Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
WheneverI go to a CC site, the first time I hook up it always trips the switches. I have tried switching all my breakers off and putting them on one by one, but i always seem to blow the trip on the first hook up. No problems at all after that. Anyone else have this issue?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
WheneverI go to a CC site, the first time I hook up it always trips the switches. I have tried switching all my breakers off and putting them on one by one, but i always seem to blow the trip on the first hook up. No problems at all after that. Anyone else have this issue?

yes,

it's caused by the inrush current to the 230/110v transformer ..

it can be resolved by throwing money at it.. ie, soft start transformer , but I never bothered ..

and you wonder why wardens hate RVs :roflmto:

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
yes,

it's caused by the inrush current to the 230/110v transformer ..

it can be resolved by throwing money at it.. ie, soft start transformer , but I never bothered ..

and you wonder why wardens hate RVs :roflmto:

To be fair the guy's at Pembrey are more than accommodating, they leave the cover open for the duration of my stay, just in case :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry if this another daft question ..... is this something that only affects RVs then? and nothing I need to worry about happening to me?:Blush:

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
Sorry if this another daft question ..... is this something that only affects RVs then? and nothing I need to worry about happening to me?:Blush:

There are no daft questions darlin'
....Only daft answers :winky:

Just remember to make sure you have no knots or curves in your hookup cable..
Electrickery doesn't like those at all.
And try to get your cable running downhill to the mh as the current arrives faster that way.
:thumb:

Last week, the site owner here managed to chop my cable in half with the lawnmower!
I wondered what the big bang was outside, I rushed out expecting to find him burnt to a crisp sitting on the machine :Smile:
He was fine and he replaced the cable for me.

:thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

Hi Joy, this only affects RVs which often need a 240/110 traqnsformer unit. Yours is a Brit built motorhome so will not have this tranformer and therefore no problem.

D.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Wise advice for you there Joy... and don't forget to keep the plugs in all your sockets to stop the electricity leaking out over night... :winky:

JJ :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Thank you JJ - I had been wondering recently why my hair stands on end and makes me look like I'd been dragged through a hedge backwards, as one's mother was wont to say, when I got up in a morning - that will be why, obviously!

I'll go and put plugs in all our sockets right away!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile:Sedge, methinks JJ hasn't read the post that says there are no silly questions ........ just silly answers::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile: good job we women know the difference:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

just an idea for next time...turn off your onboard charger/converter before plugging into hookup.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Switch on invertor / convertor after hook up

just an idea for next time...turn off your onboard charger/converter before plugging into hookup.

We have a Sterling pure sin wave invertor on our Winnebago Aspect (1500 watts) we always connect the 230v mains lead before we switch on the invertor. The fridge comes on automatic when we plug mains in as it goes direct via the 110V part of the transformer as does the microwave. But the battery charger and rest of the 230v sockets only come on line after the sterling is switched on.

We have noticed that on some Camping and Caravanning club sites the Sterling is always kicking in and out recharging the batteries but at home it is very settled and steady so one wonders if the sites either put out less power or having a lot of motor homes drawing power off the site it causes a power drain or reduced power available.

One point to always remember if you work on an RV with an invertor is to turn it off as well as disconnect the mains lead as you can have some real nasty problems if the invertor is on as you will still have mains voltage coming out of the plug sockets.

We use a useful gauge NASA - supplied by Van Bitz that tells us how many volts or amps we are using and how long left on the batteries when not using the mains, but also tells us what is going iin the form of amps and volts as well as how long left to full charge on the batteries. Wonderful bit of gear.:RollEyes:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
First, turn off everything in your rv. Plug the tranny into the ehu post first and then plug your cable into the tranny last.

This should help.

Jim
:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back