Homebrew bottle advice

Discussion in 'Home Brew Enthusiasts' started by geoffles, Dec 18, 2014.

1. geoffles

geoffles

im aiming to get something started next week, first one will be peach schnapps then couple if weeks later my beer,(space health and time permitting)

Ive got empty wine bottles for the peach schnapps.

but wondered could i use the plastic 1ltr bottles that have carbonated flavoured water in from the supermarket to bottle my beer when its ready.

2. Mike B

Mike B Funster

I know people use them for making wine in, so beer should be OK to bottle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. geoffles

geoffles

Drinking fizzy water by the gallon now

4. funman

funman Read Only Funster

I've been doing it for years, using 2-litre ginger beer plastic bottles from Sainsburys. To prevent the vile chemical taste from the soft drinks from tainting your beer, fill the empty bottles with tap water after the soft drink has been drunk, right to the top, and store them for several days minimum prior to emptying and filling (with an air gap of an inch or two) with your homebrew.

To prevent flat beer, bottle it just before it stops fermenting. I add 1 flat teaspoon of sugar per litre to the bottle before adding the beer. Screw up tight and shake well to dissolve sugar. Keep warm until pressure in bottle prevents you from squeezing it, then keep cool.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Just make Shure you sterilize them your beer should be bright clear before you bottle it.
    There is enough yeast still in the beer to condition even when clear.
    I prime my beer with sugar syrup or golden syrup using a syringe 5/6 mil to 1.5 in air gap
    And store in a warm place NOT ARING COBORD for one two weeks before removing to my caller under the stares
    a pressure barrel saves a lot of agro
    when I have got half way down my pressure barrel I have seen me bottle what is left to grate affect no signee of any yeast primed the bottles and left to condition two weeks in a warm place.
    Remember no mater how big or small the bottled you are conditioning the gap at the top of the bottle it will only store so much pressure.
    so max of 5/6 ml of primer
    when its got pressure it's conditioned
    Always wait till fully fermented out especially with class bottles as it can be very dangerous to over pressure and never over prime your beer.
    I know of some one who was seriously injured lost sight in one eye and scared for life.
    never ever bottle till fully fermented and than you know you will be safe and not have bottle's exploding in your face.
    or covering your house in beer
    BILL

• Like Like x 2
  6. rangitira

rangitira Funster

I use the 1litre P E T bottles that I get Coop Soda Water in, no problem so far!
    And joy of joys! 6x1 litre bottles take up the same room as 6 x 1pint bottles.
    As bill says, you need to sterilize them each time, the same as glass

• Like Like x 1