Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
My vans now parked up on my drive,can I leave it on hookup to keep the batteries topped up.The control panel switch has 3 positions vehicle ,aux and centre off,which position should it be in if its possible to do this ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
From your description it appears that your van is similar to ours (or at least the control panel is). I always leave the switch in the Aux position unless I want to check the state of the Vehicle battery. Main reason is we once knocked it to Veh by mistake whilst on site and flattened the vehicle battery :Smile:

I don't normally leave it on charge all the time, just put it on every week or two for a short while when we're not using the van (though we do try to take it out for a short run to turn the wheels every couple of weeks or so if we're not going away).

When we're not using the van I normally switch the 12v circuit off (switch just inside the hab door on ours).

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp
Mine is also parked on the drive ....... I leave my switch on the control panel in the centre ( off ) position. ( Compass Avantgarde )

On my van the on board charger will still operate when on EHU in this position.

I have a 'battery master' fitted and every 2/3 weeks in the winter months (in addition to taking it for a spin) I connect to EHU from my garage and leave it on for approx 24 hours.
I'm not sure if the on board charger is designed to be left connected to mains continuously for weeks/ months on end........so I only leave it on long enough to top up the batteries and then unplug it.
This method works for me.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mine is also parked on the drive ....... I leave my switch on the control panel in the centre ( off ) position. ( Compass Avantgarde )

On my van the on board charger will still operate when on EHU in this position.

I have a 'battery master' fitted and every 2/3 weeks in the winter months (in addition to taking it for a spin) I connect to EHU from my garage and leave it on for approx 24 hours.
I'm not sure if the on board charger is designed to be left connected to mains continuously for weeks/ months on end........so I only leave it on long enough to top up the batteries and then unplug it.
This method works for me.....
yours maybe wired differently, but on hookup the centre position is usually to power the 12v system via the charger/power supply ONLY and wont charge or use either battery.

'vehicle' or 'cab' position will charge the engine battery on hookup or use the engine battery off hookup.

'Aux' or' hab' position will charge the hab battery on hookup or use the 'Hab' battery off hookup

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp
yours maybe wired differently, but on hookup the centre position is usually to power the 12v system via the charger/power supply ONLY and wont charge or use either battery.

'vehicle' or 'cab' position will charge the engine battery on hookup or use the engine battery off hookup.

'Aux' or' hab' position will charge the hab battery on hookup or use the 'Hab' battery off hookup

Yes I think it must be wired differently pappajohn.

When switched to 'aux' the 12v system runs off the leisure batt.
When switched to 'veh' the 12v system runs off the engine batt ( not desirable! )
When in the centre ( off ) 12v system is off... but if connected to EHU in this position the on board charger will still charge the leisure batt! and the fridge will still be connected also if it is switched on.
When on site and plugged into EHU..... to use 12v system (eg lights, water pump etc) I simply switch to 'aux' and the on board charger will still be keeping the habitation batt charged

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back