hole in the wall (gang not included) (1 Viewer)

rosielea

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Hi, my husband had some repairs done recently on our driveway which involved a road drill. I had to go out to a meeting and he assured me that he would move my motorhome to a place out of the way, not to worry! When I returned home I found the motorhome within a few feet of the work being done...and a small hole (tiny, but worrying) punched into the side of my Autocruise Starfire by a flying stone. Is there a way of repairing this without involving huge sums of money (ie by a professional), and if so, what is the outer layer of the wall, does anybody know? Please? She is an old lady, 1997, very game and loyal, but not worth, really, spending the £2000 some random man my husband showed it to (I know, why? Who knows!), and if that can be safely avoided I would be delirious with happiness.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if its fibreglass an easy cheap repair with car body filler if aluminium a little bit more involved could use an epoxy filler, smooth off then stick a decal of some sort over the top so you don't have to match the finish. Either way done for under £20 if you attend either of the Ilfracombe rallies I'd gladly fill it for you. Various Decals available off of eBay.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi, my husband had some repairs done recently on our driveway which involved a road drill. I had to go out to a meeting and he assured me that he would move my motorhome to a place out of the way, not to worry! When I returned home I found the motorhome within a few feet of the work being done...and a small hole (tiny, but worrying) punched into the side of my Autocruise Starfire by a flying stone. Is there a way of repairing this without involving huge sums of money (ie by a professional), and if so, what is the outer layer of the wall, does anybody know? Please? She is an old lady, 1997, very game and loyal, but not worth, really, spending the £2000 some random man my husband showed it to (I know, why? Who knows!), and if that can be safely avoided I would be delirious with happiness.

Depending where the hole is you might try fitting a side marker (reflector, bought from any accessory shop) over the hole, that should seal it without looking out of place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Me too!
Duty of care springs to mind.
Just a mention of the Small Claims Court will probably get them to shell out for proper repair.

OP
OP
R

rosielea

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Thanks

Many thanks everyone for your help, when I mentioned collaring the company that did the work paying up my husband almost had a fit. He says it was his fault for putting the moho where it was, and I mustn't rock the boat it seems! But it sounds from what others have said that I can put the problem right myself. So the chap husband talked to who said the whole panel needed replacing (hence the £2000), and most people would right her off!!!!! Well really! She has only done 38,000 miles and goes like a bomb, also she is very clean and tidy.
Thanks again folk!

OP
OP
R

rosielea

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Thanks again

And thank you Wildman for your help, I am not going to Ilfracombe, but I wish I was, you are all living up to your description of friendly and helpful. ::bigsmile:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Many thanks everyone for your help, when I mentioned collaring the company that did the work paying up my husband almost had a fit. He says it was his fault for putting the moho where it was, and I mustn't rock the boat it seems! But it sounds from what others have said that I can put the problem right myself. So the chap husband talked to who said the whole panel needed replacing (hence the £2000), and most people would right her off!!!!! Well really! She has only done 38,000 miles and goes like a bomb, also she is very clean and tidy.
Thanks again folk!

I should say so! What's all this nonsense about sueing the company and 'duty of care'? Why are there so many people about who fail to recognise that they have a 'duty of care' themselves and should ssume certain basic responsibilities and excercise them accordingly! It's always someone else's fault, isn't it? Never your own !

All due compliment to 'Hubby' for recognising his failure in this case and not trying to pass it on to the contractor .....

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Me too!
Duty of care springs to mind.
Just a mention of the Small Claims Court will probably get them to shell out for proper repair.
With statements like this johnp, little wonder we don't very often agree. Who's duty of care are you referring to.:Wacko:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
With statements like this johnp, little wonder we don't very often agree. Who's duty of care are you referring to.:Wacko:

Hi Buttons,
Don't really know what the problen is with my post.
Irrespective of the position of the MH, the workmen have a duty of care not to damage other people or their property.
Surely they can be held liable in the TORT of negligence in carrying out work likely to cause damage prior to the removal of the MH?
Unless the MH owner had instructed them to go ahead and risk damage, they must be liable for the damage, surely?
(I know...Don't call me Shirley!)
Often just the mention of SCC and the adverse publicity involved sparks action.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Hi Buttons,
Don't really know what the problen is with my post.
Irrespective of the position of the MH, the workmen have a duty of care not to damage other people or their property.
Surely they can be held liable in the TORT of negligence in carrying out work likely to cause damage prior to the removal of the MH?
Unless the MH owner had instructed them to go ahead and risk damage, they must be liable for the damage, surely?
(I know...Don't call me Shirley!)
Often just the mention of SCC and the adverse publicity involved sparks action.

I'll answer that ... and save Buttons the trouble, although at the same time probably deprive him of the satisfaction of doing so :winky:

The problem with your post is that your obviously one of those people who don't want to assume responsibility of their own action, or, in this case, the failure of their own action. Most people that I know of don't refer to it as 'the TORT of negligence' but use lesslesspompous terms such as 'common sense'. That, obviously, is what 'Hubby' has. Could it prove to be infectious, do you think ..... :RollEyes:

OP
OP
R

rosielea

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Sorry to cause a row!

