Home made BUTTER (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Steady Jim, you'll be limbering up next for baking 'proper' bread in the morning to go with your proper butter :D

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@ScotJim seriously 'tho Jim, it's really satisfying to watch the butter form in front of you.......... check out that web link I put up earlier, it just gives you the extra 'tip offs'needed (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Steady Jim, you'll be limbering up next for baking 'proper' bread in the morning to go with your proper butter :D

been inspired to bake a Christmas cake.. albeit a bit late.. but better a late home baked.. than a Tesco's special

hence the shopping trip tonight

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Got a better idea for that Buttermilk.

BUTTERMILK PIE
This is a great recipe for Buttermilk Pie from the Hairy Bikers TV show. Buttermilk is the liquid part that separates away from the solid butter when we churn our Norfolk Butter. It makes a great marinade as it is slightly acidic, but can be used in many baking dishes too. This recipe is incredibly simple and very effective, combining the great tastes of vanilla and lemon in a light custardy, swirly mix. If you are having a “Delia cheat” moment, simply use a pre-made pastry base or you can use a crumbled biscuit base like for a cheesecake. Delicious!

Ingredients:

1 cup/250ml Nortons Dairy Buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup caster sugar (this quantity makes it very sweet – use less if you don’t have such a sweet tooth)
100gms Nortons Dairy Norfolk Butter, softened
5 eggs
2 tbsps/30gm plain flour
1 lemon – juice and rind
1 large pastry shell

Pre-heat oven to 200oC. To make, simply cream the butter and sugar together, then add the eggs one at a time. Add the remaining ingredients and pour into the pastry shell. Cook for 10 minutes, then turn the oven down to 180oC and cook for a further 40 minutes, or until firm. Serve with a sprig of mint and fresh whipped double cream (Nortons Dairy, of course!!)

Made this a couple of times, it's handsom!!!

Keith :cool:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Pikeman that looks great (y) but there is no filling :confused:

Edit: My missus just informed me it's a custard tart :rolleyes:

Nice! :)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
image.jpeg
Inspired by @chocksaway , I tried to make butter too.

Didn't find it quite so easy, nearer 10 minutes than Chock's 4 and a half.

Seemed successful though, and made soda bread with the buttermilk.

Chocksaway - how much buttermilk did you get please? I only got about 150 ml out of a 600ml of cream - thought I'd have got more.

Thanks for the inspiration :xgrin:

Results above (tried to put picture at the end but couldn't..)

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I made butter last night for the first time in my life.......

I can not believe how easy it is to make (y) It is a form of Alchemy :)

Started off with 600 ml of Double Cream, placed in the stand mixer and whisked until done! I slowly ramped up the speed every 30 seconds and within 4 1/2 minutes I had butter!...snipped

Or, if you don't have access to the gizmos, you can just use a clean, screw-top, glass jar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9I0zSo4slo

a bit physical - but it does work and great for small quantities (y)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I think our Christmas cheese selection is going to have some special butter to go with it this year.;)

My son used to do this in his chefy days and has been tempted to make some again for home.(y)

Can you freeze buttermilk to use another time?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Easy way of getting your sticky fingers on Butter! After all THIS! is 2015, and we are shall we say more used to finding easier ways than our ancestors.
Go to S/market/corner shop/ where ever, search Dairy Section find yellow stuff, generally in a foil packet, labeled "BUTTER"
Now then just to confuse you ! it's "Unsalted" or "Salted" if you choose the cheaper one, you are also buying WATER!!!, the more expensive, (from a land far far away!) contains BUTTER FAT! real BUTTER!
Locally, and from across the Celtic Sea? Water! Water! Water!

Make your own? GOOD LIFE it ain't Yes it's great for the first time ! "oo look I've made butter" You will soon get tired of it! I'll bet my left testicle on that!, you are not milking your own Cow! just playing! buying Double Cream and all it's presevitives at the shop

Enjoy the experience, you'll soon be fwed up with it, and popping in to get the real thing from a S/market

And Remember, for a Cow to give milk/ cream, It must give birth, and the calf has to be removed from the cow, so you can have the milk/cream, Poor old (generally 1 day old) Calf goes to France, Mangez mangez!

Last edited:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Wish I didn't open this thread its done me diet no good at all
two slices of wholegrain in the toaster ,tub of kerrygold ,and a lump of Davidstowe extra mature on the sidelines ,no sugar in the tea though :xgrin:
Thanks for sharing :xsad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Tried this evening.. and great success.. butter tastes fantastic..

the economics..

