Honda Genny Warning.... (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We leave the petrol in our lawnmower and never have it serviced ( a concious decision it did not seem worth paying for a service on a £100 mower) the last one lasted for 15 years!!!. Sounds like the Honda isn't as reliable as made out or optimised for fuel used in non UK markets
It depends on the type of carb more than make of engine. Better to put a small amount of 2T oil in all the petrol used.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
We leave the petrol in our lawnmower and never have it serviced ( a concious decision it did not seem worth paying for a service on a £100 mower) the last one lasted for 15 years!!!. Sounds like the Honda isn't as reliable as made out or optimised for fuel used in non UK markets
It's not like with like! You expect the Honda to run all day on one tank of fuel, so it's designed to be ultra economical, this means a small engine with a carburettor that has very small jet, by design the jet needs to be at a low point in the float chamber otherwise you would have cutting out problems if the geni wasn't level,
Again by design you must have a air vent to the float chamber and over time the fuel will evaporate leaving behind the ethanol varnish that will block the small jet, if anyone is to blame then it's the petroleum industry / government screwing more money from us by putting ethanol into the fuel in the first place,
Ethanol is a very corrosive substance to certain rubbers/ aluminium / cork plus it absorbs water that will cause corrosion when the rest of the fuel has evaporated, best solution on any engine not being used regularly is to run dry or drain out the fuel!

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It's not like with like! You expect the Honda to run all day on one tank of fuel, so it's designed to be ultra economical, this means a small engine with a carburettor that has very small jet, by design the jet needs to be at a low point in the float chamber otherwise you would have cutting out problems if the geni wasn't level,
Again by design you must have a air vent to the float chamber and over time the fuel will evaporate leaving behind the ethanol varnish that will block the small jet, if anyone is to blame then it's the petroleum industry / government screwing more money from us by putting ethanol into the fuel in the first place,
Ethanol is a very corrosive substance to certain rubbers/ aluminium / cork plus it absorbs water that will cause corrosion when the rest of the fuel has evaporated, best solution on any engine not being used regularly is to run dry or drain out the fuel!

I will now drain down the carb after every use, bit of a pain . The only alternative is use an additive.

The use of a generator can be at best periodic when used as a standby so this problem can always arise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lilyput

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
If you can access the supply pipe a pair of surgical clamps on the pipe will cut off the fuel (they look like scissors but have flat blades that can clamp). I use this method on my lawn mower and it works a treat.
Lil

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
If you can access the supply pipe a pair of surgical clamps on the pipe will cut off the fuel (they look like scissors but have flat blades that can clamp). I use this method on my lawn mower and it works a treat.
Lil
That is a good suggestion, I beleave on the Honda the fuel pipe is very flexible so even a strong cloth peg may well be suffient to stop the flow to the carb, without damaging the pipe,

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Convert to lpg, a lot safer and no stale fuel problems ever.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back