Home made tracker using a smartphone (1 Viewer)

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I've just been browsing old posts about this subject and came across this from @buttons :

.... Here is a tracker for the Android if it takes your fancy, as recommended by StitchUp this FREE real time tracker is brilliant, it gives position and mph just like your sat nav but can be viewed by anyone who you nominate to view. .... . http://www.greenalp.com/RealTimeTracker/index.php?page=home&error=Not+authenticated

OK, so I have an old HTC Desire S Android smartphone kicking around and I'm bored ... so I'm thinking I could just use the App that @buttons mentions and secrete the phone in the motorhome, connected to an always-live USB socket. The solar panel should continue to keep the batteries topped up even with this continual low load.

Let me be clear, I am not trying to implement a tracker that will be accepted by an insurance company but just provide a little bit of extra security for next to nothing (just the cost of a PAYG SIM service). I am slightly concerned about leaving this old phone on charge the whole time. Am I putting the motorhome at risk as a result of the phone catching fire? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Some older phones can be run off USB with the battery removed. Worth a shot as it is a battery malfunction that is your greatest fire risk.

Be aware that the sim card in the phone needs data access and of course will only fulfill the required function if it has mobile data signal and GPS signal (and power)

It will need to be logged in to a Google account. You should probably make this a brand new account you never use otherwise it will be plagued with notifications.

OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Thanks @mjltigger - will try what you say.

Bother! The no-battery option didn't work! However I'll set the device up again using a different Google address.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
We got a tracker unit for£14 of e bay you call it and it sends location works well

OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Thanks @Lofty1 but this is really about me trying to find something useful to do with an old smartphone that isn't worth selling! If I can get it to (safely) provide a simple tracker service then it will make me feel better than if I just leave it in a drawer!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Leave it on charge at home for a week or so and see if it gets hot... if not put it somewhere in the van where you can check it regularly....

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i would rather use the £20ish chinese immobiliser tracker. you can track it and immobilise the van by phone and even set up a virtual fence so it texts you if the van is moved, must check the paperwork as i think it also has an optional input to text you if the alarm is triggered as well. all works using a pay as you go sim card of your choice

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You could "wrap" the phone in a fire retardant material like a fire blanket (y)

OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
The issue may have resolved itself! I left the phone on charge (via USB connection to PC) last night running the tracker software. This morning the battery is dead!
Now what else can I use an old smartphone for.....?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The issue may have resolved itself! I left the phone on charge (via USB connection to PC) last night running the tracker software. This morning the battery is dead!
Now what else can I use an old smartphone for.....?
Have you got a wobbly table?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If anyone else is thinking of using a smartphone for this and worried about the risks of the phone getting hot while being charged, you could always use one of these to put the phone in. Assuming you can still get a signal while it's inside....
https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/emax-lipo-battery-safe-charging-bag

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have just bought , as it was highly recommended by other Funsters. For basic operation does not require text, you call it and it sends a text with Lat & long position with a link to Google maps. You can set a perimeter so if the van moves it automatically sends a text, can be linked to door switches & siren to work as an alarm & an output with a relay you can use as an immobiliser. Enclosed in an aluminum. You can set it up for constant monitoring using data if required.
I found it does not work with a Three sim I put a Giff Gaff sim in it as that appears to be what most people use with this device.

OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
OK - I give up! The technology works just fine and I've got my old smartphone acting as a useful tracker. However the killer is that it is locked to Vodafone and on their PAYG SIMS it costs £2/day to use any data. Yes, that's £2 every day! Forget it!
I know I could pay to have the phone unlocked (there are no free unlock services for this type of phone) and then use a "3" SIM but it would be much cheaper to just buy a tracker on eBay as has been suggested above.

All I was trying to do was to make use of an old smartphone that was lying in my drawer. Guess where the smartphone is going.....!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have just bought , as it was highly recommended by other Funsters. For basic operation does not require text, you call it and it sends a text with Lat & long position with a link to Google maps. You can set a perimeter so if the van moves it automatically sends a text, can be linked to door switches & siren to work as an alarm & an output with a relay you can use as an immobiliser. Enclosed in an aluminum. You can set it up for constant monitoring using data if required.
I found it does not work with a Three sim I put a Giff Gaff sim in it as that appears to be what most people use with this device.
Did you connect it to the hab battery or vehicle one and will it make them go flat quickly? looks just the sort of thing I might be interested in.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would look at using the FreedomPOP sim in a device like this, it provides 200mb a month free of charge, this is probably enough if just using for tracking purposes.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
he
Did you connect it to the hab battery or vehicle one and will it make them go flat quickly? looks just the sort of thing I might be interested in.
I connected it to the vehicle battery as it gets topped up by the solar/lesiure batteries. It is supposed to draw about 100ma when charging the internal battery which takes about 4 hours if flat then the current reduces to about 45ma, just checked mine it is taking 60ma doesn't sound much but that is nearly 12a/h a week.

OP
OP
Bill_OR
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
As a result of me abandoning this little tracker project I have a Vodafone PAYG SIM with £3 credit that I no longer have a use for.
Is this of use to anyone? If so let me know and I'll pop it in the post to you. I just ask that you make a small donation to a charity.
Bill

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I'm not in the market for Sims, but you made the right decision.

Charging 24/7 in a motorhome is at best an uncertain idea, especially when the dedicated ones are so cheap to buy and easy to fix

I use Trackimo, gives me position, route, "fences", speed, movement alarm etc via web, email and text. Cost less than £70, annual SIM charges for unlimited data, $49

Plenty of others on the market

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back