hook up abroad

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Riduna, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Riduna

Riduna Read Only Funster

Reading through my Europe site guide, I noticed the advice to make sure that I have a multi adapter for electric hook up. Does our standard hookup plug not fit in Belgium or Holland. I have visited both by boat and not had any problem with connection. Grateful for any advice you can give us.
    Mike and Viv

Essex

2. elamessa

elamessa Funster

Take one of these with you also. leaderloisirs_325x242_232.jpg

3. Hymie

Hymie Funster

We got to a site near Zeebrugge that had a standard continental 2 pin plug with a hole right through it to match a pin on the distribution board, presumably to stop reverse polarity?

Didn't have one of these but the site kindly lent us one.

Never seen this anywhere else, was gonna buy one off ebay with that "just in case" mentality but couldn't find one.

Hymie.

4. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

6. cronkle

cronkle Funster

We carry an adapter like the one elemessa has posted. The only time that it or our standard connector wasn't any good was in Switzerland where they have their own, different sockets. They seemed to be aware that this causes problems for people as they had plenty of adapters available for loan. I wouldn't be surprised if, as sites are rewired, this situation is getting rarer. Last happened to us in 2008.

7. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Before we're off in September I want to make up one of those short reverse polarity leads. I was going to buy some 25mm cable to do this and then noticed that the common europe adapter (pictured in this thread) is 1.5mm. I'm assuming then it would be ok to make my lead up using 1.5mm cable as well, he says hoping the reply will be yes ;)

8. cronkle

cronkle Funster

Why not use a foot or so off the end of the cable you already have? You would then only have to buy the plug and socket.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Good thinking, I thought of that one myself but then ...I only carry the one 25m lead and sods law being what it is, I will end up in some distant camp site a metre short of the EHU.

10. Riduna

Riduna Read Only Funster

Wow! thanks for your response, I have created an adapter off an existing cable from my boating days, fortunately, I had a french plug tucked away, always new it would come in handy. I found out what I needed from the Funsters, thank you all.

Mike and Viv
    Essex