Home made BUTTER (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I was going to have a try at butter making today (or wasting my time according to some:whistle:) but I haven't been able to get into the kitchen as my better half has taken it over to make a cake featuring volcano and dinosaurs for grandson's second birthday party.
Though I suppose it would have been a lot easier to pop into Tesco.o_O

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Wish I could cook. I tend not to even bother since I live myself most of the time and theres only so much you can put in a freezer. Cooking for visitors is usually something simple.
That's a bit sad if you don't mind me saying so. :) The original Delia Smith books are brilliant as they cover everything. Very cheap on eBay : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1316...ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

I use her recipe for potatoes gratin dauphinois (which sounds posh but isn't) quite often, it goes very well with tarragon chicken - which perversely isn't in her book but Google will find a recipe.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
View attachment 85833 Inspired by @chocksaway , I tried to make butter too.

Seemed successful though, and made soda bread with the buttermilk.

Well as it happens you inspired me to make Soda bread with the buttermilk ! I have only made it with water before :( but this time it was super tasty (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Last week of school before end of term and I have my kitchen back - it was worth me moving out as the cake was fabulous - so in time for Christmas I will be giving it a go.
Have often made soda bread with bought buttermilk before so that bit is a bonus. My theory is that if succesful then cream is often on offer just after Christmas as stores have overstocked.;)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
cream is often on offer just after Christmas as stores have overstocked.;)

I am preparing my self for a home made butter mountain after Christmas (y) (hmm, must check if I can freeze buttermilk)

Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
I checked on that and it is suggested that the best way is to pour it into ice cube tray and once solid then bag them up. Good for 3 months in freezer - but I suspect it could be longer.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I checked on that and it is suggested that the best way is to pour it into ice cube tray and once solid then bag them up. Good for 3 months in freezer - but I suspect it could be longer.
Nice, thank you (y)

Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Somewhat off topic but thought you might like to see the Dinosaur Cake that kept me out of the kitchen. The three cakes were baked a few days earlier so it was the creative bit that took most of the day. The base board is 12 inches square to give an idea of the size. At the party two large sparklers were on top. It was bloomin' heavy!!

DinosaurCake.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Surely, if you make butter with cream near it's sell by date the butter will go off sooner? Needs someone to experiment on themselves, but no photographs of the consequences please, I know what diarrhoea looks like!

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Surely, if you make butter with cream near it's sell by date the butter will go off sooner? Needs someone to experiment on themselves, but no photographs of the consequences please, I know what diarrhoea looks like!
Ah, funny you should say that....... French butter is made from 'cultured' cream which is cream allowed to 'go off a bit'. It can also be produced by adding yoghurt to the cream and leaving it out at room temperature for a day or two....

So cream that is veering towards 'sour' is actually good for butter making (y)

Reactions: DBK

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Well as it happens you inspired me to make Soda bread with the buttermilk ! I have only made it with water before :( but this time it was super tasty (y)
Thats interesting, I've not seen a recipe that uses water! As an alternative you can use sour milk, which works well. I find the easiest way to sour it is to either show it to the mother in law, or, failing that, add a little white wine vinegar (but keep tasting until it tastes just sour enough, as opposed to vinagerry).

Never buy soured cream for the same reason, you can always make something non soured into soured, but can't reverse the process.

Glad you enjoyed the soda bread

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Surely, if you make butter with cream near it's sell by date the butter will go off sooner?

As I understand .. could be wrong of course, it's the buttermilk that goes rancid.. not the fat .. hence the importance of squeezing all the water out with the butter pats or by hand..

Butter kept in the fridge has a long shelf life.. it can also be kept frozen up to a year.

What I have noticed is that the home made butter is much harder than shop bought.. and stays hard for a while even on the table..
I can only presume that's because it has less water in it than factory butter..

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ah, funny you should say that....... French butter is made from 'cultured' cream which is cream allowed to 'go off a bit'. It can also be produced by adding yoghurt to the cream and leaving it out at room temperature for a day or two....

So cream that is veering towards 'sour' is actually good for butter making (y)
Probably also down to the type of bugs in it. Yoghurt bugs good, listeria* bugs bad.

