Home security ....

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Sas r us, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

has anyone had any experience of wifi cameras, as in the ones that call you if they see any movement in your home....

Similar to this ...
    image.png

2. berni109

berni109 Funster

not that particular one but have just bought a cheepy from china and am very impressed.
    cost £20 with full tilt and swivel. very easy to set up but you might want to look at the youtube setup vid to make sure you have interpreted the printed instructions correctly.
    it sends an email with a photo of whats caused it to alarm - movement detection - more correctly image change.
    you can control it remotely -away from home but it looks more difficult to set that up.
    hth

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Not yet as I have someone stay at mine when away .. but it becoming inconvenient. Looked at the Maplins light switch control one and was impressed.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

Most cctv systems have the ability to remote monitor or sent you email alerts when movement is detected (you can configure specific cameras and zones if you wish) they just connect to your home internet connection (wired or wifi)

Personally, I just use an app to 'have a look at home' whenever I feel like it...
    The burglar alarm calls if something more sinister might be happening.

We're away at the moment, quite reassuring to take a look
    image.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

As above we have external and internal cameras that sends pictures of movement. The internal only sends pics when were out.
    We can connect to watch and listen live if we need to.
    Good quality pics and good night vision ranges too.
    Screenshot_2016-08-09-10-45-44.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. movan

Are we talking hundreds or thousands to have these installed please?

7. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

The ones I'm looking at Joy are about £30 and do much the same, I'm going to get one for indoors and one looking out the front of the house....

There is lots to choose from on eBay....(y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. movan

Oooh PLEASE Keep me informed. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Same as with any type of security device. The cheapo DIY ones are what they are, fine if it's only for your peace of mind but useless for anything else.

10. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

Exactly ..... If I'm away it will tell me someone's in the house and I can call a neighbor or the police .... And the one outside I can tell if my cars been nicked.

Where I live is a very low crime area and I have good neighbors....

Just going to get them for peace of mind and to check while I'm away for months on end...(y)

• Like Like x 1
  11. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We used to have quite expensive Panasonic cameras ... we now use y-cam stuff. Easy diy. We also have a couple of ir floodlights.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. NickNic

If that's all you want then it will probably be OK.

Two main things to be aware of:

The images from the camera won't be "evidence" quality for the purposes of identification and your insurance company won't recognise it as a valid system so won't give you credit for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. mikekaren2

mikekaren2 Funster

Hi, what brand ir floodlights did you get and any recommend suppliers? I have fitted 4 external cameras but need to enhance the ir in one area.
    Any help appreciated.

Mike

14. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

@mikekaren2 Omg we've has them ages. . I can't remember ..I'll have a look for something similar and post it here

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lorryman100

Lorryman100 Funster

We have a couple of the BT home cams set up to monitor the house when we are out. They can also save video footage to the cloud for 2 weeks, send you a text when the detect movement and you can monitor the cameras video through your phone using the BT app. They come up in sales every now and then on the BT website and we got 2 for the price of one. Had them about 2 years now and still work flawlessly.

www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-smart-home-cam-100-077232-9C5D.html

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

@mikekaren2 I've had a look and can't see them but an eBay search for IR illuminator brings up various models with varying ranges. Sorry I can't be more help.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NickNic

@Sas r us

I've been looking at these

https://ring.com/stickupcam

I've no connection with the company and haven't actually used any of the products yet so I'm not recommending them but I like the look of the doorbell in particular. The feature that I really like is the ability for 2 way communication over the system.

I know they aren't cheap but I'm very much of the opinion that you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to security.

Also with reference to my other posts these products are no different in insurance terms than any other DIY type system.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. NickNic

2 camera kit from Screwfix with a digital recorder £149.99. Most of the money there is in the recorder.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/qvis-005-4-channel-960h-cctv-digital-video-recorder-2-cameras/4487f

Installation of this type of kit is basic DIY.

Just to give you an idea of the difference someone we used to work with who owns a proper security/alarm company was quoting £500 per camera about 7 or 8 years ago. Recording facility on top of that. These were obviously top quality cameras, installed by a proper company and backed up by all the proper accreditation. The difference between the system in the link above and one of his could be compared to the difference between a Mini Metro and a Range Rover.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  19. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

Thanks for that Nick, the security thing I'm not much fussed about as in "if they want in, they'll get in" so I'm not after a deterrent.... More of, it will text me that there is movement in the house which In turn I can phone the police or neighbour or to check in that the house hasn't burnt down..:eek:

I live in a rural area and someone could, if they knew I was away take their time and completely empty the house out via the back door without anyone seeing or hearing them..... So what would suit me is just to have a look in my lounge now and again where the camera would be and see that all is well....(y)

• Like Like x 1
  20. NickNic

The deterrent factor is what I need and it's part of what I like about the Ring kit. Nobody's going to break into our place through the front. When they came in before it was through the back and if they have another go it will be the same way. I quite like the idea that if someone comes into the garden and triggers the camera it will call me and give me the opportunity to challenge them. Someone over a speaker saying "Good evening can I help you? You are on camera and the police have been called" would be enough to scare off your average scrote but to get that with a conventional CCTV system generally starts to get expensive.

• Like Like x 2