Home Central Heating

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by TM59, Feb 7, 2012.

1. TM59

TM59 Funster

Made a mess of the first post so here I go again.

To the lucky people who can escape our winters for a couple of months in the sun, can I ask how you leave the central heating at home.

On/off. System drained or whatever?

Are there stipulations from Insurance Companies?

Anyone do it remotely?

Any advice welcome.

Trevor

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If you do it now, you can go back to "H" and using edit delete it. Make sure you tick the box.

3. buttons

buttons Funster

A lot of them have sold their homes to enable them to live in their motorhome, but I would prefer someone to live in the house if I were away, maybe a house sitter or at the very least have someone calling in on a regular basis. A lot can happen if you leave the house and I'm sure that the insurers would at least want to be made aware that the property was to be left empty for an extended period. I have seen adverts on here for house sitters.

4. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

As someone who returned from a wonderful holiday in Thailand a few years ago to find the ground floor under 3 or 4 inches of water, my recommendation would be this, thanks to my Father-in-law's great advice after the event.

Leave the central heating on CONTINUOUS, but set the thermostat to 15 degrees or so.

This way the pipes ought not to freeze, and you won't have a flood when they thaw out, as we did.

One positive came of this calamity. The work we were going to do to the house ended up being done under the insurance claim.

But the 9 months spent in another house was not something I would recommend to anyone.

5. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

That bad huh, give us the address and I'll make sure I don't:Laughing::Wink:

Whenever we leave our house for any length of time I always leave the thermostat on the frost setting, that way it should look after its self:thumb:

Ps We leave our heating on continous all the time anyway and use the thermostat to control it.

PPs Hi and welcome Trevor:thumb:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Remotely? How?:Mellow:

7. sedge

sedge Funster

As I just said on t'other thread

There's usually an unoccupancy clause in your household insurance for periods of unoccupancy - eg exceeding 30 days during the months of Oct-Mar inclusive all water pipes shall be drained and the supply turned off at the main, and you can only leave your CH on if it has a frost-stat setting. Plus they also want regular inspections made (at specified intervals) by a responsible party.

8. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

When away in the summer we switch everything off, in the winter we leave heating on continuous but at a very low (seven degree) setting.

Sedge raises an interesting question about insurance. I have become convinved that many motorhomers just don't bother, but most house and content insurance has an unoccupied clause of 30 or 60 days, and its often not enough just to get someone to pop in now and again. My insurance (with the camping club) allows 180 days, by far the most I could find.

Its a similar tale about leaving a motorhome and flying back, eg for christmas. Its expressley forbidden in many insurance policies (including mine, Safeguard) but I know many people do it and I also know from talking to people that they have not read the fine print of the policy.

Personally I wouldn't take the risk in either case.

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Also check with your insurance company if your policy covers your home for damage caused by squatters and the not inconsiderable cost of having them removed.

Empty House Insurance is available..

10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I set ours to the frost setting when away,even in the summer. It doesn't come on of course in the summer but you never know when you might get some freak weather.
    We have just come back from a week in the New Forest, where it was cold (-4) but no snow to our storage depot which had 6inches of virgin snow. House was 9C when we got in, just waiting for it to get to our normal 21C.

11. Arthur01

Arthur01 Funster

Keeping a house warm

You can install an 'inteligent' thermostat which has the ability to give various set temperatures at different times of the day. They also permit you to set a temperature for a period of time whilst you are away.
    If you look up Honeywell CM927 it has the ability to set a holiday temperature for up to 99 days.

Regards

Arthur:thumb: