Home Storage - driveway chippings (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Hi everyone
I keep my van in the back garden and it currently stands on a grassy patch in the corner.
Well the weeds & grass cutting is bit of a pain, so was thinking of putting down some chippings
So, any advice on what chippings I should use please? I see in France that they use a fine cream coloured type successfully, but have no idea what it is
Any advice gratefully received
Thanks
Steve

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Cream colour could just be lime stone .If you put stone down you first need to lay some TERAM membrane down so what ever stone you use you don't lose it .You can get small amounts off Ebay relatively cheap lol.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We laid a bed of hardcore and then covered it with Angular flint. Its shape means it locks together and does not squash out and move about like the round pebble stuff does.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
As any builders on here will tell you to do it properly you will need to dig out around 6 inches of soil, lay hardcore, compact it with a vibrating plate and then top it off with your chosen finish.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As above but I would choose a gravel that crunches when walked on a good deterrent for thieves as they could be heard trying to pinch your hard worked for love of your life.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
also put in a border to contain the chippings otherwise some will migrate to the lawn. then when mowing the lawn, stones can become projectiles which can easily smash glass windows and make a right mess of a motorhome

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Hi, this is what I did to extend my front drive into the lawn area so as to drive the motorhome on to it.

Dig out the lawn to approx 8" depth. Put down approx 6" of MOT type 4. Hire a wacker plate to consolidate. Then put down approx 2" to 3" of 20mm / 25mm flint type limestone. Locks together a treat making it all very solid once driven over a few times.
This is a good time of year to do it, as the lawn / grassy patch will dig out to a nice spade depth very easily.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We were measuring up for something similar at the weekend, think it needs a good dig down and prep first.

Our only obstacle is informing our neighbours now....

OP
OP
EssexBoy
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Our garden (well, I call it a garden, it's a big patch of rough grass really) is solid clay earth. Even when the ground is waterlogged it's still like iron!!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

We're not gardeners so are more concerned with practical than pretty so the limestone chippings sounds a good shout

A quick google shows this stuff that might do the trick?
http://www.stonewarehouse.co.uk/gra...ravel-0-10mm?gclid=CPTXsISkttICFYYcGwodFBUBUg
Or this
http://www.stonewarehouse.co.uk/gra...ings-10-20mm?gclid=CPSZ3fOlttICFQEA0wod04oLiQ

I guess I'll need say four inches (10cm) deep so 8m x 8m x 10cm = 6.4 cubic metres. Any ideas on how I turn that into weight please?

Mean time thanks for all the advice so far. Much appreciated

Cheers

Steve

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Our garden (well, I call it a garden, it's a big patch of rough grass really) is solid clay earth. Even when the ground is waterlogged it's still like iron!!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

We're not gardeners so are more concerned with practical than pretty so the limestone chippings sounds a good shout

A quick google shows this stuff that might do the trick?
http://www.stonewarehouse.co.uk/gra...ravel-0-10mm?gclid=CPTXsISkttICFYYcGwodFBUBUg
Or this
http://www.stonewarehouse.co.uk/gra...ings-10-20mm?gclid=CPSZ3fOlttICFQEA0wod04oLiQ

I guess I'll need say four inches (10cm) deep so 8m x 8m x 10cm = 6.4 cubic metres. Any ideas on how I turn that into weight please?

Mean time thanks for all the advice so far. Much appreciated

Cheers

Steve
given that description of the garden i would hire in a mini digger and dig down 12 inches the fill with 9 inches of hardcore followed by 3 inches of limestone. not only will it work well as a parking pad it will help drain the surrounding garden

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you don't need a drive as such but just somewhere more solid to park the MH instead of making the whole area 'heavy duty' just put 2 runs of pavers down (firmly based of course) where you drive the MH onto and then just dig down the rest a bit, put a membrane down and shingle/chippings on top ... much quicker and cheaper.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Lay gravel too deep and it moves as you drive over it leaving wheel tracks.
Gravel drives are usually just a couple of inches deep.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
This stuff might help, found on eBay.

image.jpeg

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Basically you need a good base of hardcore with some gravel on top.
And whatever you end up with,spray with Round Up when growth reappears

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
A cubic meter builders bulk bag of sand is roughly 1 ton.....should give you a ballpark weight
Easy to underestimate quantity required. The normal bulk bag of 1 ton is about 0.6 of a cubic metre.

OP
OP
EssexBoy
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
And whatever you end up with,spray with Round Up when growth reappears
Thinking about it, you've hit the nail on the head there. I guess what I'm after is actually making this bit more manageable where the van stands.

As I said, the ground is always rock hard all year round. In two years that the van has been in this spot and driven over all year round, there is next to no sign on the ground - even the grass isn't worn!!!

I really like the idea of KISS and putting down a membrane & as thin a layer as possible of the limestone chippings, but never having done it before, I'm wary that I'll get the "no mowing", "no/not many weeds" effect I'm after...

Thanks again

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We had a small lawn at the front of the house which was really just a nuisance as you wouldn't want to sit out there. We dug it out and had a couple of tons of blue slate chips delivered. Looks nice when the van is not there and water drains away with no wheel marks or limestone mush.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would put down some of the plastic reinforcement as in badknees post and gravel on top. If the area is already draining well and all you want is mud free acess why not just make a path with a few squares to the m/h doors

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would put down some of the plastic reinforcement as in badknees post and gravel on top. If the area is already draining well and all you want is mud free acess why not just make a path with a few squares to the m/h doors or just a row of slabs

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
If the ground is rock hard, lay some black HD polythene to stop vegetation,timber edging to contain stone, lay 100mm of type 1 sub base(Recycled crushed concrete if available) level with garden rake, roller or vibrating plate to tighten surface.No problems

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Whatever topping stone you use suggest keeping it quite large - we had a pea shingle path & became a loo for all our neighbours cats! The delivery people & post lady weren't too impressed either as constantly dodging humps on the path :eek: No problem with larger stones like slate (does break down with use) or chardstock (very tough).

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
Just had the front of our property done and wanted the cream colour without the golden flint coming through which is commonly used, so went for the:

Yorkshire Cream...

Purchased through a company called Gravelmaster online. Its 20mm variants so wont get stuck in the tread of your tyres and spread down the road everytime you leave the driveway!

Honestly looks really good and not stupid money!!

OP
OP
EssexBoy
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Thanks everyone.... Will consult the boss for further instructions on final choice of materials :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back