Holy Island of Lindisfarne

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Stewart J, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Parked on the causeway watching tide come in this afternoon. Boy its quick and so deceptive in calm weather conditions. :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

It almost reached the car park on the mainland side.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  2. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Anyone know ???

In the photos, which side were you on ?
    I have often wondered what would be the case if you were "accidentally" trapped on the island when the tide came in !!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  3. WillH

WillH Funster

When the tides in the pubs are probably open, that's what used to happen 40 years ago as I recall.

Rgds
    Bill

4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

It's not far from here and is one of my places to go when I need to get perspective or am troubled - in the summer it is packed with visitors round the village but still deserted up on the north shores.

There are always a few idiots how think that the tide tables can be ignored.... best excuse last year was "oh, I didn't think it applied to tourists"..... they walk among us indeed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. makems

makems Funster Life Member

Almost 50 years ago I went there on a 6 th form school trip in February.
    After us lads had done the mead factory tour and had our free samples and it being about 11:30 we headed across the green to the pub opposite.
    The door was locked so we banged on it a few times following which an upstairs window opened and a rather testy bloke yelled at us "whaddya want?"
    "When do you open?" We asked.
    "Easter. Now f@ck off!"
    Fortunately there was another pub.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Still relatively quiet on the island. Forget all those expensive toys and computer games give an infant a bucket and spade and all is wonderful. :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

Taken on the causeway late afternoon today once weather cleared.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      100.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      100.1 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We have been 'accidentally on purpose trapped' ... :Blush: It was a good few years ago and we stayed in the car park tucked up out of the way. Once we'd had our BBQ tea we went down to the short to watch the beautiful sunset with the locals who didn't bat an eye-lid about our being 'stranded' there and were very chatty and welcoming. It was a lovely evening. Our elderly pet rat, Sprite, who had had a lovely time there having his bit of BBQ then a potter in the sand dunes and a paddle in the sea (yes, really!), decided to snuff it in the early hours of the morning. :cry::cry::cry::cry: Very upsetting as he was more like a member of the family, but he went out 'happy' and we buried him in the dunes so it is a special place for us.

Last time were were up there we stopped overnight in the car park on the mainland just before the causeway, it was lovely until a pillock in the battered old motorhome parked up afterwards and let his dog run around being a constant nuisance and then ran a bl**dy generator for ages!!!! :Angry:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Just google earthed the Island, massive car park on edge of village with a no overnight parking notice !:cry: Just who is going to police that !!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

that's the car park we stayed in when we 'stranded' ourselves there, but it was a good few years ago. Actually, from what I can recall I don't think there were any restrictions on you actually parking in the village itself ... if anyone lives near there perhaps they could have a trip and check .... :BigGrin:

10. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Visitors are not supposed to park in the village itself but to use the big carpark on the road in. In the off season the traffic is very light and I usually park in the car park after the Catholic Church (opposite the house with "Bra Cottage") but I wouldn't park there in high season as it isn't fair on the residents.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Granjan

Granjan Funster

I know this place well and in my opinion if crowds of motorhomes went there it would spoil it ..... there are car parks at both sides of the causeway and the Islanders are friendly but doubt they would appreciate the masses, it is best when most people have gone home ....... Maybe 1 or 2 at a time!

The Barn at Beal allows stopovers £15 per night no electric but toilets and showers and a cafe. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1