Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
There was a letter in last weeks Honest John column that I found a little unsettling.

The basics of the letter are this; Man lays up his MH from October to April. He doesn't service it before lay up. Starts up MH in April and engine stalls then will not restart. Mechanic tell Man that the timing belt has slipped and that its gonna cost 3K to fix/ rebuild engine.

Honest Johns answer was; You should have serviced van before Lay up. That this is a common problem with vans that are not frequently used as condensation and oil impurities while laid up will cause to happen. Vans are meant to work hard for four years so are not built to do low mileage and used infrequently.

So my question is this, How many of the MHF community have had trouble like this? What are the lay up procedures you follow? How often do you run your engine if your laid up? Should I be bothered by this letter and his answer?

Ah that's not one question is it more like four...:Blush:

Your thought on the subject anyone?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Two alternatives here. Use the van all year round or buy a Mercedes with no silly rubber band to worry about.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Or find a mechanic who does not talk out his bum........... :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Not the first time I've heard of this. There has been a thread on outandabout website on the same subject only that one was on a van only 11 months old.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
So is it a likely problem or just another myth?

When I hear names like the "Democratic" Republic of East Germany, "Honest" John etc I am always terribly wary as to the meaning of such "words".

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It does not do any vehicle any good to just leave it standing.

One should start it at least once a fortnight and if possible move it, check brakes and clutch and park it in a slightluy different wheel position.

Reasons, gets lubricants around engine, clears any rust from discs, frees off clutch, stops flat spots on tyres. Gives battery a burst.

Peter

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Remember.. OP said it started ok then stalled

The only time a belt is likely to slip is if a pump seizes
If it was possible for a belt to slip ( unless it is completely banjaxed to start with ) for no other reason than it had stood for a while no vehicle would be safe !

I do agree with peter though.. It is good to start a vehicle at least once a month and run it until it has reached full working temperature ( sometimes difficult on a diesel I know, and difficult to take for a ride out if in storage and SORN'd )

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've heard this before - not the first time it has happened. My Fiat has a chain, so no worries there

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Use it! That's what motorhomes are for. The longest ours has been without a run is two months, even then I ran the engine fortnightly. Sometimes we'll just take her out for the day, or overnight in the local forest park, but we do use her.

Bill

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Any mechanic/dealer that we have spoken to over the years has said the worst thing you can do with a motorhome is lay it up for months on end, especially over the winter.

To leave it parked up motionless for a long time is asking for trouble.......ours is now our sole vehicle so it's used every day.
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back