2 x 600ml Extra Thick Double Cream from Tesco's cost £1.70 each = £3.40

Yield was 600gm of butter and about a pint of butter milk which was yummy

So it cost 56p per 100 gm or £1.40 for a 250 gm block

which compares very favourably with good quality bought butter

will I do it again.. ? yes.. most definitely .. :xThumb:

DSCF2446.JPG

J H

Funster
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
It's best when you buy cream at the reduced counter - near it's sell by date - the butter is then much cheaper. By the way, the 17th century style butter churns are in the loft.

P.S. Don't forget the rinse and squeeze the butter well or it goes rancid rather quickly. Butter pats help this process a lot.

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Easy way of getting your sticky fingers on Butter! After all THIS! is 2015, and we are shall we say more used to finding easier ways than our ancestors.
Go to S/market/corner shop/ where ever, search Dairy Section find yellow stuff, generally in a foil packet, labeled "BUTTER"
Now then just to confuse you ! it's "Unsalted" or "Salted" if you choose the cheaper one, you are also buying WATER!!!, the more expensive, (from a land far far away!) contains BUTTER FAT! real BUTTER!
Locally, and from across the Celtic Sea? Water! Water! Water!

Make your own? GOOD LIFE it ain't Yes it's great for the first time ! "oo look I've made butter" You will soon get tired of it! I'll bet my left testicle on that!, you are not milking your own Cow! just playing! buying Double Cream and all it's presevitives at the shop

Enjoy the experience, you'll soon be fwed up with it, and popping in to get the real thing from a S/market

And Remember, for a Cow to give milk/ cream, It must give birth, and the calf has to be removed from the cow, so you can have the milk/cream, Poor old (generally 1 day old) Calf goes to France, Mangez mangez!

I think that sometimes a soap box is just too high :rolleyes:

Might be worth investing in a false testicle, you're gonna need it :p:p

We make these foods to feed the soul as well the body :D

Last edited by a moderator:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We make these foods to feed the soul as well the body :D

this is so very true..

@rangitira
we don't make products at home to save money or time.. if it's cheaper, that's a bonus..

for me the main thing is quality and freshness, unadulterated by chemicals and preservatives.. it's educational.. and a great hobby .. I've been making homemade stuff most of my life but since retiring now have plenty of time to indulge ..

bread
sausages
preserves and chutneys from local picked free fruit
meat smoking

had hens for a while, fresh eggs are lovely..
and all manner of baked and home cooked meals.. and now butter.

others make home brewed wine and ale....

it's also nice to learn old skills and teach our kids that food doesn't grow on supermarket shelves.. and if we only do it for a few weeks or months.. where is the harm.. does the fisherman count the hours and cost catching that cod, trout or salmon..

you can't beat home made for quality, taste and freshness.. you would also be the first to condemn factory made Cornish pasties.. ;)

now where's that pasty recipe with carrots .. :xlaugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
View attachment 85833 Inspired by @chocksaway , I tried to make butter too.

Didn't find it quite so easy, nearer 10 minutes than Chock's 4 and a half.

Seemed successful though, and made soda bread with the buttermilk.

Chocksaway - how much buttermilk did you get please? I only got about 150 ml out of a 600ml of cream - thought I'd have got more.

Thanks for the inspiration :xgrin:

Results above (tried to put picture at the end but couldn't..)

That all looks tasty! I got 200ml of buttermilk and 335g of butter from mine. I did read somewhere that the 'fat content' of the cream is a good guide to how much butter you can expect ......... mine was 50.5g........also it might be affected by how long/fast you whisk? Before rinsing out the butter I squeezed it in my hands like a ball and some more liquid came out. To be honest I'm clutching at straws here as I have only ever made butter once.

Did you salt any of the butter? How did the soda bread taste? (I have never made soda bread with buttermilk....)

:)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Tried this evening.. and great success.. butter tastes fantastic..

the economics..

2 x 600ml Extra Thick Double Cream from Tesco's cost £1.70 each = £3.40

Yield was 600gm of butter and about a pint of butter milk which was yummy

So it cost 56p per 100 gm or £1.40 for a 250 gm block

which compares very favourably with good quality bought butter

will I do it again.. ? yes.. most definitely .. :xThumb:

View attachment 85854

I'm impressed Jim. You did say you would re-visit the idea and you have! The butter looks great, those Welsh Pats came in handy (y)

Did you salt any of the butter?

