridges that are less than 16' 6" there is width markings where it is that height. It's usually for wagons which are, but not always, wider than Moho's

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Related - does anybody know if the height warnings refer to the maximum at the top of the arch... or the minimum at the lowest part of the arch ???

I was looking at the Norwich C&CC site for a wee trip out next week & I noticed two of the three access roads are under 'low' bridges signed at 10'3"
My van is 10 ft including aerials etc so should be ok, but would it be because they're arched bridges not flat.

*Don't worry, I'm not going to risk it if I go - just wondered if anyone knew
The height warning is between the white 'goal posts'. Outside the white vertical posts, the height could be significantly LESS than the info sign. Between the white posts the minimum height will be the height indicated on the bridge. This is referring to arched bridges.

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back