Honfleur Aire (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29692
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Some friends, and fellow MHers although they aren't on here, have asked us to join them in spending the New Year period in Honfleur. I think it's a great idea but haven't been there before so wondered if anyone has any thoughts. We will be travelling with a 14 year old and 2 dogs.

chrisgog

Free Member
Dec 24, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Its about a 30 minute drive from Le Havre ferry. The aire caters for 100-120 vans easily. Some have electric but people said their electric was not strong enough to run their fridge so we don't bother as we have a solar panel but in the winter you may need electric depending how long you stay there. Personally I find the town very touristy and has tourist prices (pricey). A little walk to the edge of town finds cheaper bars and there is a big Leclerc there, Aldi and Lidl to stock up with. Wether a 14 year old will enjoy it I would not like to comment on. We tend to stop 1 night and move on but others like it and stay for longer so it is really a personal choice.
It is right by the town and easy walk in to restaurants and bars and there are boat trips but not sure about the winter.
Chris

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're thinking the brat can take his xbox then we have a resident dog sitter if required as well.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Park at the end nearest the town, where the picnic benches are by turning left as you enter the aire, you will be able to get water and plug in EHU there are several points and you should be fine. (Don't know if they leave everything on all year round though) You will also be far enough away from the moored boats not to be kept awake by the clanking of their masts at night if its windy. Although there are several EHU points I would take a three way extender just in case there are none free, you can get them on ebay. for about £10. very handy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
January, Honfleur aire .. it will be cold, possibly wet and windy.. staying on what is basically a car park with 14 yo and two dogs doesn't appeal .. you may get a hook up.. if you do it will probably be shared ..so only use will be for low power stuff.

The town has some amazing medieval buildings , the marina is pretty.. the shops touristy , the restaurants expensive.. think €25 for a plate of spaghetti and you get the picture. .

there is little else to do .. , a day or two at the most then you will be bored..

If you go away at New Year, we have done several times, better going to site with indoor facilities.. club house, , kids room, swimming pool or the like.. or near a town with things to do.. or go skiing at a French winter resort

Sorry to be a wet blanket.. aires are great in summer.. as are towns like Honfleur .. but not in winter...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
January, Honfleur aire .. it will be cold, possibly wet and windy.. staying on what is basically a car park with 14 yo and two dogs doesn't appeal .. you may get a hook up.. if you do it will probably be shared ..so only use will be for low power stuff.

The town has some amazing medieval buildings , the marina is pretty.. the shops touristy , the restaurants expensive.. think €25 for a plate of spaghetti and you get the picture. .

there is little else to do .. , a day or two at the most then you will be bored..

If you go away at New Year, we have done several times, better going to site with indoor facilities.. club house, , kids room, swimming pool or the like.. or near a town with things to do.. or go skiing at a French winter resort

Sorry to be a wet blanket.. aires are great in summer.. as are towns like Honfleur .. but not in winter...
Think the above pretty much sums it up really, nice place for a transit stop, some extremely good (expensive) restaurants, quaint shops and lovely architecture, think your boy might be bored off his cake though, anyhow, if you don't try you won't know, go for it, but as ScotJimland says, you could do better.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
OK as a must see for a day in Summer but for anything else I'd forget it I'm afraid much as others have said

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Honfleur isn't as expensive as it's portrayed.
We stayed on the Aire for three days a few years ago, our dog cut his leg chasing rabbits and needed Vet attention for a couple of days, and we found very reasonably priced places to eat.
I don't know where the €25 plates of spaghetti were bought but that seems the exception rather than the rule with Menu Comlet being well under €20 in many restaurants – just don't expect the Harbour view!

For best quality picture click on the 'Cog', bottom right hand side of the Youtube video, and select 480p

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Great aire for visiting the town in summer.Can't say I fancy the idea of being there mid winter with potentially foul weather, variable power etc. Still sometimes these trips can have their own wonder!

Sixbows

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Overcab bed
Exp
If your friends have kids then you might be ok as they can keep each other entertained. If not I wouldn't recommend it, it's a lovely town but likely to be cold, wet and windy. Also french new years eve tends to be a long drawn out formal meal, which is expensive and I know that my kids would have hated it.
My daughter is 17 and we are going to Benidorm for the festive period and has already started moaning that she won't have space, her straightners won't work and "how will she manage without facebook for 2 weeks":mad:
God help us.
Good luck

Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
Beware the vet on the Honfleur sea front if you are taking the dogs back over the channel....she is very expensive. The vet at La Mailleraye sur Seine is a good alternative if you are crossing from Dunkirk/Calais/Sangatte. We were charged well over 100 euros for three dogs last time, as compared to 30 something at La Mailleraye.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Beware the vet on the Honfleur sea front if you are taking the dogs back over the channel....she is very expensive. The vet at La Mailleraye sur Seine is a good alternative if you are crossing from Dunkirk/Calais/Sangatte. We were charged well over 100 euros for three dogs last time, as compared to 30 something at La Mailleraye.

And attached are the details at La Mailleraye.

Attachments

• P1050241.JPG
    P1050241.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 25
  • P1050242.JPG
    P1050242.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 24

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
Hi stayed there last week electric connection able to power our fridge and also boil a low wattage kettle. 10 euros a night with the electric free water from various stand pipes. and chemical waste disposal. baker called at 8 45 am for bread. Honfleur is a nice town with lots of restaurants menu of the day about 14 euros and above.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We use it regularly as our last but one stop from places further south as it's only about 3 hours' drive from Calais.

Big LeClerc on the edge of town near the autoroute junction, cheap fuel at the station on the right as you drive into town.

Final port of call for stretched limo Seine cruisers, popular with the Paris set, quite a few exclusive art galleries in town. Harbour side is quaint, church unusual, aire within walking distance. Deauville and Trouville close by - quite classy resorts but obviously geared towards summer visitors.

I don't know how many restaurants will actually be open in the low season - we've been there before Easter and found it pretty quiet. If they still have the menu du jour or touristique (unlikely over New Year?) you can eat for a reasonable price by the harbour or for less if you move away from the waterfront.

Not sure I'd make a huge effort to be there in winter, as it's in Normandy where it frequently pees down in summer. Each to their own however.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

And attached are the details at La Mailleraye.

Thanks for this. Saves starting another thread.

And also thanks for the advice re weather from everyone else but we only have 5 days including travel and so wherever we can get to is likely to be wet and cold unless we spend all of it driving.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Maison - the one on the corner just before you go onto the Aire, on your left in the video, is reasonable with only the shortest of walks back to your MH.

We used that restaurant and the food was okay - but not gourmet.

You can watch the ships going by if you're lucky enough to sit outside.

Seine 1.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back