My wife noticed that Asda offer 2 x 600 cartons of cream for £3.00. Also I wonder if 'extra thick' is any different from standard?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Very topical - my boy Whippet stole a 1/2 pound from the butter dish yesterday. It made him sick and flatulent. I like it though :).
You like your dog's flatulence!!!! You need to get out more ... :censored:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm impressed Jim. You did say you would re-visit the idea and you have! The butter looks great, those Welsh Pats came in handy (y)

My wife noticed that Asda offer 2 x 600 cartons of cream for £3.00. Also I wonder if 'extra thick' is any different from standard?

due to high blood pressure I try to avoid adding salt to food ..

I would think extra thick has a higher fat content and therefore yields more butter.. but it's more expensive.. so cost per gm has to be factored in :xlaugh: but will also try normal double cream and compare yield..

and yes.. the butter pats were great.. (y)
bought them about three years ago on ebay .. :rolleyes:
always plenty on sale.. under a tenner

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@ScotJim ah I understand.

I'm going to see if I can find Jersey double cream next time :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Possibly not as it has the same fat content:

From Nigella's team:

In the UK there are several types of cream. Single, whipping and double cream come in pourable form. Whipping and double cream can both be whipped. In the last decade a type of cream has also appeared in supermarkets which has been labelled as "extra thick cream" or "spooning cream".

This cream usually comes as "extra thick double cream" and has the same fat content as double cream. However after pasteurizing it is heated and then cooled quickly, which gives the cream a thicker consistency. It is not as thick as clotted cream which is made by heating and then slowly cooling the cream and skimming off the thickened "clots" for cream. Clotted cream has a much higer fat content than double and extra thick cream.

Extra thick cream is usually served spooned over desserts. It can also be used for cooking but it is not suitable for whipping.

From Wikipedia:

In the United Kingdom, the types of cream are legally defined as followed:

Clotted cream 55% is heat-treated Served as it is. A traditional part of a cream tea.
Extra-thick double cream 48% is heat-treated then quickly cooled Thickest available fresh cream, spooned onto pies, puddings, and desserts (cannot be poured due to its consistency)
Double cream 48% Whips easily and thickest for puddings and desserts, can be piped once whipped
Whipping cream 35% Whips well but lighter, can be piped once whipped
Whipped cream 35% has been whipped Decorations on cakes, topping for ice cream, fruit and so on.
Sterilized cream 23% is sterilized
Cream or single cream 18% is not sterilized Poured over puddings, used in sauces
Sterilized half cream 12% is sterilized

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-12_10-9-59.png
    upload_2015-12-12_10-9-59.png
    245.4 KB · Views: 5

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Wish I could cook. I tend not to even bother since I live myself most of the time and theres only so much you can put in a freezer. Cooking for visitors is usually something simple.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Extra thick cream is usually served spooned over desserts. It can also be used for cooking but it is not suitable for whipping.

thanks for information.. so no point in buying extra thick

it may not be suitable for whipping.. .. but it met it's match in the KitchenAid mixer.. butter is great.

edit

just checked the fat content of the Tesco Extra Thick cream

pot size 600ml

it is given as 50.5 gm per 100ml , so 303gm per 600ml

= 50.5% fat

Last edited:

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Never thought I'd be learning about cream on a motorhome site!

It didn't occur to me to check the fat content, I just picked up supermarket own brand "double cream" . Looking at the pot, the fat content is stated to be 47.5%. Next time I'll see if there is a higher fat content available.

@chockswahay yes, I salted the butter. Got the Swmbo seal of approval. Did the squeezing bit too but of course the buttermilk that came out at that stage ended up in the cold water.

As I don't have butter paddles, I improvised using 2 fish slices (the tool, not two slices of haddock just in case anyone is confused).

Soda bread was very tasty, it accompanied a nice sirloin and salad last night. Interestingly I have only ever made it with buttermilk!

Happy days:xThumb:

J H

Funster
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Can't remember if it's been said before but start off the butter making with the cream at room temperature rather than straight from the fridge. The butter comes together more quickly, this is useful when churning by hand instead of an electric mixer. When we had children churning butter we added water so that it took longer so keeping them occupied longer :xThumb:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@J H That's a good point, I forgot to mention it. I did let the cream sit in the mixing bowl for about an hour beforehand......

I'm learning and I love it :D

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
you can't beat home made for quality, taste and freshness.. you would also be the first to condemn factory made Cornish pasties.. ;)

now where's that pasty recipe with carrots .. :xlaugh:

Cruel:Eeek: How could you be so cruel!:crying:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back