*Except it isn't that simple. The current BBC Radio 4 Food Programme (on iPlayer) is about cheese and it mentions this story about cheese being seized by the food police because they didn't know about good and bad listeria. But probably best not to use unpasteurised cream for your butter unless you know it is safe. http://www.thecourtyarddairy.co.uk/...-lanark-blue-and-the-great-cheese-battle.html

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for the thread @chockswahay another seed sown, have printed recipe and off to get cream tomorrow. Already produce home made bread so the butter will be a bonus:xThumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Another batch of butter made today..

This time I used Double Cream.. at £1.50 for 600 ml

2 x 600ml yielded 500gm butter , so £1.50 for 250gm

this time the butter feels softer ....

Also another made another batch of sausages using pork shoulder and 21mm casings .. will use for pigs in blankets on Christmas day dinner..

yummy .. just had two with fresh bread and butter for breakfast :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Will you lot STOP ... I'd love to do this but there's no blooming room in the fridge or freezer for anything as hubby's been stocking up on Christmas grub!!!!!!

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Will you lot STOP ... I'd love to do this but there's no blooming room in the fridge or freezer for anything as hubby's been stocking up on Christmas grub!!!!!!

Minxy, the problem is an easy one to solve...........

Make Butter today, make bread today...................

Then EAT IT ALL IN ONE GO :ROFLMAO:

No fridge or freezer required (y)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@scotjimland you inspired me to buy some butter paddles Jim....... I bought some Kilner ones of Ebay

Today I made a 350g slab of butter, 205g buttermilk remained so this worked out equivalent to £1.15 for a 250g pack

I am a happy boy (y)

P1260722.jpg

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi @scotjimland

Just thought I'd mention my 'whipping cream' butter......

Yesterday Morrisons had 'Whipping Cream' reduced to 15 pence per 300ml pot. However the fat content is only 38.7%. I bought 8 pots on the basis of why not???

Well, I have just made my first batch and the results are as follows:

1200ml of whipping cream made 575g of butter and 565ml of buttermilk :D It did take a little longer to 'churn' but the results are just as tasty as double cream butter.

I have now set aside the other 1200ml of cream and mixed it with 30g sourcream, 30g creme fraiche and 60ml of buttermilk. This lot can 'brew' at room temperature for 24 hours and then I will make 'cultured' butter. I made some last week and it was really tasty.....

So then............. as you said a few posts back...........cheap butter (y)

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2011/06/how-to-make-cultured-butter/

:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Today's bargain...:)

with a short date.. 2 pint carton of double cream in Makro.. £1

bought two.. so well stocked up with yummy butter in the freezer

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Ha! Here we are 4 weeks after my original posting ................ still making butter (y):D

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
See post No 80 :)

Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Interesting article about butter making including culturing. It is American so is in cups and fahrenheit but good nonetheless.
T'is here: Dodgy Link Removed

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
So then, back after 4 weeks away and I'm making butter again (to go with this mornings fresh wholemeal sourdough cob that just came out of the oven :D).

I just wondered ........... anybody here still making butter? or has the novelty worn off?

Me? I love it and will continue to make butter at home. It is tastier, cheaper and more fun than opening a pack of 'factory stuff' (y)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just when you thought I'd left the building .......... ;)

I am so happy with this mornings 'butter production' that I could not resist a piccie and a post :D

These two are my 'next generation' cultured butter. I started on Friday by mixing 600ml of double cream with 60 ml of Bio yoghurt, warming it to 75f (24c) then leaving it in a kilner jar at room temperature for 24 hours. At this point it had thickened nicely so I put it in the fridge overnight. This morning I took it out of the fridge for 2 hours to warm up to 15c before making it in to butter.

After 'flushing' the butter I was left with 360g of butter and 100ml of buttermilk (ready for Soda bread tomorrow;)). I decided to add 2% sea salt to the butter in the butter dish and left the round one one unbuttered......

Just had some on Kates home made Tea Bread :D

So for those of you wondering how I will occupy my spare time with out the van now (apart from the bread of course) ............ don't worry, I'll manage (mmm, might have a go at Creme Fraiche next) (y)

P1280102.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back