Home built slide out! (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have been unhappy with the standard and quality of my UK built 7 meter MH for some time and often thought of building my own conversion.

One of the draw backs is that van conversions are not really big enough for our type of use. IE full time for 8 months a year, so I just had an idea!!!!!!! Has anyone ever seen a slide out from the back of a panel van?

and what do you think of the Idea??

Doug

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have been unhappy with the standard and quality of my UK built 7 meter MH for some time and often thought of building my own conversion.

One of the draw backs is that van conversions are not really big enough for our type of use. IE full time for 8 months a year, so I just had an idea!!!!!!! Has anyone ever seen a slide out from the back of a panel van?

Doug

Hi Doug

I think it's a great idea .. there is a yank B class with a rear slide.. will try to find a picture .. :Smile:

Jim

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Doug

I've always thought the big problem with a PVC is width.

A PV with big side door is ready made for a slide out. If you copy their strengthening then you could probably enlarge the door opening.

Hmmm - slide out --- drop down ??? Drop down would allow a settee/full double bed across the vehicle. Don't know how you engineer the walls and roof though. But it is easier to engineer a hinge than a slide.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi doug get a truck . theres some nice ones on the market now. if you fit a slide out on a van what about weight ,unless you go for a 814 merc or something . keep looking on e bay theres alot of stuff out there .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
found a pic
Link Removed

not the one I was looking for..

Link Removed

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
never been a lover of slide outs .can make it very awkward to use the vehicle if in a place you cant use it , internal space is used up. +if wild camping looks abit cheeky if you know what i mean. some canadian company used to do a small slide out on the back of type 2,s made it sleep 4 downstairs.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Some years ago a small British converter made a rear slid out on a VW transporter,for the life of me I can't recall the name. MMM featured it quite a lot,it was the tyoe of unit that did not take up a lot of space inside,in fact the side widows lined up with those on the vans's body,thus not losing any light.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Just buy an RV and save all the messing around. :thumb:

I would have thought a home made slide out would be a bloody nightmare, very heavy, very costly and very difficult to seal/weatherproof properly.

Have a look at the B+ class RVs they are quite narrow (mine was 93") and they do a 20 foot long model with a side slideout. :thumb:

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
hi doug get a truck . theres some nice ones on the market now. if you fit a slide out on a van what about weight ,unless you go for a 814 merc or something . keep looking on e bay theres alot of stuff out there .

Yes it was the 814 Merc I had in mind, a truck is a no go as I dont have parking room at home for it.

Doug...

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi doug.. all i can say is you pay a premium if you buy an 814 van . i think its better to get an 814 truck n fita low box . keep the tilt cab much better for engine work etc. its not to hard to make a crawl through ,it can be quite large. running gear is the same but inital cost is less.plus easier to insulate with square sides. if you get one with side skirts or make some it can look very smart . lots room on top for solar. in my element here ,have been involved n built lots. :thumb: i also think its good to keep to 7ft 6in. width so you can sneak in the tight places.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
never been a lover of slide outs .can make it very awkward to use the vehicle if in a place you cant use it , internal space is used up. +if wild camping looks abit cheeky if you know what i mean. some canadian company used to do a small slide out on the back of type 2,s made it sleep 4 downstairs.

A little bit naughty when you've got a 5th wheeler. Plenty wasted space there. Forget who did it but there was a panel van conversion with a side slider. :RollEyes:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi derek,,i havnt got a slide out . mine was a working truck before convertion.not much space wasted in mine its only 20ft trailer .now i have a double cab truck it only just clears on jacknife. buit it so it dont waste space.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back