Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
Went to Heart OF England Conference Centre this weekend l was marshalling an OCR race. Popped into the slot yesterday seemed ok when l checked and walked on it. Then came to leave this morning. Going forward l thought something was wrong it was edging like we were in treacle without thinking l stopped l think that l should have kept moving.
The ground was just a long front wheel slide, l didn't want to dig us deep or make a JUGE mess but thankfully ended well with the RD bless him giving us a 3ft (thank goodness not far) tug to get CB's front tyres onto the road.

Question 2) As we will be doing a lot more in CB at OCR and lots will be field based. Apart from thinking all is well and getting caught out l am thinking of something to help when parking.
Toying with the idea of 2 carpet cut offs about 2ft wide and 3mts long, l lay them upside down and l reverse in over these and leave the front wheels on them and just roll up the forward excess. To go unroll and self made tank tracks.
Does this seem feasible?

Question 2) Should l have stopped or just kept going at an edge forward?

Thoughts and advice please :)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
just keep on going. I nearly got out of p/boro . only got stopped at roads edge. it was only about 1.5 inches high but it got me stopped.

OP
OP
Bulawayo Lass

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
Many thanks for those yes heard about bread baskets but it is getting hold of them unable to do unless any ideas.

Both tracks look good, possibly a bit short but pricey?

Hence thinking of long carpet and the idea is l would be stopped on the carpet not actually have to get onto then when l move..would still think carpet with any of the 3 above due to extra length.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought some bread trays on eBay nearly 3 years ago which were a reasonable price (ÂŁ27 for four including shipping). The seller, Brands Equipment, appears not to sell on eBay any more but there are contact details Here.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Another cheap? option are the rubber door mats from pound shops.. Wilco etc

buy say six (three for each wheel ) and use cable ties to join together to make a long mat .. they will roll up quite neatly
Park on the end ready to drive off ..
Been using these for a while now...work great, and when not deployed they are in the footwell

hadnt thought of using more than one and joining together though...excellant idea(y)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
These look to be worth a try to me - I've heard that if you park on them, they don't sink in as much as you'd expect them to. Worth a go!

Broken Link Removed

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I tried it with carpets once when I got stuck at mothers when she lived in cumbria. The only thing that happened was that I moved forward a little bit then the wheels spun and the carpet shot with a lot of force across the garden. The carpet was well knackered and sopping wet with mud and cat poo. It is my opinion that carpets would be a waste of time.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Many thanks for those yes heard about bread baskets but it is getting hold of them unable to do unless any ideas.

Both tracks look good, possibly a bit short but pricey?

Hence thinking of long carpet and the idea is l would be stopped on the carpet not actually have to get onto then when l move..would still think carpet with any of the 3 above due to extra length.

https://www.alisonhandling.com/used

Maybe able to get some bread baskets here....hope this helps

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Just a few days parked on wet grass can leave you in a wet hollow.
I've tried a few flexible mats but found they just slide under the wheels and get ejected rearwards.

I now carry 4 lengths of gravel board (Wickes) and when on grass, park up on them - drive off, keep going and then go back for the boards.
Worked every time for me.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Get a pair of these. The 25mm thick ones will be more than adequate. I bought thicker ones which are very heavy, but could probably carry the Hymer over a ditch!
http://tracmat.com/index.php?id_product=14&controller=product

Also, consider fitting winter mud and snow tyres (for all-year use) - I have and they grip very well. Fit to all wheels of course, not just the driven ones.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I'm using 25mm galv steel mesh 400mmx 1mtr, got them from the farm, they were used to pen day old chooks originally. I carry them on the Bike Rack

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Another vote for M&S tyres, got enough crap in our garage without toting muddy mats around.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I bought some bread trays on eBay nearly 3 years ago which were a reasonable price (ÂŁ27 for four including shipping). The seller, Brands Equipment, appears not to sell on eBay any more but there are contact details Here.

Did you say you BOUGHT them, Graham.??:Eeek:
Jeez, job's gone soft.
I need a lie down at this revelation!:whistle2:

I purloined mine(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Did you say you BOUGHT them, Graham.??:Eeek:
Jeez, job's gone soft.
I need a lie down at this revelation!:whistle2:

I purloined mine(y)

Ditto!!!. Well known Yorkshire bakery "lost" half a dozen when they miraculously appeared in the back of the lorry after a drop?. Used to park a 22000lb D-P. on them never had to be towed once!!.

Pete

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
I use the mats that are used in playparks, the ones that go at the bottom of slides. I was able to get one, cut it up into 4 sections, each 18 inches wide by about 48 inches long. They are almost an inch thick, and I always park on them. Would really recommend.

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
I carry these with me bought from coopers of stortford but available elseware.

ST09397i.jpg

Phil.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I had rubber mats but have ordered the Tracmats from ebay..

Off Road 4x4 Bridging Ladders Waffle Boards - Tracmat - 1220 x 310 x 38mm

Broken Link Removed

very fast delivery and very pleased with them.. (y)

but they are heavy, 14kg per pair, and you would need a garage to store them.. serious bits of kit ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back