Home hook up ~ water proof box ? (1 Viewer)

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Hi Folks

I want to fix a hook up point in the garden, I have all the cables and sockets but Im struggling to find a suitable box to house the socket in to keep the rain out.

I have seen some plastic boxes on Amazon etc but didnt quite look as though they fit the bill.
What do you guys use, if you have hook up of course.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Can't you fit a IP rated external socket, Electricfix £25/30 and get a commando to plug converter

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
But if its tipping it down and its plugged in its still going to get wet in the gubbins, no ?

No it is waterpoof - the cover goes over the socket and plug. Ours has a gasket around it and even here in Scotland in a gale and rain storm it is waterproof.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I use one of these, as used at most UK campsites.
outlet 16 Amp.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a socket in the garage which we use and the cable goes under the door that way no one can interfere with it.
They can't nick the cable either! (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Use a proper IP rated socket like either of the ones suggested in this thread and install it correctly and you don't need to put it in any kind of box.

They are both weatherproof and designed to be used outdoors.

Note: I did say installed correctly. (y)

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
There is a difference in 'weatherproof' ratings. True waterproofing as in a flood situation is beyond us diy ers. If all you want is a rain proof connection point then the Nexus one described above is more than ample for a 3 pin 230v plug. However, if you only want a dedicated plug in to your 'hook up' cable you could buy this...
mains-hook-up-garage-socket-240v.jpg
£9.99 from Caravanstuff4u online. It would need wiring in by a competent person(as would all the others.)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Im struggling to find a suitable box to house the socket in to keep the rain out.

Do you have a B&Q nearby? They'll have loads of these outdoor waterproof enclosures to choose from now, just take a look in their outdoor Christmas lights isle (y)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I bought one of those too but are they water proof ? ? the original thoughts was to put that in a water proof box.

I have one of these mounted on the outside wall of my garage and it has been in constant use every time my caravan/motorhome has been at home in the drive - ie all times when not away camping for the last 30 years!!

Testimonial enough I guess :)

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
Is installing a garden socket something I am allowed to do as an unqualified person under the Electrical Regs. (I live in England)?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is installing a garden socket something I am allowed to do as an unqualified person under the Electrical Regs. (I live in England)?

Unless it's changed in the last couple of years no it isn't.

There are some people more up to date than me that will know for sure. @Techno @pappajohn ?

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
[/QUOTE]

I really don't know the "official" answer to that - all I know is that I installed my set up myself and it is still fine after 30 years!!

To be candid I am/was a qualified electrical/electronic engineer by trade so I did know what I was doing but then again that sort of installation is hardly complicated!

Do use good quality fittings though including an additional RCD/ELCB trip device! :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Any competent person can install electrics but it should be tested prior to use and the tester too can be a competent person. So if you know what you are doing? If you are installing a NEW circuit I believe this requires part P building inspection. If spuring off and existing power circuit you should be free and clear.

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
Any competent person can install electrics but it should be tested prior to use and the tester too can be a competent person. So if you know what you are doing? If you are installing a NEW circuit I believe this requires part P building inspection. If spuring off and existing power circuit you should be free and clear.
Even spurring an outside socket Andy?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back