Sorry I seem to have caused friction. Actually, my husband rarely accepts responsibility for his actions! I think he was worried in case the contractor came and dug the drive up in revenge lol!!! He doesn't like confrontation of any sort. The only problem I have with his attitude(I have, after all, lived with it for 42 years) is that when he was told by his equally cheerful friend that it would cost me £2000 to put right, he saw no reason why he should cough up for the repair. I wanted the moho, I bought the moho, my pocket has to stand any repairs, though he does enjoy trips in it LOL!!!

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I'll answer that ... and save Buttons the trouble, although at the same time probably deprive him of the satisfaction of doing so :winky:

The problem with your post is that your obviously one of those people who don't want to assume responsibility of their own action, or, in this case, the failure of their own action. Most people that I know of don't refer to it as 'the TORT of negligence' but use lesslesspompous terms such as 'common sense'. That, obviously, is what 'Hubby' has. Could it prove to be infectious, do you think ..... :RollEyes:

I find this post offensive.
Firstly: "depriving Buttons of the satifsaction" (wink).
Childish!
Buttons and I have disagreed on many issues, but we agree to disagree on the issues, not resort to personal insult.
That's called intelligent debate, a facility you "obviously" lack!
Secondly: Who the hell are you to determine what sort of person I "obviously" am?
The short answer is NOBODY!
I do accept responsibility for my own actions, but if you read ALL the posts here and identified the issues, rather than woffling on about nothing, you will realise that everyone (including builders) is responsible for their actions.

The issues are:
Damage has been done.
It shouldnt have been done.
Who is liable?
Is it worth pursuing?

Everything expressed by all posters is nothing more than opinion.
Are they also irresponsible people?

As for being "pompous":
The term used was for the sake of accuracy. Someone like you would no doubt come along and correct "common sense" for TORT.
Cant argue about basic lack of common sense, by the way.
Yes, the guy should have moved his MH prior to work starting, stupid not to.
This doesnt alter the fact that any professional workmen would or should not operate tools likely to cause damage

Buttons,
Still dont know what the original problem was, it only underlined others' opinions.

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I have to agree with the guy who said you should write it off :winky:

Let me know where I can pick it up and i will gladly take it off your hands and pay you scrap price :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

David

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Children - go out into the playground

Not about the playground.
I have expressed no more opinion here than others, in some cases the same opinions.
On a supposedly "Fun" forum, we should not expect personal attack from some pillock who disagrees!
Has said pillock attacked others?
NO. That makes it personal.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
I find this post offensive.
Firstly: "depriving Buttons of the satifsaction" (wink).
Childish!
Buttons and I have disagreed on many issues, but we agree to disagree on the issues, not resort to personal insult.
That's called intelligent debate, a facility you "obviously" lack!
Secondly: Who the hell are you to determine what sort of person I "obviously" am?
The short answer is NOBODY!
I do accept responsibility for my own actions, but if you read ALL the posts here and identified the issues, rather than woffling on about nothing, you will realise that everyone (including builders) is responsible for their actions.

The issues are:
Damage has been done.
It shouldnt have been done.
Who is liable?
Is it worth pursuing?

Everything expressed by all posters is nothing more than opinion.
Are they also irresponsible people?

As for being "pompous":
The term used was for the sake of accuracy. Someone like you would no doubt come along and correct "common sense" for TORT.
Cant argue about basic lack of common sense, by the way.
Yes, the guy should have moved his MH prior to work starting, stupid not to.
This doesnt alter the fact that any professional workmen would or should not operate tools likely to cause damage

Buttons,
Still dont know what the original problem was, it only underlined others' opinions.

:restmycase:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

What case is that, then?
You have made no point and no sense other than an unwarranted personal attack.
MY turn to rest MY CASE!

In case you were wondering, Yes, it was you I was referring to in my previous post.
Crap begets crap.

Buttons, you surprise me.
What is there to "like" about a quote followed by a smilie?
You are normally better at debate than this!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Come on lads, enough of the handbags ::bigsmile:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb057c6ZU_c[/ame]

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
No handbags, Jim.
I thought personal attacks were a no no on here?
I have made one, in reply to personal remarks and assumptions.

Attack the post, not the poster?

Buttons,
I used to enjoy our "bouts". Don't let someone else answer for you.
You are better at it than they are.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If anyone is interested in a great bargain this week both Asda and Tesco have Chablis reduced from £10 to £5 a bottle. Good time to fill your wine rack.
One of my favorites. Cheers!!!!!!:thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I notice the originator of this post (rosielea) is a relative newbie, I wonder what she thinks she has let herself in for with her seemingly innocuous post turning into a battle of the ego's.

OP
OP
R

rosielea

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Gooney, I am agog and am overcome by fits of giggles, but was at first aghast at the furore I had created. Now I get the impression this is an ongoing thing and not really my doing, I was merely a catalyst to re-ignite what has gone before. I did however get an answer to most of my question for which I am very grateful and will keep a close(amused) eye on the goings-on within the forums.

Crikey,am I likely to have set another one off... :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back