home sky card

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by wp1234, Oct 20, 2010.

1. wp1234

wp1234

Looking for some advice from the experts . I have a Maxview FTA set box installed but would like to take advantage of my Sky HD subscription in the van .
    Can I simply buy a 12 volt sky decoder and use my home Sky card in it when we leave the house or is the card linked to the home machine ?
    If so what 12 volt decoder would i be advised to buy ?

Thanks in advance

2. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

We run an old type (non HD) Sky box in our van.

It is mains so can be used on hookup or run on an inverter when off hookup.

The card was interchangable on most options between the box at home and the one in the van, but I believe Sport and Films may be coded for the particular box (not certain of that as we don't have these options).

John

3. dealgan

dealgan Read Only Funster

As far as I know, the sky card will only work in the sky box it is "linked" to.

i.e. When I got a new sky HD box, I had to phoen up & give them the card number & box number before it would work.

I assume if i got a new box I would have to phoen again to enable that box instead.

Declan

4. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

these days with sky you either have to unplug your house box and put it in the motorhome or phone them in advance to register the motorhome box as you leave and then re register the home box when you get home

sorry, but they are damned awkward these days.

not like the old days when you just took your card out and plugged it in another box

5. carpyone

carpyone Read Only Funster

6. Satandpcguy

Satandpcguy Funster

you can use a sky card in ANY Sky receiver and still receive the FTV and skys "6 mix" channels.
    The card only needs to be paired to the sky box for Sky Sports, Sky Movies, and some ESPN channels, and the Sky HD pay channels.

7. drago35uk

drago35uk Funster

:RollEyes:
    Spot on!
    This I have done in the last few months

8. OwnedbyCollies

OwnedbyCollies Funster

We have a sky plus box at home and an older sky box in the van (runs off a small inverter on 12v). Our card works in both but we don't have premium channels like sports or movies (which I understand are linked to a particular box as stated before).

If its a quick weekend jaunt and we don't want to watch anything special we don't bother with the card and 'make do' with the Sky free to air channels. One of the main things we need the card for is Eurosport for the cycling but there's not much of that around in winter!

There is a list of all of the Sky free to air channels here -

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/free-to-air-channels/

9. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Spot on.

We have a 12v Pace Minibox in the van if we're not desperate for anything, but if I want Footie we take the Sky+ box with the dedicated card.

We can even record a channel if necessary but can't watch something else at the same time as at home as it's only got the one input. How much to put a dual LNB in?

10. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

they sell for about a tenner on ebay. I got an 8 outlet lnb for about twenty quid last year works a treat :thumb::thumb: