Holiday in the States

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Northy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Northy

Northy Read Only Funster

I'm thinking of going to the USA for a holiday next year and was contemplating renting an RV, does anyone have any advice or experience in this area like where is the best place to go for renting. Also what size can I drive over there I have a standard UK driving licence that allows me to drive upto 7.5T here? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Keith

2. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Hi Keith we have had two 3week hols in USA in recent years .When you first arrive you expected to stay first night in hotel. Our first started in San Francisco 2 nights in Holiday Inn , did Alcatraz cable cars golden gate bridge etc. picked up Cruise America 26ft C class in Oaklands. travelled to Petaluma then Lake Tahoe ( had Grizzly visit at bbq) on to Yosemite Death valley Hoover Dam Bits of Route 66 to Williams, Grand canyon (helicopter etc) then on to Las Vegas , and L A finished 2 nights in Hollywood Roosevelt overlooked manns chinese theatre and the walk of fame. Went to Disney and Universal. Many lovely RV park stops log fires etc. Flew back from LAX

Next one we flew to JFK stayed 3 nights in Holiday Inn in W35th Manhattan, saw all the sights including helicopter over the Hudson and around Liberty, Ground Zero Time Square Empire State etc.
    Picked up El Monte RV from New Jersey went up east coast to Cape Cod did whale watch boat trip from Plymouth, went on thru Adirondack up to Canada, Toronto CN tower, then on to Niagara back thru Watkins Glen and finally New Jersey.

Both trips were unforgettable, incredible. We are doing another in 2010 either Seattle and the Rockies or down south New Orleans , graceland etc.

I have a full licence with c1+e etc . I believe your licence has the same entitlement over there.

Plan trip carefully its awesome

Larry

3. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

We had an unforgetable 3 weeks hiring through motorhomebookers.com we rented a 31 feet Winnebago Outlook from Roadbearrv Middletown NJ. We took in NY State, inc Catskill Mountains, Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, Niagara Falls, Buffalo, Oneida Lake, The Adirondacks, then Burlington Vermont, Kangamagus highway NH, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and back through NY State to New Jersey. It worked out for 18 days, rental, fuel, campgrounds, everything £1800. Around £100 per day. Wonderful memories. Can't wait to go back.
    Craig.

4. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Oh by the way, you don't need a special licence to drive any RV in the States, however you are not allowed to collect your RV the same day. You have to have at least one night in an hotel first. l assume its to make sure you have rested before going on the roads.
    Craig.

5. Northy

Northy Read Only Funster

Thanks all, gives me a great deal to think about really fancy doing the West Coast.

Keith

6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

We did a five week tour of the west coast and just hired a car and stayed in hotels/motels. I know from when I considered an RV in Florida the car/motel probably works out cheaper and a lot easier for visiting tourist hot spots.

dont get me wrong I love motorhoming but its a case of horses for courses I fink:BigGrin: